Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Have to agree with 2 points-

Jeans - Really don't think these should be allowed.

Flip Flops - Agree that many are now dressy and should be included.

Just returned from a trip on the Victory and was very disappointed about the DR attire. Family of 4 next to us wearing holy jeans, sneakers, shorts.

We have our 15 yr old son bring 1 pair of Kahki type pants and misc golf/dress shirts. This way he wears same pants each night and different shirt. This works well as he only wears the pants for 1 hour and then changes into shorts with his polo shirts to head to the disco.

Now, if Carnival would only enforce these policies.

Safe seas.

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
First Mate

Question from first time cruiser: Is there one and only one formal night or is every night formal night?

Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotoJuku
Question from first time cruiser: Is there one and only one formal night or is every night formal night?
Usually two nights on a seven day cruise.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:49 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
Quote:
Thanks! How about a 4-day cruise; at least 1 I suspect?

Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
Quote:
Thanks! How about a 4-day cruise; at least 1 I suspect?
Usually one.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
First Mate

So just to be clear i can wear nice (no rip) jeans and a polo to dinner and be fine?

MAY 2011 - CARNIVAL GLORY
MAY 2010 - CARNIVAL DREAM
MAY 2009 CARNIVAL FASCINATION
APR 2008 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JUN-2007 CARNIVAL SENSATION
NOV-2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND
APR-2006 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JAN -2000 CARNIVAL IMAGINATION
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmaximus
So just to be clear i can wear nice (no rip) jeans and a polo to dinner and be fine?
On nights other than formal, no problem. That's been acceptable for some time.... well before this "experiment".
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Admiral

I'm a prude and proud of it !! The military greatly influenced my perceptions on dress and appearance ( AFI 35-10).
There are two ways we can go, either have a dress code and enforce it, ....or allow everyone to dress cheesy, beggarly, or cheeky... if they desire.
American society seems to be becoming increasingly crass and I suppose this can be reflected in cruise dress codes.
Gentlemen wear ties. Bluejeans are still a bit too rustic for the dining rooms on Carnival Cruise-line ( in my opinion). Shorts are fine for the daytime, but trousers most appropriate for evenings.
A cruise isn't a Toby Keith concert, so dress appropriately.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Sailing in the Caribbean means sailing in the tropics, I wonder why so many people want to wear denim, when a pair of causal slacks is usually much lighter, and just as comfortable.
I wonder what's so sacred about blue jeans? hot..sweaty denim?

/ticker.png">
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Passenger

i don't think it is as much about just dying to wear your blue jeans to a dinner that you have paid for through your booking and (unless i missed it) there was nothing that you had to sign that stated you would not wear jeans, as it is being told you can't wear them. like i said before i don't care what people wear as long as they wear something. i personally wear kakis and a nice shirt on normal nights and i drag my suit along to wear on formal nights just to conform but i really hate wearing the suit and tie, and it is a lot of extra junk to pack to just wear for a couple of hours, if i really wanted to wear a suit and tie i would get all dressed up and crash a wedding at home for free

Free Cruise Clocks
Big Red Boat 4-1994
Ecstasy 2-1999
Celebration 4-2007
Glory 5-2008
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Admiral

I can't understand this obsession people have with jeans/denim. They have no place at any dining room anywhere (except maybe McDonald's, Wendy's, local gin mills, pick-up baseball games, bowling alleys, etc.) and definitely out of place in the formal dining rooms on a cruise ship. But, people will defend them with their dying breath. On our last cruise, dress rules were NEVER enforced and we had young girls come into the dining room every night with either sloppy jeans on or shorts so tiny they barely covered their private areas. Everyone says it doesn't bother them to see people in torn jeans, teenie shorts in the dining room but who are these offenders? where do they come from? where are their manners? where are their parents? Good manners and taste should not only be reflected in the "older" generation, they should be a part of the current generation's upbringing. Of course, I forgot, the parents are as much at fault as the children. The Caribbean is warm, colorful, fun..dress accordingly...take a deep breath and leave those jeans home where they belong. There are fantastic, fun, colorful, light weight clothes available in any city in the U.S. Throw off those heavy, hot jeans and make your cruise special.
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
I can't understand this obsession people have with jeans/denim.
Just like the current generation can't understand this obsession people have with dressing up ... cultures are not good or bad just because they are different, sorry.

Quote:
They have no place at any dining room anywhere (except maybe McDonald's, Wendy's, local gin mills, pick-up baseball games, bowling alleys, etc.) and definitely out of place in the formal dining rooms on a cruise ship.
In YOUR opinion. But world culture is changing. If it never changed we'd still have men dressing in tunics to the knees or other styles ala the medieval period. But, alas that was not the first style either, perhaps we should go back to wearing animal skins like primitive man.

