Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default NEW Carnival DRESS code EXPERIMENT-- your thoughts please!!

This past cruise on Carnival Freedom they experimented with a new dress code. I've copied and pasted a note the guests boarding last found in their cabins when they boarded.

Read it, and give us your thoughts... which we'll pass on!!

WELCOME ABOARD
Carnival Cruise Lines would like to welcome you aboard. As a reminder and to ensure
that you feel comfortable throughout your “Fun Ship? cruise, we’ve provided some
guidelines on what to wear while you’re on board.
SUGGESTED CRUISE DAY-TO-DAY DRESS CODE:
Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the
ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. However, for dining you may
want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.
Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant
evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship? voyage, where you will have the
opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for
dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly, and has a more relaxed
theme. Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.
DINING DRESS CODES:
Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code
Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared
sport shirts
Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants,
dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).
Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and
gentlemen: beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.
Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code:
Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear
suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means enjoy doing just that!
Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off
your evening gowns, that's great too!
Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and
gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans,
sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

sounds pretty much what i go by anyways. i love to dress up so im always dining in my assigned dining room. im always wearing formal on elgegant nights and semiformal every other night. but there are some flip flops that are dressy enought to actually wear to dinner. but other than that the dress code seems fine to me.
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Only thing I se different is they mention jeans as acceptable. They use the term Cruise Elegant instead of Formal.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, I see "jeans" listed for those casual nights. I've always thought a decent pair of jeans and a nice top would be fine, but its always been frowned upon.

I think with the airlines newer regulations for luggage, we may see some changes throughout the cruiseline's dress policy??

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones

I see nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans one without holes and look like they belong in the trash or look like your wearing someones elses pants because they are 5 times to large for you .Everything else is what you would expect to wear .I say thats great
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Admiral

The mention of jeans are all I see as being different also. Now if they will enforce it. I know some people will be put out and we'll see those "gripes" here but that's ok.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Admiral

I too like the jeans idea.

I was wondering about the flip flops? Some of the womens sandles look like flip flops, except they are in a leather material???

I also didn't see anything about tennis shoes??? Are they acceptable? If not..could someone have a nice new black pair, do you think that would be okay?

Darlene (Red)
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Captain

The new dress code sounds great to me. Of course, I have never had a problem with the old one.

Libragirl
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley Jones
I see nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans one without holes and look like they belong in the trash or look like your wearing someones elses pants because they are 5 times to large for you .Everything else is what you would expect to wear .I say thats great
I agree but there in lies the problem. We all know once that line is officially crossed, then the lowest common demoninator will come on.

(ratty jeans with holes ...because they cost $69.00)

I think the official addition of jeans just goes to bolster the "Kmart of the Seas" image. Because it won't be just "jeans". It will be Billy Bob with his jeans to far down and his shirt to far up with the hairy sweaty belly exposed as he enters the dining room.

This was when "jeans" were supposedly not allowed....can you imagine what it will be now that they are???

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Admiral

In my opinon, the dress code is the dress code. If you dont like it i guess there is always the Lido deck!

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Admiral

The changes that I saw in this, that no one commented on, were:

- shorts being allowed in the dining room on casual nights

-" Elegant night" calling only for dress pants, and a dress shirt- no mention of ties.
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Kuki:
After I went back and copied and pasted your post for my people in our group. I did see the shorts and the ties.
We told the people in our group that we "dress up" for these 2 nights. Suits or a spots coat for the guys. We alyways have done this, so I hope the "Newbies" in our group, do it also.

Darlene

Thank you the post!!!!
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

People see the word "jeans" and the lower class of society (don't argue, you know they go on these cruises!) will show up in ripped jeans, jeans hanging below their butts, wearing those jeans that show the underwear, gangster type jeans, etc.

No way, bad idea. It isn't going to kill the lazy people of society (and that's what this society has become - you can't deny it) to get dressed up for what? 2 hours for 2 nights?

As the saying goes, "Give them an inch, they'll take a mile"

And the shorts? OMG...let's see, is Daisy Duke shorts now going to be accepted? What about see through? You want to see a woman in a thong? Or going commando? Or so tight you can count the butt cheese? Or what about sayings on them? Would a woman in the dining room wearing shorts that say "Bootylicious" across her butt be acceptable for everyone else? I highly doubt it.

At least men have class when it comes to wearing shorts, most of them have them to their knees?

Bad, bad, idea....

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
The changes that I saw in this, that no one commented on, were:

- shorts being allowed in the dining room on casual nights

-" Elegant night" calling only for dress pants, and a dress shirt- no mention of ties.
Again, I have nothing against "shorts". But we all know it won't be just "dress shorts"...it will be some 17 year old with Booty Licious written across her behind and are so short they are a health code violation.

I don't have a problem with no ties. Just because a man does not have a tie on, does not mean he is going to show up looking like something out of the Beverly Hillbillies or GangstersRUs.

Personally, I like Oceania's approach. Country Club Casual every night.
Men in Polos and khakis and ladies in sun dresses, pantsuits or capris with cute tops.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Admiral

I like this dress code for carribbean cruises where more casual attire is necessary due to humidty/weather; shorts (ladies dress shorts are very popular) and nice dockers would not bother me in the dining room on casual night; that being said, keep in mind, that being in Florida we see that dress in casual restaurants on a regular basis. Jeans in the dining room also doesn't bother me if paired with a dress shirt (for both men and women).

