Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Captain

Default Carnival Cruise Lines to sick passenger: Get off our ship

From USA TODAY:

Feeling sick on a cruise? Be careful what you tell the ship's doctor, lest you suddenly find yourself abandoned on an island far from home.

That, it seems, is the take-away from a front page story this morning in the Tampa Tribune, which reports that Carnival Cruise Lines put a sick passenger ashore on the Honduran island of Roatan last week rather than try to treat him on board.

The paper says 89-year-old Jack Clevenger was celebrating his birthday with his family on the Carnival Legend when he experienced some strange symptoms including blood in his mouth and in his stool. He visited the ship's doctor, who concluded he had internal bleeding and told him he needed to seek medical attention off the ship. The paper says the line then asked him to leave at the next port, which was Roatan.

"They treated us with utter disregard for our safety," Clevenger tells the paper, noting that he and his son had to scramble to find a way off the island and back to the United States on their own. "If we hadn't have had a little bit of money with us, we'd still be in Honduras."

A Carnival spokeswoman told the paper the vessel was about to embark on a two-day sea crossing where it would have been tough to evacuate Clevenger if his condition worsened. Putting him off the ship was the most prudent course.

The Tribune says it took Clevenger and his son two days, three flights and $2,500 to get home to Florida, where Clevenger checked into a hospital. The paper says Clevenger did not have travel insurance, which would have covered some or all of the cost of getting him from the ship to the nearest hospital (or, in some cases, all the way home).
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

And what would have been a better alternative?

The ship's doctor determined he wouldn't be concerned with his safety if he stayed on the ship. He thought the patient would be better off in a hospital.

If they had allowed him to stay on, and his condition worsened I'm afraid the family would be complaining about how bad the treatment was.

And of course the question as to how an 89 yr old would ever consider tranveling without health insurance is beyond me.

Unfortunate incident for sure! But a better solution would be dificult to find.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Thats why they make trip insurance AND you make sure you have a passport.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Captain

I agree with both you I posted this just because it is newsworthy and reminder to everyone about travel insurance
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Admiral

He should have had travel insurance to be sure! But Carnival was unbelievably callous in dumping him in a third world port with lousy medical facilities. I have been on ships where the medical staff bent over backward to prevent such things from happening to passengers who were injured or became ill ashore. Carnival may have thought they were putting a problem out of sight and out of mind -- but in reality they were exposing the cruise line and its stockholders to the possibility of immense legal liability. To say nothing of demonstrating to the cruising public how uncaring they are for the welfare of their passengers.

BTW, there are ways to tell if a person is suffering from serious internal bleeding. Obviously, this gentleman was not.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Kuki,
You are welcome to go to the hospital on Roaton, I'd rather take my chances on the ship! The man and his son said in the account I read that the "hospital" and medical care there was so primitive and inadequate that they decided to just go home rather than risk it!

Fact: They sought medical help from the ship's medical staff. Instead of getting help, they were treated like pieces of expendable human garbage by the cruise line, kicked off the ship and abandoned in a third world hell hole because the ship's Doc figured 'out of sight out of mind.' Inexcusable!

I was aboard the old Royal Cruise Line's Crown Odyssey in 1991 in St. Petersburg USSR when an elderly woman slipped on tour and broke her hip. The medical staff and the Captain held up sailing for 4 hours so they could extract this poor woman from what the ship's doc considered a substandard hospital there, so we could take her to a decent hospital in our next port, Helsinki Finland. Now THAT is mature reasonable judgment showing concern and compassion for your passengers

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Admiral

I think it's very premature, since the story here is so sketchy with facts, that Carnival simply dumped this man in a third world country.

I have no doubt they didn't just dump the man's bags on the pier and tell them they were on their own.

If the Dr. deemed that the patient was at risk he'd most likely be better off in a hospital anywhere than in the restricted facilities available on a ship.

The story does not say whether the man received any treatment at the hospital. The fact that he returned to the US two days later in no way proves that he was not suffering from internal bleeding. It did say he went directly to a hospital when he returned. If the symptoms has simply disappeared he's have most likely just waited to see his doctor.

