Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Passenger

Default bad reviews on Freedom

I was just reading the readers review on Freedom, and is now becoming a little concerned about my cruise in December, of the few reviews not one is really positive, seeing i'm not a cruise expert i'd love to hear the opinions of the cruisers here. I was thinking that a ship as new as Freedom would be a good choice, but now is becoming a little bit nervous seeing i'm taking my kids this time.
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I have NO IDEA what you've been reading... but you might want to read my Virtual Cruise Report from the Freedom, that's at the top of this Carnival message board.

We were on the Freedom with the group for Thanksgiving, and then again in Jan. for the Bloggers group. Everyone had a GREAT time.

In April we have a group of 100 cruisemates going back on her again for the transatlantic sailing.

Guess you've figured out by now, we LIKE the ship!

There is nothing for you to worry about.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Familiar Face

Remember you have to consider the source. A lot of the time, if you have a good cruise or good experience, you just don't mention it. If you have a bad experience or if you just love to find fault you love to tell everyone who will listen. I have never have a bad cruise, some I have liked better, but never a bad time....
Some people would find fault no matter what!!
Serenade October 2010
Freedom May 2010

Fantasy Nov. 2009
Serenade 2009
Victory March 2008
Holiday 2007
Rhapsody of the Seas 2006
Paradise 2004
Monarch of the Seas 2002
Paradise 2000
Big Red Boat 3x
NCL Sunward II
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:38 AM
First Mate

Bad reviews just doesnt make sense when the Freedom is the newest ship in the fleet with Carnival's top CD in charge. I think you will enjoy your cruise just fine and if they are really having problems onbaord they have lots of time to fix them! Im booked on Freedom in November so im in the same boat that you are (no pun intended). Im just thrilled to be going on a new ship! I cant wait to see it!

MAY 2011 - CARNIVAL GLORY
MAY 2010 - CARNIVAL DREAM
MAY 2009 CARNIVAL FASCINATION
APR 2008 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JUN-2007 CARNIVAL SENSATION
NOV-2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND
APR-2006 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JAN -2000 CARNIVAL IMAGINATION
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Admiral

I was on the same group cruise with Kuki or Thanksgiving and have a great review of the Freedom on here. I also have about 12 photo galleries of her in the galleries from that same trip and many of the pipctures made the picture of the day on this site. You ae getting poor reviews from those who drink hateraide.

My pictures are under my name, michael and titled Thanksgiving Freedom.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Read John Heald's (Senior Cruise Directors) blog....and you will get a good idea of some of the stuff they have to deal with from "people".

The good news is that we have taken many cruises over the years and have never had a bad one. Some were better than others..but none were "bad".

The key is two fold. People need to know HOW to write a proper review and people need to know HOW to read a proper review.

A proper review is written in great detail. The more detail the better. It avoids generalizations and exaggerations. If you see "all the food was terrible" "all the crew were rude" "all the entertainment was bad"...that is not a proper review. That is the ravings of someone with a starfish up their fanny. Ignore them.

Once you find a proper review, then you need to know how to read it.

1. The first step is to separate the proper reviews from those of the "starfish variety". You must determine if their complaints are legitimate. It really is not hard to do.

2. Once you have determined the complaints are legitimate, you need to see if they apply to you. For example, if the complaint is that the karaoke machine was distorting every other song ...that is a legitimate complaint. However, if you don't attend karaoke...it does not apply to you.

3. If the complaints are legitimate AND they do apply to you...that is when you evaluate how much it would affect your cruise. Armed with this information, can you still go and have a wonderful time?

I know the New York Sirloin will be tough and dry. I have eaten in on most of the Carnival ships. That is just a fact of life. But all I eat is beef....so I still get it. Not the best, but it does not ruin my cruise.

It does not mean you should not have have expectations that Carnival needs to meet. It simply means we should keep those expectations reasonable based on proper reviews that have been posted.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Being honest - Freedom is the cream of the Carnival crop right now.

It is OVER THE TOP when it comes to decor, though, but I am sure you will find that somewhat amusing or interesting. Decor has never made a cruise good or bad for me. It is just there.

