Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Beginner

Default Has anyone traveled with a baby??

Hi everyone,

I am currently 7 months pregnant with a baby boy due in May. Every year my family goes on a Carnival Cruise and this year it will be the Liberty. They are planning the trip for November so my son will about 6 months. I am extremely undecided as to whether or not it's a good idea to go this year because I've have such a young child and there's absolutely no way I would leave him. Can anyone give me any suggestions or reviews on how their experiences were with young children? I would appreciate it. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Check out the family message board! You'll find lots of information about cruising with babies. It certainly can be done, especially with family (extra arms!). Just know that the experience will be a little different with a young one.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Just remember that you will have to take everything you will need with you. (forumla, diapers, baby food etc).

Also remember that unfortunately one cruising hazard is the Noro Virus and this can be a dangerous event for an infant who can easily get dehydrated. The Doctor onboard is not a pediatrician.

Lots of people do it. Personanlly, I would not. I don't like the idea of being "at sea" with an infant of that age with limited medical resources.
To me, a vacation is not as important as an infant's health and safety.

Our two boys traveled with us everywhere when they were growing up, so we are a big believer in family vacations...but we did not start cruising with them until they were 5 and 8.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Captain

wow i never thought about noro virus, good point.

My daughter and her boyfriend have whispered about marriage...we'll see, but if they do i've already told her i'd pay for back to back cruises so they could get married on a beach and have the second cruise alone to honeymoon....but we'd have a baby with us.....probably under a year.

If you do do this, i'd do a short cruise and be very careful to keep "clean" as possible...however i see the point in waiting till they are atleast toddlers and have a better immune system.

tough choice, if i didnt have too for a very special event, i'd say i wouldnt risk it this time....

good luck
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Passenger

Well not exactly but deb was pregnant on the cruise we were on in 99 so in may the little one will ge to see what he mssed back then lol.
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Admiral

My wife is always crying does that count as bringing a baby?

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Beginner

my daughter was 2 last year we went on carnival holiday and it was fine i didnt leave her either
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:35 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

We have temporary custody of our 2 1/2 year old granddaughter. We have used the cruises as a much needed respite and thank God that we have a good friend aka her daycare provider too who has been gracious enough to watch her while we have vacationed. HOWEVER, now that she will be 3 in September and old enough for Camp Carnival, and God-willing totally potty-trained by then, we are booked for an October 11th cruise together.

With all the flu going around not to mention the fact that I had a horrendous cold that lasted a month following our October 2007 cruise (hot outside and freezing inside), I would pass on the cruise and go to a resort instead. You can find some very reasonable timeshare/condo rentals in various locations that more than fit your needs and you don't have to take anything because you can pre-order a food delivery or go to a nearby market (I've been to Cabo and can tell you everything is within the vicinity of Villa Del Palmar and I pre-order my groceries each time). You can also gaze out at all the ships in port that you'll be able to thoroughly enjoy another year!

Finally, and most importantly, parents are entitled to a break too. If you can swing a four or five-night cruise alone, and have someone very trustworthy and reliable to care for your baby, do it. You will come back rejuvenated!