Just way too many assumptions being made, not in fact, from a few short paragraphs in a newspaper steory. If it was a good reporter they would have researched and supplies many more of the facts. Just lazy journalism to come up with a headline!

I too have seen many cruise line medical emergencies, and this is one area where the cruise lines do the best they can, in the interest of patients.

We've seen cruise lines change their itineraries to get a patient in need of medical care to a port. We've seen coast guard airlifts to deal with the same situations. If this ship near Roatan, where would they even consider going for better medical facilities.

I doubt very highly that there's any basis for any liablity to the cruise line unless something happened on the ship, that they were responible for, to cause the passengers condition.

And.. as I said.. at 89 this passenger and his son certainly didn't show any sense traveling without insurance. They may have handled the situation just as badly once they were off the ship. They may have disregarded the father's condition, and possible consequences, just to get back home.
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
...... Carnival may have thought they were putting a problem out of sight and out of mind -- but in reality they were exposing the cruise line and its stockholders to the possibility of immense legal liability. To say nothing of demonstrating to the cruising public how uncaring they are for the welfare of their passengers.

BTW, there are ways to tell if a person is suffering from serious internal bleeding. Obviously, this gentleman was not.
Ah.. had he died aboard ship, or felt he was improperly diagnosed I'm sure liability would be just as great or even greater.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Kuki, here is the link to the full story. No one knows better than I that true and complete facts are seldom found in news stories, but assuming that this is true, I stand by my assessment.

"This guy is not sick and he demands NOT to be thrown off the ship, but something bad may happen, so my God let's get rid of him and turn him over to third world medicine -- that way if he dies we have washed our hands of him, right???"

It was a tough call, and maybe one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations, but I think they handled it with extraordinarily poor judgement. Is that the way you would want your father, or your wife treated Kuki? Me Neither!

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/mar...rating-his-89/

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It seems here, we are always harping on getting travel insurance. Its a small price to pay compared to the alternative, in which this cases just goes to prove, $2500 to get home to Florida. This poor guy was 89 years old, the cost of insurance would of been a fraction of the cost of that, not including any medical treatment he already had onboard the ship.

I honestly don't think Carnival did anything wrong, they knew they couldn't treat him and the 2 days to get near someplace that could would of been a risk in itself.

While, I'm truly sorry this whole thing happened, its really not any fault of the cruiseline IMO.

I sure hope he's doing better?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
"This guy is not sick and he demands NOT to be thrown off the ship, but something bad may happen, so my God let's get rid of him and turn him over to third world medicine -- that way if he dies we have washed our hands of him, right???"
Rich.. of course we all WISH that none of us or our families would get ill and require medical treatment in a foreign port. However if the situation was urgent I would want them in a hospital, not a ship's infirmary.

Even those of us are seemingly healthy risk these sorts of events when we travel anywhere; more so if you set up to visit "third world" countries. We have to excercise good judgement in evaluating the risks, and those are certainly higher when traveling at 89, or with an 89 yr old father.

Now.. as far as the man not being sick, he went to the Dr., so there was certainly concern. And I can tell you blood in the mouth and in the stool would be taken very seriously... at sea or on land.

I know, because several years ago I noticed blood in my stoll, and went to the hospital. Even though the ER was jammed with people waiting, I was taken in immediately, and they began running tests within 10 minutes.
Showing up with that "symptom" can be a sign of some very serious issues!!

The piece you gave the link to says the ship's Dr. told them he should go to a hospital or get home asap.... and I still think that was good advice under the circumstances.

I do think the cruise line should have helped arrange flights home for the two, even if they had to explain to them that they'd have to pay for it themselves.

For the son and father to plead to stay onboard was bad judgement in my view as well. Thankfully, he got back home and the situation was not an emergency. But that was luck, not good planning. The ship is simply not equipped to handle serious situations. And often, the Drs. onboard are not as good as those in the United States.

My father is 90... so very simlar in age.. so these sorts of problem have been thought about, and I would never travel anywhere with him without insurance.