Changes in culture are not bad or good inherantly, they are just that - changes in culture. And society still moves along. And, sorry, but you are wrong. Jeans are now acceptable in all but the very, very highest class of establishment, but in the vast majority of even fine dinning, jeans are basically accepted clothing options.

Quote:
There are fantastic, fun, colorful, light weight clothes available in any city in the U.S. Throw off those heavy, hot jeans and make your cruise special.
And there are also nice jeans with nice polos and/or nice button-up shirts which make perfectly acceptable dress options. Get over yourself.

Carnival Conquest April 2008
Carnival Conquest April 2009

Old March 5th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTodd
Quote:
I can't understand this obsession people have with jeans/denim.
Just like the current generation can't understand this obsession people have with dressing up ... cultures are not good or bad just because they are different, sorry.

Quote:
They have no place at any dining room anywhere (except maybe McDonald's, Wendy's, local gin mills, pick-up baseball games, bowling alleys, etc.) and definitely out of place in the formal dining rooms on a cruise ship.
In YOUR opinion. But world culture is changing. If it never changed we'd still have men dressing in tunics to the knees or other styles ala the medieval period. But, alas that was not the first style either, perhaps we should go back to wearing animal skins like primitive man.

Changes in culture are not bad or good inherantly, they are just that - changes in culture. And society still moves along. And, sorry, but you are wrong. Jeans are now acceptable in all but the very, very highest class of establishment, but in the vast majority of even fine dinning, jeans are basically accepted clothing options.

Quote:
There are fantastic, fun, colorful, light weight clothes available in any city in the U.S. Throw off those heavy, hot jeans and make your cruise special.
And there are also nice jeans with nice polos and/or nice button-up shirts which make perfectly acceptable dress options. Get over yourself.
But not EVERERYTHING changes and doesn't need to. I think people sometimes confuse fads with things changing. Piercings and tats all over the body are an example of a fad (though I admit its lasted longer than most fads). People will look back years from now and laugh at this generation for them...At least the people with the piercings will be able to have them removed...The tat folks are out of luck lol.

However, some things never change and don't need to... The black tux has been pretty much the ultimate in formal dress for the American male for decades. They looked great 50 years ago and still do. Marine Corps dress blues haven't changed and still look great. Really, regular mens suits haven't changed much over the years although styles of ties, size of lapels etc change every 10 years or so, I guess. So there is nothing wrong with some tradition in dress. It DOES exist. I still think the answer is to have a couple more seatings on formal nights. One for those who really want to go formal (and have it enforced) and one for the all casual all the time "generation me" folks who pretty much do whatever they want even though there is everything but a neon sign in the dining room stating what formal means. I know, I know it's "THEIR" cruise
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Admiral

HoustonTodd....I did not personally attack you in my commentary and do not appreciate your derogatory comments directed towards me. I am stating my thoughts on a particular subject, I am not attacking an individual.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, your comments and retorts reflect your lack of respect for these Boards and everyone that posts here.

Please refrain from deliberately attacking posters and keep your comments within the guidelines stipulated by the Moderators.
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
HoustonTodd....I did not personally attack you in my commentary and do not appreciate your derogatory comments directed towards me. I am stating my thoughts on a particular subject, I am not attacking an individual.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, your comments and retorts reflect your lack of respect for these Boards and everyone that posts here.

Please refrain from deliberately attacking posters and keep your comments within the guidelines stipulated by the Moderators.
Show me one single attack that I made to you. All I said is that what you said in your post is plainly YOUR opinion. And that it is. It is not objective fact. Standards change over time, it is a simple fact of anthropology. I both study (at the graduate level) intercultural issues, and I work interculturally. Things change and adapt, but any time this issue comes up there are people who think that THEIR idea is THE objective idea, I'm just pointing out that it is not the case, and that there is nothing inherantly bad about changing cultures.

Listen, I am a deeply conservative Christian missionary. I am not advocating people half naked or with rear ends hanging out of pants. I'm not advocating immoral dress nor sloppy (diry, whole-infested clothing) dress. I AM saying that cultures change, that is not bad, and there is nothing wrong with decent, pressed jeans.

