Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry, all of the people complaining need to shut up. If you are comfortable dressed to the 9's, then by all means wear a tux every night. But some of the rest of us are also paying OUR thousands of dollars for these trips, and we deserve to enjoy ourselves too.

I don't think t-shirts should be worn, and shorts I'm not entirely crazy about. Nice khaki shorts are fine, but saying shorts are acceptable I can see as getting into areas of abuse.

But as for no ties on formal nights and jeans, I'm ALL for it. I swear, listening to some of the people on this board when this topic comes up reminds me of the 80 year olds in churches today who complain that "what's wrong with the church today is we don't sing the old baptist hymns anymore." Well, guess what? Times change, and today's generation wants contemporary music that speaks to THEM. Just like todays generation wants to dress in what is acceptable to them.

Yes, there must be some standards, but if you want the cruises to only be for stuffy country-club types, then go pay double the cost somewhere else.

Carnival Conquest April 2008
Carnival Conquest April 2009

Old February 26th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Admiral

We love to dress up on the "2" nights...It is a wonderful change other than going to the corner bar...

It looks so nice to see everyone look their best. Torn jeans and t-shirts at a Wedding looks out of place also, but it is still done.

These are just opinions. They are also suggestions to the new ones who are cruising. No one on any cruise will ever tell someone that they are dress wrong.
There is class and then there is class.

As for the ones who don't dress up nice for the 2 Formal Dinners, I don't care...there are not that many. We who like to dress up will continue to dress up and feel great while doing that. Those who don't dress up will continue to feel good because they don't have.

Darlene(Red)
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Passenger

I don't think you will ever hear me say "My prime rib and lobster don't taste good because that man or woman over there is wearing jeans or shorts.
They sit down in a chair scoot up to the table and I don't see the jeans, short,
or butt with the writing on it until after dinner when I'm fat and happy. To each his or her own I'm not going to let someone else's clothing choice ruin my cruise.
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Admiral

I wouldn't let that ruin my cruise either....

I guess I am living in the 60's also...I do love to get dressed up...

I don't like seeing the writing on the back of shorts ANYTIME...that is just me maybe??

The times they are a changing...that doesn't mean I have to... I am too old to change now...

Darlene(Red)
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Passenger

Ooh, back to the eternal debate, it's been posted a 100 times.

There are those...

Who want no dress code or almost no dress code. I've seen baggy skanky, dirty jeans with ripped up hems, holes, and pot leaves embroidered on them. Remember, they are still jeans and those who desire to wear them have the same argument as those who think the dress code should be relaxed.

Dining in restaurants across the country has become more and more relaxed. As that has happened servers (formally waiters and waitresses) have relaxed dress codes themselves. As a general trend service has suffered a great deal. I had experiences in restaurants where requests to refill a water glass have been treated with indignity. I treated their tip with indignity as well. I waited tables for four years, so save your barbs. Had I treated customers in that manner, I would have lost my job.

The resaurants themselves have become less formal. I've seen barnyard style floors and painted concrete ceilings become the norm.

Cruise ships present upscale dining. As less formal dress codes prevail, so will the dining experience become less formal. If elegant dress disappears, so will elegant china, crystal, linens, and table settings. Cruise dining will slowly de-evolve to Cracker Barrel, Jack in the Box, Wal-Mart standards. Those standards have their place in society and I enjoy them often. Different cruise lines offer different standards and for that I am grateful. I can pick and choose as I please.

But to those of you who state that other's dress doesn't effect you, you are mistaken. The cruise lines will adjust their levels of elegance to match that desired by their customers.

Which cruise line will be the first to have belching contests on the pool deck? How about beer chugging contests? How many people can we squeeze into a hot tub?

So to those that criticize the older generation, do so, but don't expect to enjoy the same level of elegance they did. And remember they are simply desiring what is comfortable to them as you are desiring what is comfortable to you. You are expecting them to change to accomodate you, but you won't change to accomodate them.

Like I said, I'm glad there are choices.

Steven
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Steven:
All I can say is....

Beautifully Said!!!!!

Thank you
Darlene
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default I was also surprised to see...

that Princess also now allows jeans in their dining rooms. We just sailed on the Emerald Princess. It was nice some nights to just wear a nice blouse and nice jeans.