Travel insurance for people that age can be very expensive. Have to wonder if costs entered in their decision.
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default If people are too sick to travel, they shouldn't!....JMHO

I'll bite on this one and just voice my opinion that some of the passengers I see cruising, I do not know if they are going to make it till sundown let alone till the end of the cruise.
I think you should bear and shoulder personal responsibility 100% yourself if you are fit to travel or not! In my opinion if you are not fit and too sick to travel, you shouldn't. Lest something that is NOT totally unforseeable happens to you and then you expect to get treatment on a cruiseship or elsewhere like you get at the Mayo Clinic!
If you are that sick, maybe you should entertain the thought of the WHAT IFs in light of the countries you are visiting and not expect the cruiseline to bail you out because you were heard-headed enough to travel.
I know this sounds harsh but in my opinion it is the reality of most medical emergencies onboard! I also think that cruiselines should wise up and get passengers, ALL passengers to sign waivers before they are allowed to board which indicate that they assume full personal responsibility for being healthy enough to travel.

Just my take on this subject!

Sorry for the long rant.

Captain
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Look, I've been on several cruises where people have died during the cruise. It happens frequently though most passengers don't know it. There was no indication that this guy was too sick to travel -- none at all that I'm aware of. Cruise lines cater to elderly passengers and make a gazillion dollars off them every year. Many, if not most, could not stay in business without them.

You can be sure that the next old boy who gets a little blood in his stool, (in all probability due to a polyp or to an internal hemorrhoid,) will keep his trap shut and not go to the ship's Doc for fear he'll be thrown out on his butt by some gutless quack. That is tragic.

My hat is off to the courageous Doc and captain in the Crown Odyssey I described in a previous post. I admire people with guts like that. They were willing to take on the Soviet Union in order to do right by a passenger who trusted them. What a contrast!! Have we sunk that far in less than twenty years?

And Kuki, I hear what you are saying, and part of me agrees -- but Roatan is NOT Calgary or Denver! To dump someone there is COLD!! And you are right, they had an obligation to arrange flights or do something other than just dump the old boy off the ship

One lesson we can certianly all agree on: never fail to have the travel insurance!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Admiral

I can tell you that in light of this event, if I ever develop what may or may not be a serious problem while on a ship and the next port is some third world hell hole, I will NOT report it. I'd be a fool to.

Example: virtually ALL modern cruise ships have a supply of clot busting drugs and can treat a simple heart attack pretty well. Most third world Hospitals do not, and can not. They lack the drugs and the expertise. Many lack even antibiotics and basic sanitation.

Under those circumstances, if you are the ship's Doc and a man comes to you with chest pains, and has possibly had a heart attack, do you kick him off the ship and into the incompetent, unskilled and ill equipped hands of third world medicine, or do you treat him on board? I guess if you are this doctor on Carnival your decision is easy. You throw the guy off and let him take his chances! Out of sight out of mind. Yuk Yuk -- what me worry?

90,000 people every year die in the United States alone due to medical "mistakes." That doesn't mean we have to continue to tolerate them!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Under those circumstances, if you are the ship's Doc and a man comes to you with chest pains, and has possibly had a heart attack, do you kick him off the ship and into the incompetent, unskilled and ill equipped hands of third world medicine, or do you treat him on board?
If a person comes to the Dr. with something they believe they can treat, they'll most certainly treat it. So, the argument isn't valid.

And to assume an entire country, even third world, doesn't have sanitary medical facilities is somewhat naive. No question they likely won't be up to North American standards, but to be fair, in many cases, neither are the doctors working on cruise ships. And neither do they have more than the most very basic diagnostic equiptment available to them.

You definitely SHOULD hope you or your family members don't have a real emergency on a cruise, because they are definitely no better equipped to handle them than is third world hospital.

As I've said before, ships, including Carnival ships have diverted to different ports to get their passengers medical care. I've been onboard when the ship rushed to a meeting point with coast card to medivac emergency cases. These ships are not capable of being floating hospitals. Might be dad, but it's true.