Of course, the nay sayers will say that someone will wear ratty shorts and/or jeans; well they will and I say, it only relfects badly on them, not on me; so off I go to enjoy my cruise! By the way, I will be wearing a pair of jeans on the first night in the dining room as the weather looks to be chilly and windy the first night out; on the third night, I plan on wearing ladies dress shorts.... 8)
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Default Here's my vote

Shorts in the Dining Room? No
Jeans in the Dining Room? Only if they are in great condition, dark, no holes, pressed, no plumbers please (crack kills). But that is pretty darned hard to enforce.
Ties optional.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sailing in the Caribbean means sailing in the tropics, I wonder why so many people want to wear denim, when a pair of causal slacks is usually much lighter, and just as comfortable.

I think sometimes, it's because the suggested attire had been to not allow them...For us our packing will stay pretty much the same as it's always been.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 25th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I still don't like jeans in the dining room...the staff onboard works too hard to give us a nice dining experience that I don't get elsewhere, and they look great too.

I'm ok with nice pants, shirts, etc. just not jeans.

But that's just my opinion...
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Jeans have been on the "allowed" list on Carnival for quite some time, so there was no change there.

I think it may be close to 2 years since they've deemed acceptable and taken off of the dress code restriction lists printed on the ships.
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

It really doesn't look very different. It does seem to end the capri pants debate.
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

As Carnival is catering to "us younger folk" I don't see a problem with the "new" code. The problem I did have was on our last cruise on Elegant / Formal night the was a family that showed up in Velor sweatsuits. :evil: I guess because the "jacket" and pants matched with no holes, it was formal / elegant
I know that what is dressy to one family is not to another. If you are going on a cruise please do your home work so that you "sorta" fit in with the dining experience. JMO Thanks for listening
Truimph May 2007
Fascination (1st time w/DD) May 2008
Pride (with DD & DS) November 2009
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would love to see a family in matching velor sweatsuits. What a riot!!!!
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I know that what is dressy to one family is not to another. If you are going on a cruise please do your home work so that you "sorta" fit in with the dining experience.
With this "new" experimental dress code it does state on "Elegant nights" all that is suggested is dress pants and dress shirt for men. No requirements for ties or jackets.... so that IS a change.

Again, in the end I think it depends on if they intend to even enforce those minimal codes.
Old February 25th, 2008, 06:05 PM
First Mate

I think it's great. Dress codes are only guidelines anyway. Nobody takes them verbatim.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old February 25th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Passenger

on our last cruise we saw a man come into the dining room on formal night in a t-shirt and jean shorts, nothing was said to him. for me personally i don't care what anyone wears as long as they wear something. the way i look at it is i am on vacation and i want to relax, if i feel like suit and tie i wear suit and tie, if i feel like kakis and golf shirt then that is what i wear. i am not a tie wearing person normally so if ties are no longer required that is good with me! if someone lets what another cruiser wears cause them greif on vacation then they have way to much stress in their lives

Free Cruise Clocks
Big Red Boat 4-1994
Ecstasy 2-1999
Celebration 4-2007
Glory 5-2008
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Admiral

I don't think much, if anything has changed as people pretty much wore what they wanted anyway and nothing was said or done.
Seems like Carnival has just officially thrown in the towel on peoples dress in the dining room.
I have no real complaint one way or the other. Some people are slobs wherever they are and the most are not, wherever they are.
The only thing is by making it official now that anything goes, some will dress even worse that they were before.
The only problem I have ever had with a dress code was lack of enforcement. Either give it up entirely or enforce it. Sounds like Carnival has now at least made a decision.
Maybe next thing they will give up is silverware-- we can just eat with our fingers and wipe with our sleeves or the tail of our t-shirt !!
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:41 AM
First Mate

Looks like those who thought it was ok to disregard the old dress code have won a battle, no ties and jackets ,and shorts allowed at dinner. I think that the new rules STINK Whats next, military style camoflage ? Gang colors? I guess if you want to feel elegant from now on out the budget must be blown to H and a cruise on a luxury line be taken. You know, Silverseas, Princess, etc. Carnival is on the way to become the Walmart of the seas.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Captain

From my experience, Carnival hasn't been enforcing a dress code in the dining room anyway. I don't like the idea of shorts at night in the dining room at all. I wrote an email to Carnival about shorts in the dining room on the Valor DEc 30th and I just received a letter in the mail telling me to contact them before my next cruise and they will give us a complimentry bon voyage gift!

AKcruiser
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I was on Carnival Pride last year. Every night one man at our table wore dungarees. They were not new nor were they particularly clean. Nothing was said to him about it.

Lasura
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
---Mark Twain

Old February 26th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Captain

I did the whole "no jeans" thing on my first cruise, and I did the Jeans thing a couple of nights on my next, and wow i really enjoyed my evenings and darn i looked nice too.

That said, i wore black jeans with nice blouses, no tshirts etc. and nice shoes. Dark blue would be ok too.

Capris...they were never up for debate, i wore them (nice ones) on both cruises.

now shorts????? nah? ok for lunch but should really stay out of the dining room at night in my opinion!

Oh and formal night, my hubby refused to do the jacket this year, but he looked nice in dress shirt with tie and slacks, my son wore black khakis and shirt with tie and i wore black slacks, heels and a very nice dressy blouse.

We felt right at home and still dressed better than half the people dining.