Plus, like somone else mentioned, with the airlines getting much stricter with how much you can take, you can make jeans stretch a long way!!
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:07 PM
First Mate

Eloquently stated Steven, I could not agree more.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Passenger

i think that swim suits should be the only thing not allowed... its your vacation you are payin fot ir you can wear what you want. no one can tell you what to wear and what not to.
carnival conquest- 2004
carnival pride- 2005
carnival valor- 2006
carnival conquest- 2006
carnival triumph- 2007
carnival victory- 2008
carnival triumph- 2009
=]
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy
i think that swim suits should be the only thing not allowed... its your vacation you are payin fot ir you can wear what you want. no one can tell you what to wear and what not to.
And if someone who paid wants to wear a swim suit, why are you allowed to dictate that they shouldn't"?..... using your theory.

There's not just rules for dress, there are also rules for behavior. If everyone who paid for "their vacation" decided they can behave any way they feel because "they paid" I'm betting most people wouldn't want to be there.

I think the key is finding is the cruise line actually deciding what rules they want to put in place, and then enforcing ALL the rules, not just the ones which are convenient.

As far as dress codes go.. On NCL they have a casual dress code, no suits required , but for dinners you can't wear shorts.

The point is there are cruise lines who offer different rules and different ambience. People should chose the cruise lines that match closest to what they are looking for, rather than expecting the cruise lines to change to what they want. There are options out there.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I just on Carnival Imagination and I saw people wearing shorts, t-shirts and jeans in the dining room every night. Certainly not the majority, but there were a few people every night. Obviously they didn't care about the dress code at all.

I have always maintained that cruises should be less formal than they are, especially Caribbean and other tropical cruises, so I like this. I also like the idea of no tie required ever.

BUT...

Even Oceania and other deluxe lines figured out that casual is best many years ago, but they get "nice" casual, not sloppy casual. So,
I just wish Carnival would say something like - Shorts or Jeans with a collared shirt AND no torn clothing. T-shirts acceptable, but make sure they are clean and not ripped.

The problem isn't people wearing jeans, it is people wearing old, worn jeans with ripped t-shirts. You probably wouldn't dress that way to go to any restaurant on land where you were getting dinner service by waiters, why would you do it on a ship?

Just make yourself look nice - remember even Carnival has elegant dining rooms with tablecloths, wine glasses and full service. Dress like you care about the occasion and "Keep it classy, San Diego!"
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy
And if someone who paid wants to wear a swim suit, why are you allowed to dictate that they shouldn't"?..... using your theory.

There's not just rules for dress, there are also rules for behavior. If everyone who paid for "their vacation" decided they can behave any way they feel because "they paid" I'm betting most people wouldn't want to be there.

I think the key is finding is the cruise line actually deciding what rules they want to put in place, and then enforcing ALL the rules, not just the ones which are convenient.

As far as dress codes go.. On NCL they have a casual dress code, no suits required , but for dinners you can't wear shorts.

The point is there are cruise lines who offer different rules and different ambience. People should chose the cruise lines that match closest to what they are looking for, rather than expecting the cruise lines to change to what they want. There are options out there.
Quote:

true. im not sayin i wear shorts to the dining room because i find that disrespectful but clothing and behavior are completely different things. in the dining room be polite and have manners but if its not formal night you dont have to dress up. formal nights i love the dress code! formal nights are fun to dress up and get all pretty and take pictures and stuff.
carnival conquest- 2004
carnival pride- 2005
carnival valor- 2006
carnival conquest- 2006
carnival triumph- 2007
carnival victory- 2008
carnival triumph- 2009
=]
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Default New Carnival Dress Cdode Experiment - Your Comments, Please

What are "dressy shorts?"

Judy
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Passenger

i have a question and an idea.

first let me play devils advocate. how many people think that the cruise lines actually have formal nights for 3 reasons and all 3 are related. MONEY by having everyone dress up, it helps with tux rentals, helps sell way more pictures, and helps them sell more jewelery, perfume ect in the shops?

now for the idea, most cruises have 2 dinner seatings with 2 slightly different times at each seating. why not have one seating at each time be for people who choose formal and why not have the other be for people who choose resort casual? you still would have the same dress code for formal, suit and tie or tux for men, and dress or pants suits for women. and for the resort casual you could have any thing but t shirts, swim suits, tank tops, etc. make it like a golf course dress code.