Thankfully the man in this case was not critical, and appears to be alright.
It easily could have turned out much worse
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Admiral

"You definitely SHOULD hope you or your family members don't have a real emergency on a cruise, because they are definitely no better equipped to handle them than is third world hospital."

I just gave you an example where that is not true: early treatment of a coronary.

In my opinion it was a heartless and gutless performance on the part of the ship's Doc and the crew. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one Kuki.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Our one experience with a ships medical staff and facilities was the single most dissapointing moment on any cruise ship. We visited the infirmary on the Fantasy after my wife banged her knee on a shore excursion. From the moment we walked in, they were rude and uncaring. The nurse at the desk scolded us for "showing up 20 minutes before they closed". Then the doctor told us that if she hit her knee and it hurt enough to come to the infirmary, then we should have just gone to a hospital in Cozumel. Their facility didn't appear to be set up to handle anything more than handing out sea sickness meds. Their only other function seemed to be to make sure our injury would not lead to any form of litigation in the future against Carnival.
They didn't even have a small portable x-ray machine. I agree with Kuki that the doctors onboard are probably not up the standard we have practicing in here in the US.
I really expected a better experience and much better facilities. Lessons I learned from this are (1) that you never travel without insurance (I never have before and this just reinforced that). (2) Remember that a cruise line is a business and they will always cover their own tail. (3) A ships infirmary is nothing more than a small town clinic with VERY limited resources and abilities.
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Captain

This surely is a reminder to get travel insurance. Something about this story doesn't sit right because after Roatan there is 1 sea day then Tampa. Not 2 sea crossing days. If the Carnival Doc felt it was unsafe for him to travel the 1 sea day until the home port at Tampa, they should have assisted them in either arranging a flight home or securing medical care.

AKcruiser
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Mischef, the treatment your wife received is definitely below the standard of care and compassion I have seen on other cruise lines. Perhaps this whole thing is more of a Carnival problem than an industry wide one. I have seen much more done on other ships: treatment of injuries, antibiotics prescribed, etc. even dialysis on one ship. Sometimes in their zeal to avoid liability companies bring it upon themselves.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Admiral

As much as people would like to put labels on one cruise line, the treatment is very similar on other lines.

The Fantasy is an older ship that I haven't been on, and am unfamiliar with its infirmary. Certainly the infirmaries I've seen on other ships, across the boards, have x ray machines, and equipment to handle basic medical needs. They do have some limited medicines onboard.

Rich referred to dialysis. They have dialysis cruises, where the machines are brought onboard specifically for that cruise. It's not equiptment they have in their normal inventory.

I've perhaps unfortunately been witness to medical problems of friends on several cruises, from minor to quite serious, to some that proved fatal later. Probably 30% of the cruises I've been on have had medical emergencies onboard, where we had to change ports, return to ports, or have helicopter medivacs.
And not just Carnvial. In fact they are just as common on other lines. Elderly people often have more time and more money to cruise more often, and along with that go more incidence of medical emergancies.
I believe Holland America and Cunard ships carry 6 caskets onboard.

Princess (owned by Carnival Corp) I believe has communications abilities set up with US based ERs to be able to send lab results and other tests directly to get assistance.

What people should also know is the Drs. onboard are not employeed by the cruise lines. The medical facilities are outsourced on contract, much like the shops , and some other departments onboard.
Old March 6th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Captain

Ok i have read the entire story and i seriously believe that Carnival did the right thing!

As a medical professional, i know that leaving this person on board with such limited means to treat very serious illness would have been gross negligence on the part of the MD. He made a decision to have this person leave the ship and get help.

It was this mans decision to not get the help he should have. There is a hospital there, it might not be "to his liking" but it has facilities to check to see if his life was threatened by the bleeding. Then if deemed safe he could have flown home. He took his own chances renting a hotel room and finding 3 flights "home". Heck he went to miami and still took yet another flight and a shuttle to get to Braedenton!!!!???

If the airline had known he was possibly very ill, they too would NOT have let him fly. He would have been forced to be checked out at a hospital and be given a release stating he was clear. Its just not fair to blame the cruise line.