It is just so gaudy! Colorful and invigorating, to say the least.
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Admiral

As I have posted before-I wonder about these "bad" reviews that I have read. Surly and non attentive crew, nasty people in the shops, unedible food, etc-I have never EVER had an experience such as that on Carnival, RCCL, or Princess. I would take any negative reviews with a very large grain of salt, especially ones that complain about toilets backed up for three days, or one where a staff member pushed a man's wife out of the way entering a tender-I just cannot believe that anything of the kind would be allowed to happen ! Now I know "never say never" BUT I would be eternally shocked ! Anyway-do NOT be put off by a bad review that you read. Experience the cruise for yourself and make your own judgement.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:33 AM
First Mate

Im sure once you get onboard you will be thrilled!

MAY 2011 - CARNIVAL GLORY
MAY 2010 - CARNIVAL DREAM
MAY 2009 CARNIVAL FASCINATION
APR 2008 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JUN-2007 CARNIVAL SENSATION
NOV-2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND
APR-2006 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JAN -2000 CARNIVAL IMAGINATION
Old February 28th, 2008, 06:38 PM
First Mate

Just remember nothing is ever perfect but a cruise sure comes close.

Read and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to NicholasBayard

I am gonna see it for myself in April
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks Mates

thanks Mates, my mind is at ease now, i was concerned because this is a brand new ship, but i'm guessing there are a few disgruntled people that'll never be happy with anything. now i'm thinking that i might upgrade to a balcony instead of the inside.
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasBayard
I am gonna see it for myself in April
We will see for ourselves in November!!!

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Passenger

Default Can't wait...

DH & I are taking on FIRST CRUISE EVER on the Freedom, The Grand Mediterranean cruise, 10/01/08 and we cannot wait!

I'm always amazed at how people will find JUST ABOUT ANYTHING to complain about I have traveled a lot, although I've not cruised a lot and stuff happens. I think issues or concerns have to be put into perspective with the overall situation, which seems to be done rarely.

DH & I have read all the reviews about the Freedom, especially about the decor...the flash, the bells, the whistles, the patterns that make people nauseous. We don't care about it, we really don't! We're thinking, "Okay...great...it's like a Las Vegas Strip hotel that floats! This is gonna be fun!"

We'll be in the Mediterranean, on vacation, with one another, seeing the world...how can life be bad?

We can't wait! I say "just don't worry about it...it's all okay."

Sogni Italiani
First Time Cruiser

Free Cruise Clocks
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Thanks Mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack
thanks Mates, my mind is at ease now, i was concerned because this is a brand new ship, but i'm guessing there are a few disgruntled people that'll never be happy with anything. now i'm thinking that i might upgrade to a balcony instead of the inside.
That is true. There are people that are never happy about anything. "You just won 100,000.00!" .."But they are in 100's and I want all 1's".

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Passenger

My husband and I just completed our first Carnival cruise, and it was on the Freedom. I read a lot of reviews such as you did. We had a really good time on the ship. We were always treated with respect and kindness by the crew. The food was good, shows were of good quality, ship was clean. We had a balcony, which we really enjoy on cruises.

There are a lot of activities for kids of all ages. There were almost 800 kids on this particular cruise, and they always seemed to be doing something and having a good time.

There is a wealth of information on these forums, and I read up on the Freedom before we went and learned a lot. I read so much about a "John Heald" (Cruise Director) -- now, I know why. He is just great. He kept us in stitches most of the time. I would take another cruise just because of him.

Have a great cruise!!!!!

Claudia Anne

Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

kojak im also going in dec.and ive been on a variety of ships,and have always found somthing,alot,of what i like to eat,great entertainment,great service,and the good has always out weiged the bad,and like the pro's have said you cant really compare cruise lines,except,if you daid holland isnt as wild as carnival,or rccl,thats probably true,but let me tell you,when I was on the carnival liberty,there kareoke bar and piano bar were rocking!!best ive seen,and the only neg,was my group was seated in the hallway for dinner,like kuki's,I didnt complain,cause I didnt realize,it