Old March 5th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Houston Todd...earlier you posted these remarks.
"We would really like to leave on March 30, but that cruise is marked to be a "country music cruise" with all sorts of country music performers there. I'm not going to the Caribbean to visit "Alabama", so the wife and I aren't too excited about cruising with a bunch of drunk cowboys. "
I empathized with you there in the same sense that I advocate keeping cowboy attire out the main dining rooms. 8)

/ticker.png">
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
"We would really like to leave on March 30, but that cruise is marked to be a "country music cruise" with all sorts of country music performers there. I'm not going to the Caribbean to visit "Alabama", so the wife and I aren't too excited about cruising with a bunch of drunk cowboys. "
I empathized with you there in the same sense that I advocate keeping cowboy attire out the main dining rooms. 8)
The difference is that one concern is in regards to people actions, which are obviously morally wrong/right and can disturb a cruise. The other is merely an issue of (non-revealing) clothing, which in my humble opinion, is not a morally wrong/right nor a vacation disturbing issue.

Old March 6th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTodd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
The difference is that one concern is in regards to people actions, which are obviously morally wrong/right and can disturb a cruise. The other is merely an issue of (non-revealing) clothing, which in my humble opinion, is not a morally wrong/right nor a vacation disturbing issue.
point taken. 8) Next month I'm on a cruise and will likely never notice how others dress. I suppose this is more an issue on these message boards than on ships.

/ticker.png">
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think that the new dress code is great. When the experiment is over, it would be great if they actually enforced it.

Caribbean Village Playa Dorada: Dominican Republic All Inclusive
Old March 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM
kookylabooka

Maybe you feel a little better about yourself, but please do not state it as though that were objective fact for everyone. Now, I'm not advocating torn/ripped jeans, plumber's crack, wearing pants "gangta" style hanging below the boxers, or anything like that. But for some of us younger folk (and at 32 I'm not THAT younger), casual is where our comfort zone is. I feel good about myself when I'm able to relax and go casual. When I have to dress up I feel stressed, tight and uncomfortable. It's not me. I'm not comfortable dressed up, I don't like dressed up. I don't like other people dressed up frankly. I think most women on prom nights and at weddings look the worst they ever do, because they go with horrendous hairstyles that they never wear naturally.

Now I am not trying to force my views on other people, but others should likewise not force theirs on people like me. You like dressing up? It makes you feel good? Great, dress up and enjoy your dinner. If I am comfortable more casual, then let me be more casual and likewise enjoy my dinner. If you dinning experience is negatively affected because someone else is not in a suit and tie then you have a probelm (and I am not speaking directly to you here CC, I mean the 'general' you).[/i][/quote]

Very well said ! Now if everybody had the same mindset.
Old March 9th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Admiral

I agree completely with the last post. However, it is not just younger people who don't feel comfortable dressed in a coat and tie. I have always worn "elegant" clothing on all the non formal nights of every cruise with dress slacks and a nice sports shirt. On formal nights, I always went back to the cabin and changed to the same type of clothing, since a coat and tie tend to get too warm in a crowded casino or at the show. I realize that this behavior probably shocks the "clothes police" purists. I am not concerned with what others wear, and they should not be concerned about my dress.

Live and let live, and you will live longer.

Old March 9th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Familiar Face

Default Looking forward to dinner

We are taking our daughters (13 and 12) on their first cruise. They are very excited about going to dinner every night in the dining room, but they are especially excited about formal night. We bought new outfits for them to wear each night and a special one for formal night.

I don't think it will matter to us what anyone else wears. My husband and I will not wear formal attire, but we will wear outfits like we would wear to a nice wedding. ( a dark suit for him and a cocktail dress for me)

I think it is a shame that there is so much controversy about what to wear for dinner. If the cruise line doesn't enforce the standards, then it doesn't really matter. We are looking forward to the food, the service, and the conversation with the other people at our table. As long as they have clothes on, it is fine with me.

Our vacation is too short to worry about what others are wearing.
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Captain

point is, that whether people like it or not, Carnival has just announced (well not JUST) that they deem Jeans as completely acceptable dinner wear.

Not that you think it is, you could feel its not, but the fact is Carnival Cruise lines does. All i can say is that it is ok now to wear nice jeans in the dining room.

I wore them on my last cruise, black jeans, and its the most comfy i felt at dinner on any night. My obssession with jeans is that its all i wear except for my work scrubs and i feel more comfy in those than in shorts.