Ok, about insurance...well...duh. Everyone should carry it. This is a perfect example...anyone can get hurt or sick, but 89 years old??? good lord...what were they thinking.

Truthfully, shame on his son for letting his father take a 2-3 day hike back to the tampa area before getting treatment SOMEWHERE.

Symptoms like his sound a lot like esophogeal varices, and without proper diagnostic tools, a disease like this could cause massive hemmorhage and death in a very short time, especially without proper medical avenues to treat it. I'm not diagnosing him, its just a guess at what the MD on board might have been thinking. To send a man back to his room with a potential risk for death would be NEGLIGENCE.

Point is, this man, God love him, could have had a serious life threatening issue. He HAD A CHANCE to get medical attention in Honduras. He had a chance to fly to a more civilized area (if he was to aghast at the facilities there) and get treatment there (Cozumel?? i'm sure they have decent facilities)...yet the man chose to risk his life getting home. HIS DECISION.

No doubt Carnival made the best decision for this man to get off the boat. Did they NOT want the liability for letting him stay and bleeding to death? Yup, ofcourse! Why wouldnt they??? They'd be stupid if they did! Just like an airline would be stupid for letting a pt acutely ill fly.
Old March 6th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Admiral

More of the drive-by media making a story out of a simple story. Of course, it is serious to the passenger because of his condition and he needed credible health care fast. Major surgeries are out of the question on the ships. He needed to get off and get to a safe medical facility that could care for his illness. The media just enjoys twisting a story into something sensational.

What did he expect if anything? For Carnival to cover all of his expenses?

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Captain

Quote:
He should have had travel insurance to be sure! But Carnival was unbelievably callous in dumping him in a third world port with lousy medical facilities. I have been on ships where the medical staff bent over backward to prevent such things from happening to passengers who were injured or became ill ashore. Carnival may have thought they were putting a problem out of sight and out of mind -- but in reality they were exposing the cruise line and its stockholders to the possibility of immense legal liability. To say nothing of demonstrating to the cruising public how uncaring they are for the welfare of their passengers.

Great post and absolutely right, in my opinion. It might have been a bit different if they were leaving him in Canada or somewhere in Europe etc...But Honduras? I think alot of people, even experienced cruisers, have never REALLY visited a third world country, seen their medical facilities and infrastructure (if there even is one)....Getting off a ship for a few hours and going on some excursion or visiting some all inclusive resort is not truly seeing a third world country for what it is. At the very least, they should have had ship staff go with the family and make whatever travel arrangements they needed to and made sure they had a safe place to stay...Maybe they did and it just didn't get published, but I doubt it. Yeah, he should of had travel insurance but I'm guessing the last thing on his or his family's mind while stuck in HONDURAS was reimbursment issues.

I think some on this board should remember that not everyone who cruises, or travels in general, is a highly experienced traveler who spends endless hours reseaching their cruise, vacation or whatever. Not everyone can afford nor has the time to take a half dozen or so cruises a year. More power to those that do/can. So cut the guy a little slack on the travel insurance thing...It IS NOT the issue.

If they really did this to that guy, that's about enough for a boycott Carnival. Maybe the reason the reporter didn't get Carnival's version of the incident is because they were as about as forthcoming with info' as the cruise lines usually are when they have tragedies....As in not very.
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Captain

Quote:
Look, I've been on several cruises where people have died during the cruise. It happens frequently though most passengers don't know it. There was no indication that this guy was too sick to travel -- none at all that I'm aware of. Cruise lines cater to elderly passengers and make a gazillion dollars off them every year. Many, if not most, could not stay in business without them.

You can be sure that the next old boy who gets a little blood in his stool, (in all probability due to a polyp or to an internal hemorrhoid,) will keep his trap shut and not go to the ship's Doc for fear he'll be thrown out on his butt by some gutless quack. That is tragic.

My hat is off to the courageous Doc and captain in the Crown Odyssey I described in a previous post. I admire people with guts like that. They were willing to take on the Soviet Union in order to do right by a passenger who trusted them. What a contrast!! Have we sunk that far in less than twenty years?