'97 NORDIC EMPRESS
'02 GOLDEN PRINCESS
'03 VEENDAM
'03 GRAND PRINCESS
'04 ZAANDAM
'05 JEWEL OF THE SEAS
'06 CARNIVAL LIBERTY
'07 NORWEGIAN PEARL
'07 NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS
'08 NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS
Old March 23rd, 2008, 01:00 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Thanks Mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack
I believe the expression is that you hit the nail on the head.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:14 PM
Passenger

The first time I came to the boards I had just booked on the Victory for this May. The first review I read on th Victory was paragraphs long and very detailed about what a terrible ship it was. I panicked !! I wrote a response about my fears and received nothing but good responses from those that sailed on her and only good things since. It turned out to be a "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" thing and I have rested ever since thanks to the people here. Everyone tastes in decor and food etc. is different.....as is people's idea of fun. You will be fine :-)
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1942
The first time I came to the boards I had just booked on the Victory for this May. The first review I read on th Victory was paragraphs long and very detailed about what a terrible ship it was. I panicked !! I wrote a response about my fears and received nothing but good responses from those that sailed on her and only good things since. It turned out to be a "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" thing and I have rested ever since thanks to the people here. Everyone tastes in decor and food etc. is different.....as is people's idea of fun. You will be fine :-)
For some reason, the Victory does receive a lot of bad reviews when it sails from New York. It does many 4/5 day cruises during the summer and even folks who are avid cruisers had some valid complaints. However, we cruised her when she did the 7 day in September and had a fabulous time.

Most of the complaints were about the layout being confusing. I guess it is if you dwell on it. We just figured out quickly that you have to go to the 5th floor to go from the front to the back. So the 5th floor became our walkway "through" the ship.

Also the Lido layout does cause some chaos.....again nothing that spoiled our cruise.

One thing to remember if you sail from New York to Canada, that it is a different kind of cruise...more like Alaska than Caribbean. We had 2 days of fog. (one going and one coming back) That was weird. I liked it because it was something different...but if someone is looking for sunshine every day...they probably were not happy.

The Victory (in general) does receive better reviews when it sails the southern route.

You will have a great cruise.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
First Mate

i once read this post by a grl saying how much she absoutly hated cruising.. she kept going on saying that we all said it was gonna be so great!!! thats probebly lke those reviews just one person or a couple having bad experinces.. and i'm pretty sure thats not gonna be you!!

Have an A-m-a-z-i-n-g time with your kids!!!!!

"Cruises will create some of the best memories of your life"
Future Cruises-
Coral Princess
Past Cruises-
Carnival Liberty Spring Break 2008
Carnival Legend October 2007
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Passenger

My favooriite cruise ship to date. will be going in may for my second cruise on the Freedom
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Passenger

First let me say that I was leary of Carnival. We were die hard Princess people. Swore we would never go on Carnival. Well, we started looking for a mediterranean cruise for this past August. Of course the the first place we looked was Princess. Not finding what we liked was dissapointing. Looked at all the other lines with no luck. The only line left was Carnival. I reluctantly clicked on Canival's web site, and found the perfect itinerary for us. I e-mailed the wife and she said ,you won't believe this , but I like it. We both couldn't believe it. Well we booked it. Never say never. We booked everything through Carnival. It couldn't have gone more perfectly. We arrived on board to find the decor, well, different. That aside, we had the most fantastic cruise we ever had. The food, entertainment, service, tours, were the best. If you look hard enough you can always find something to complain about. This was our 8th cruise and the best. If you are the kind of person who can make lemonade out of lemons , you will have a fantastic time just like we had. Enjoy.
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:00 PM
First Mate

Remember reading a review and the things that are in a review that the person did't like and you have no idea what the person writeing the review is like. Somepeople are looked at wrong and they had a bad cruise. They ordered food that they did not like, so the food was bad. They forgot to order something else that they would like it was rasier to complaine about the food. Each cruise is different, as far as people go it's the luck of the draw. Everything else you make for yourself. We just never have any of the problems that are in some reviews, maybe just lucky or maybe we are not that picky with things like some people are. looking at 50 reviews why do 47 have a wounderfull time no problems and 3 have a worst cruise ever ?? HUMMM just makes you wounder what those 3 people are like. Over 20 cruises and never a problem with a crew member or other cruisers.