Free Cruise Clocks
Big Red Boat 4-1994
Ecstasy 2-1999
Celebration 4-2007
Glory 5-2008
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:16 PM
First Mate

I like the new rules. I go on a cruise to relax and to have fun. Dressing up is work. On a seven day cruise I will wear a suit for the first formal night to keep the wife happy. We all know that being on a cruise is no different than being at home. If the wife aint happy then nobody is happy. For the second formal night I respect the rules for the formal dinning room by not eating there that night. Most of the big ships have the supper club if you really want to get formal.

Read and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Clean, non-fashion (meaning no ultra low cut, hanging to your knees, 10X too large, or ones with logos or labels) jeans, meaning plain ole Levi's or designer name denim to me is acceptable. Dress shorts, uhm, ya. ok...

I personally prefer wearing my capri's and a nice shirt (work shirt of course) to dinner. Formal night means breaking out my dress pants (usually work at work) and one or two blouses I wear with the dress pants. No sooner is dinner over and I am back in the cabin putting my capri's or shorts on, and on occasion I'll put my tank top back on because it is still HOT outside even late at night...

Flip flips, aka THONGS, I can see not being allowed, but what about sandals?.....

Interesting change, but yes, it means people will need to pack the dressy clothes still!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Sounds good to me.......exactly what I do anyway.
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:37 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

I loved it. There is no reason why ANYONE can't put a little thought into their attire, daytime or evening, casual or elegant, when on a cruise. When you put a little effort into what you wear, you stand a little taller and feel better about yourself, adolescents included. Cruises are a great time to try wearing something new. Our girls' cruise this May has grown from 5 to 10 women and we're telling the newbies to think out of the box and try a look that they love but would not wear at home!

Although this is not a clothing comment, it would be great if everyone thought of everyone around them and be careful with the words that come out of their mouths. No one likes to be sunning themselves and listening to someone using foul language. Parents - don't humiliate your children in front of others. This might be the time to try the "6 inch" voice and speak calmly and directly to your child if necessary. Not only that, your child might even say hey mom, I was wrong but thank you for not yelling at me! Carry this over to home and you might have a quieter household...That goes for spouses too.... calmly and directly and I'll say it again, don't try to mess around with someone while you're on a cruise....our May 2007 girls' cruise got ugly with a cabin down the hall....

Last but not least and I'm taking this advice personally for an October cruise I'm now booked on with my husband and our 3 year old granddaughter that lives with us, if you're traveling with the under-5 set, if you were home, you would know when it was naptime or when your kids needed a break. Kids need those naps or quiet time when they're on a cruise too.

Old February 28th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Looks like I'm going to get a new navy blazer and start leaving the 'funeral' suit at home.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to LeeandKelli

I can't believe that someone has to say "no baseball caps" in the dining room for dinner. On our last cruise we saw two guys wearing a hat each night in the dining room. They did not even take them off at the table.
I guess its there vacation and they weren't at our table, just making a coment and offering my opinion.

We love Carnival and someone wearing a baseball hat didn't ruin our cruise.

Take care;

Lee and Kelli
Jim and Julie

On the Destiny for Jan 12th 2009.
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecouple
When you put a little effort into what you wear, you stand a little taller and feel better about yourself, adolescents included.
Maybe you feel a little better about yourself, but please do not state it as though that were objective fact for everyone. Now, I'm not advocating torn/ripped jeans, plumber's crack, wearing pants "gangta" style hanging below the boxers, or anything like that. But for some of us younger folk (and at 32 I'm not THAT younger), casual is where our comfort zone is. I feel good about myself when I'm able to relax and go casual. When I have to dress up I feel stressed, tight and uncomfortable. It's not me. I'm not comfortable dressed up, I don't like dressed up. I don't like other people dressed up frankly. I think most women on prom nights and at weddings look the worst they ever do, because they go with horrendous hairstyles that they never wear naturally.

Now I am not trying to force my views on other people, but others should likewise not force theirs on people like me. You like dressing up? It makes you feel good? Great, dress up and enjoy your dinner. If I am comfortable more casual, then let me be more casual and likewise enjoy my dinner. If you dinning experience is negatively affected because someone else is not in a suit and tie then you have a probelm (and I am not speaking directly to you here CC, I mean the 'general' you).[/i]

Carnival Conquest April 2008
Carnival Conquest April 2009

Old February 29th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTodd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecouple
When you put a little effort into what you wear, you stand a little taller and feel better about yourself, adolescents included.
Maybe you feel a little better about yourself, but please do not state it as though that were objective fact for everyone. Now, I'm not advocating torn/ripped jeans, plumber's crack, wearing pants "gangta" style hanging below the boxers, or anything like that. But for some of us younger folk (and at 32 I'm not THAT younger), casual is where our comfort zone is. I feel good about myself when I'm able to relax and go casual. When I have to dress up I feel stressed, tight and uncomfortable. It's not me. I'm not comfortable dressed up, I don't like dressed up. I don't like other people dressed up frankly. I think most women on prom nights and at weddings look the worst they ever do, because they go with horrendous hairstyles that they never wear naturally.