And Kuki, I hear what you are saying, and part of me agrees -- but Roatan is NOT Calgary or Denver! To dump someone there is COLD!! And you are right, they had an obligation to arrange flights or do something other than just dump the old boy off the ship

One lesson we can certianly all agree on: never fail to have the travel insurance!
Again, spot on. One simple test would tell us an awful lot. Did anyone from Carnival ever call this guy after a few days and see how he was doing? Also, maybe Carnival could pony up the cost of air transportation home for sick, elderly passengers instead of having the shrug their shoulder, "should of had travel insurance", attitude that many on here some to have. I know that would really take such a huge chunk out of their billions, but somehow, I think they could manage. At 89 yrs old, the debate shouldn't be about travel insurance or even where he can get the best medical care...It should be about letting HIM decide where HE feels safest and most comfortable. One of the most basic choices people want when it comes to their health is the freedom to decide what doctor/treatment is best for them. But for some reason, a Carnival doctor should be the one to make such a decision for this guy? Come on. Obviously, he is going to feel safer (and truly be more safe) on the ship...Even if it's not exactly the Mayo Clinic. His health isn't going to matter much if he's not in a safe, secure place...And Honduras (the real Honduras, not the ship excursion Honduras) aint it.
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Again, spot on. One simple test would tell us an awful lot. Did anyone from Carnival ever call this guy after a few days and see how he was doing? Also, maybe Carnival could pony up the cost of air transportation home for sick, elderly passengers instead of having the shrug their shoulder, "should of had travel insurance", attitude that many on here some to have.
There was nothing to say that they didn't run several tests on this man. I can't imagine the Dr. would have just heard that there was blood and said "Get off the ship".

Also... I think expecting Carnival to pay for their airfare is just another example of the "they have deeper pockets, so they should pay" attitude that way too many people have and apply to any company they have any kind of dealings with.

It's the same way that people just expect the cruise lines to pony up when for some reason they have to cancel a cruise on short notice. They are very up front about their policies yet people choose to save money in the short term and then expect the cruise lines to cover their bad judgment.

The man was traveling with family, and said he normally buys insurance, but he just didn't this time. The family was ver

The article also did say that the man was escorted by a cruise line employee. I'd guess it was their port agent... and again the article didn't say how much assistance was, or was not, offered.

I AM NOT unsympathetic to the family. I've been in emergency situations with my own family and it's scary to go through, and know how to deal. But somewhere along the line we do have to accept responsibility for our own actions, and think about consequences when we travel.

I would have loved to take my parent on a cruise, and they'd love to go. However, due to health issues that could rear their head, we both realized it was taking too big a chance.
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
................But somewhere along the line we do have to accept responsibility for our own actions, and think about consequences when we travel.
I would have loved to take my parents on a cruise, and they'd love to go. However, due to health issues that could rear their head, we both realized it was taking too big a chance.

At the risk of sounding harsh, AMEN to that, that is exactly the point I was trying to make in my post.

Captain
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Admiral

It's an interesting topic, and there are good points on both sides. But I still say that Carnival's actions here will not encourage the next 'ole boy with a medical problem to go to the ship's Doc to get checked out if the next port is one with substandard medical care. Quite the contrary!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
It's an interesting topic, and there are good points on both sides. But I still say that Carnival's actions here will not encourage the next 'ole boy with a medical problem to go to the ship's Doc to get checked out if the next port is one with substandard medical care. Quite the contrary!
Rich... on that we both agree!

At the same time I think a thread like this is valuable. Disagreements are terrific when they lead to a dialogue instead of an arguement; A good discussion with a few different views and opinions on the topic in the long run is helpful to everyone.

While some will choose to keep their problems a secret, and see how it plays out, hopefully they'll also see how important it is to have health and travel insurance when traveling abroad.
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Kuki,
we are leaving next week and I'm checking our insurance twice

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Kuki,
we are leaving next week and I'm checking our insurance twice
all this talk about this member cruising this week, that member cruising tomorrow, now Rich & Stacy leaving next week is making me jealous of ya guys and I feel like booking another cruise NOW!

Captain