Just hope they stay nice ...clean, non holey jeans.
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:19 PM
First Mate

I want to wear my nice clean neat desert camo cargo pants and won't rest until they are accepted by Carnival. Those who thought that Jeans are acceptable have won, now it,s someone elses turn. Just because you don,t like what I wear doesn,t mean I don,t. Does this week argument sound familiar? It should They won
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauntz
I want to wear my nice clean neat desert camo cargo pants and won't rest until they are accepted by Carnival. Those who thought that Jeans are acceptable have won, now it,s someone elses turn. Just because you don,t like what I wear doesn,t mean I don,t. Does this week argument sound familiar? It should They won
I can't speak for others, but for me as long as it is neat (no holes, etc) and at least somewhat modest (no buts hanging out of shorts 3 sizes too small, no skirts that barely cover the rear, no tops that look more like lingerie, etc) then I have no problem with it.

I'm not so @nally retentive that my trip experience is going to be negatively affected because someone near me happens to be more comfortable in jeans than as some stuffed shirt in a tux.

Old March 11th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
my trip experience is going to be negatively affected because someone near me happens to be more comfortable in jeans than as some stuffed shirt in a tux.
Interesting in that "judgement" the casually dressed one is just being comfortable, but the one in the tux is a "stuffed shirt". Sounds like being judgmental can work both ways

It's also interesting that so many people say jeans are fine... but they shouldn't be this..... , or they shouldn't be that......

They are all "judgement calls". That's why I've always thought the cruise line should simply do the judging, by establishing their dress codes --- whatever they may be--- then asking and expecting guests to adide by them.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 11th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauntz

This is kinda funny really

I'm thinking you CAN wear your camo's if you like them so much. Not that they look as nice as a nice pair of dark denim trousers or jeans do, but hey, If they are pressed without holes, i doubt you'd be turned away.

personally I wouldnt wear them....But cargo pants arent excluded on regular dining nights...
Old March 11th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:
my trip experience is going to be negatively affected because someone near me happens to be more comfortable in jeans than as some stuffed shirt in a tux.
Interesting in that "judgement" the casually dressed one is just being comfortable, but the one in the tux is a "stuffed shirt". Sounds like being judgmental can work both ways

It's also interesting that so many people say jeans are fine... but they shouldn't be this..... , or they shouldn't be that......

They are all "judgement calls". That's why I've always thought the cruise line should simply do the judging, by establishing their dress codes --- whatever they may be--- then asking and expecting guests to adide by them.

Well said Kuki I agree with the cruise line being the ones who should enforce the dress codes, not us. Unfortunatly they are not doing so. I did see a few, for a better term, ghetto pants (yanno the ones with the boxers hanging out) on my last cruise, which makes my tummy turn over ugh.

and.....I LOVE A MAN IN A TUX...yummo

All in all, i just hope everyone dresses NICE with clean pressed clothes, that cover the parts of your body and underclothing that you should have covered at any nice restaurant...
Old March 11th, 2008, 11:44 AM
First Mate

I was being sarcastic in my last post, however I think that before long we will see yet another request for further relaxing the dress code. I guess I am frustrated by the fact that the dress codes have been in effect for some time but enforcement hasn't been.My message to everyone including Carnival is There is an established dress code, please follow it, and expect it to be enforced
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old March 14th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Beginner

sorry, but when we pay 5 grand for 1 week, we ARE allowed to wear whatever we want.

I have to wear a big knee brace, so I only wear shorts. My wife loves to dress up in in sexy, some uptight people call slutty outfits, to dinner and around the boat. she likes to wear thongs, and looks forward to the nude beach. We will have to see what the rules are on thongs at the on board pool. we are not swingers, we just like to dress how we want, and we have paid enough to decide what we want to wear and when.

If you want to wear a tux to feel happy, rich, whatever, go for it. but don't judge other peoples choices. its not only "poor" people as its said on here that dress casual. I do not even own a pair of "jeans". I wear sweat shorts, khaki shorts, or camo shorts. I to was in the Air Force, that's where I received my injuries that cause me to wear the knee brace. I will do the only "activity" I can without pain while on the cruise, SCUBA dive.

When we eat out somewhere nice, I'm talking 60 bucks a plate, I wear my shorts. Yes even in 35 degree weather, because that is what I am comfortable in. It is another reason we booked in the "winter" and on the most expensive week of the year to cruise no less.

Personally I think the girls in the ultra short skirts look hot, well most that dress that way have the body to pull it off. You are on a cruise to GET AWAY from regular life.

My parents cruise twice a year, but they cruise on Royal Caribbean and used to cruise Holland American, because they cater to people more their age/style.

we are bringing our 7 year old son, and but he has not been brought up with the standard American attitude about the human body. he loves a woman with a good set of "boobies", well so do I, and so does his mother. She even points the extra nice ones out to me. it is only in America and the muslim parts of the world that sex is looked down on the way it is.