Now I am not trying to force my views on other people, but others should likewise not force theirs on people like me. You like dressing up? It makes you feel good? Great, dress up and enjoy your dinner. If I am comfortable more casual, then let me be more casual and likewise enjoy my dinner. If you dinning experience is negatively affected because someone else is not in a suit and tie then you have a probelm (and I am not speaking directly to you here CC, I mean the 'general' you).[/i]

Houston, I tend to agree with CC, but your point is well stated. Great post. I'm going to go with the guidelines of the ship. Looks like that will be a little less 'dressy' on Carnival.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 29th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Captain

[quote="rgwiazdzinski"]i have a question and an idea.

first let me play devils advocate. how many people think that the cruise lines actually have formal nights for 3 reasons and all 3 are related. MONEY by having everyone dress up, it helps with tux rentals, helps sell way more pictures, and helps them sell more jewelery, perfume ect in the shops?

now for the idea, most cruises have 2 dinner seatings with 2 slightly different times at each seating. why not have one seating at each time be for people who choose formal and why not have the other be for people who choose resort casual? you still would have the same dress code for formal, suit and tie or tux for men, and dress or pants suits for women. and for the resort casual you could have any thing but t shirts, swim suits, tank tops, etc. make it like a golf course dress code.

Ready2board's reply:
I think that is a GREAT idea overall! I'm all for the formal nights but with these new rules (probably should just call them guidelines if the lines aren't going to enforce them) I'm not really sure why they even designate a formal night anymore...In other words, why not just pick one night of the cruise (your choice) and wear your best clothes, get your picture taken etc? With the new guidelines, why even call it a formal night if you've got some people in tuxes and others in dockers? Again, I agree with RG...Just designate a different time for formal diners and ENFORCE the dress code during that time.
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Admiral

You know, if there was someone at my table wearing a hat when the meal arrived, I would call them out on it and not be bashful about it. If I have to teach manners to a man, so be it, I am an excellent professor.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
You know, if there was someone at my table wearing a hat when the meal arrived, I would call them out on it and not be bashful about it. If I have to teach manners to a man, so be it, I am an excellent professor.
I would as well and have. No big deal. On another occasion I was about to tell this BIG dude but before I could an older lady asked him to remove his hat. He just said 'yes mam'.

DW and I discussed this today and she didn't care for the dress shorts idea. She said she care to see anyones hairy legs at dinner.

Future Cruises:
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Kuki, it was posted on the Freedom site on CC today that the dress code change was only a one week experiment and that the dress code has not changed. Is it possible to ascertain if the new dress code is still in place on Freedom?
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:34 PM
First Mate

ooo... the only thing really added is jeans right... i usually were a nice pair of capris form aeropostle or somthing... i like jeans but people dont need to go in there with holes in there jeans...if they want that just go up to the lido.. thats what i would do

"Cruises will create some of the best memories of your life"
Future Cruises-
Coral Princess
Past Cruises-
Carnival Liberty Spring Break 2008
Carnival Legend October 2007
Old March 1st, 2008, 02:19 PM
Beginner

Bad move.

Caving in to the exception, instead of satisfying the majority.
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B
Kuki, it was posted on the Freedom site on CC today that the dress code change was only a one week experiment and that the dress code has not changed. Is it possible to ascertain if the new dress code is still in place on Freedom?
Paul... You should have READ The title in this thread!!! That stated it was an EXPERIMENT. (in capitol letters actually

But it's also INACCURATE that it was ONLY the one week. The letter to the cabins was only for the one week, the experiment was over several weeks.

Several other ships on other sailings have also experimented with it. Guess that tells you where you should go for accurate information.

But you still have to actually read what's posted
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Kuki, I did understand that it was an experiment, but the poster on CC stated that it was only one week on one ship only. I guess that we will have to wait awhile to see how this all turns out.