Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Beginner

Default What to bring/ NOT to bring to the port of calls

Its my first time on a cruise, therefore also the Ports of Call ( Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and ocho rios), so I was curious of what type of things to take with me to the islands or what not to take, since iam sure there will be times on excursions that i might not be able to watch all my things. I wanted to take my Digital camera and Ipod but Iam thinking these things are a No?
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:57 PM
First Mate

It really depends on what you are wanting to do. As far as a camera, I always bring mine, most places I can keep it with me and others may have lockers to rent. The i pod is fine, but make sure that you are able to listen to it and keep alert to your surrondings.
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I don't think you will need the ipod. There are so many things to do and see that you won't even think about taking it out.

The digital camera is a must to bring because you never know when you need it.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica is a beautiful place and you will love it! I would suggest not wearing anything flashy or jewellery in Jamaica. It is a poor country and if you stray off the path into the real Jamiaca you do not know what will happen. I also suggest bringing only what money you think you will need and if you aren't going to use the credit card, leave it on the ship!!!!

Cozumel and Grand Cayman are fairly safe. Cozumel has so many ships that visit that if you stick to the main drag or the Punta Langosta shopping area (right off the pier and on the other side of the street) you will be fine.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Passenger

Default jamaica

Sounds like you're saying there are robbers lurking around every corner in Jamaica is that how it is Misguided ? i'd love to know
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Beginner

Before we went to Cozumel we were warned about watching our stuff. When we went parasailing we had to leave our stuff on the boat. My husband tucked our bag way under the seat a certain way so we could tell if someone touched it. When we got back down, we saw that it had been tampered with. Fortunately I had a camera case that went over my shoulder and I took that up there with me, tucking all my money and our credit card into it before we were hoisted up.
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM
First Mate

Don't be afraid, just be aware. Anywhere you go in this world if you give someone too easy of an opportunity, you might get taken. I don't think there are robbers lurking around every corner, but when you mix poverty with opportunity, it can cost you.
Be safe, have fun, it is possible to do both!
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The best advice as mentioned it to be aware...WE are on vacation,the Island isn't. When you get off in port carry a small handbad that you can wear ACROSS the body, this way it will not be a grab and run.A fanny pack will work too.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 7th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Admiral

1. Take a COPY of your passport with you off the ship but do not take the actual passport.

2. Take picture ID (Drivers License).

3. Take cash.

4. Take a credit card (if you have one).

5. Take a camera if you are taking pictures.

6. Do not wear flashy (even fake) jewelry.

7. Take a washcloth in case you get sweaty.

8. It weights little or nothing.

9. Take one of those little emergency kits you get from Walmart or Targets for $.99.

10. Take one of those tiny bottles of hand sanitizer.

11. Do not take an I-Pod. This is something you won't use and just something to lose.

Carry the cash, credit cards and copy of passport in something small that either goes over your shoulder, in your pocket or around your waist.

Carry a tote bag to hold your purchases, emergency kit, towels, etc.

MOST IMPORTANT!!!!! TAKE A WATCH AND STAY ON THE SHIP'S TIME!!!!

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Captain

Default Re: jamaica

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack
Sounds like you're saying there are robbers lurking around every corner in Jamaica is that how it is Misguided ? i'd love to know
ok i'll answer.

No, there probably ARENT robbers lurking around every corner. There HAS been highly publized events regarding ambushing of americans in jamaica, infact an entire family was robbed (i think by knife point), kids included not to long ago.

Jamaica is a dangerous place to visit if you do not know what your doing or you disregard warnings and stroll down thier side streets like you own the place. Its more than a little poor, its almost devastated. I know 10 yrs ago our housekeeper there said she made 12.00 a week american. she worked daily. I good score from a tourist could be a years salary.

There are a lot of desperate people, and yanno, a lot of very GOOD people too. You cant assume everyone is dangerous but at the same time you can assume they COULD BE. Leaning toward the safe side of thinking can not hurt you...and staying with groups and on main paths/areas is the smart thing to do. A couple walking the streets alone make for a better target.

I'll not go into jamaica unless im being driven to a resort or event and driven back from said place. I've been there too many times to risk it. Its beautiful but not safe like Cozumel or Caymans (which caymans i felt extrememly safe!)
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Captain

i would bring a snall frist aid kit the reason i bring the frist aid kit is
when i was in jamaica i cut my finger and i ak the guide for a band aid
they did't know what i was talking about you can make frist aid kit get small baggie put some band aideand cleansing wipe and stick in your bag
Old March 8th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Passenger

WATER!!

Even though the price of a big bottle of water from the ship may be outrageous to some, I always get one to take to the first port. After that I just refill it on the ship to take to the next port.

Holiday - 1986
Festivale - 1987
Destiny - 2004, 2005, 2006
Victory - 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/h...host=community - Destiny and Victory photos
on the Victory for our son's 21st bday!
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Passenger

when im on my cruise i bring a camera everywhere.... i dont think you will need the ipod... there is so much stuff to do you probably wouldnt end up usin it anyways if you brought it long.
carnival conquest- 2004
carnival pride- 2005
carnival valor- 2006
carnival conquest- 2006
carnival triumph- 2007
carnival victory- 2008
carnival triumph- 2009
=]
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Captain

If you are going to the beach do not take your expensive digital camera.

Instead buy one of those disposable underwater cameras from Wal-Mart and the like for about $10. That way you wont have to worry about your good equiptment being stolen while ypu swim. Plus you can take the camera with you underwater id you snorkle. You don't have to worry about sand salt water etc ruining your equiptment.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09