Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to christinabeena
Default Just booked my first cruise!

My roommate and I just booked our cruise on Glory September 6. I am so excited. We booked an IS room because of the rate and in hopes of an upgrade. Does anyone know how often the upgrades happen in this situation? Also, is it better to book the excursions on your own or with the cruiseline? Any advice you can give me would be appreciated! Also, my logic to booking it on the 6th is that there wouldnt be too many school age children as they would be back in school. Is this just wishful thinking on my part?
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Admiral

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You will be hooked on cruising as of Sept 7th.

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Redheadsmama

Congratulations. We are booked on our first cruise for
November 22.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Welcome to cruisemates and cruising.. Yes you will get hooked. HAHAHA

If you get an upgrade, chances are you will get upgraded to another inside room. Its rare that you would get upgraded from inside to a room with a ocean view or even a balcony.

I've always booked excursions or went on them on my own. Its personal preference. If your more comfortable booking through the cruise line then do so just remember to make sure you keep track of time. You do not want to miss the ship. They will not wait.

People bring their kids with them regardless of the time of year.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Yay!

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 11th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Congrats on your first cruise, you are gonna have a great time. Hey you are going to have plenty of time to get all your questions answered.
Just sit back and watch your cruisemates... by sept you feel fully prepared and ready to go.

This was my experience last sept. I even invited someone who had been on a cruise before to kinda be our guide... it was alot of fun, but turns out all I really needed was cruisemates....
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old March 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Congratulations!!! You will have a great time!

Old March 11th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Passenger

Welcome to cruising. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

We have experienced both ways types of excursions. Factors we consider:
Length of excursion - if long excursion we usually book with cruise lines because they will wait for you if a cruise sponsered excursion. We have had ships wait for us twice because the excursions were late getting back. How embarrassing to have everyone waving at you as you run to the gangway
If the excursion is short and early in the port time then booking on your own will probably still allow you time to return to the ship even if the excursion encounters problems. Saving money on booking your own won't off-set the cost of catching up to the ship if it leaves port without you.
Port/destination: we are booked for St Petersburg Russia in May. If we take Princess sponsered excursion we don't need to apply for visa. If we want to go off on our own we need to purchase visa ($289 for the two days). So sticking with Princess excursion is better since excursions includes entry fees for places.
In ports where English is common (since we are from the US) then sometimes we venture off and get our own excursions or taxis - Caribbean, Mexico and US ports.

Experince in port also plays a part. If we have been to a port more than once we have a good idea of what to expect. So for your first cruise it might be less stressful to let the cruise line take care of you.

Kids - we never travel in the summer or over holidays because the number of kids increase drastically - just like any other attraction. Athough there are still kids on the ships when we sail the are usually small non-school age kids or if there are 'older' kids they are usually a small amount.

Enjoy your cruise.

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to christitunes

Sweet!! Congratulations. ...I'm going on the Elation on May 31 and this will be my first cruise, so I understand how excited you are! I got a decent rate on IS as well. The only excursion I'm interested in is the Snuba experience in Cabo. Through the cruiseline, it's $105, but the Snuba website has it for $75. Does anybody have experience with booking this particular excursion?
Old March 11th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Passenger

Best advice - read this board! I got so much info from here before my first cruise. Several people in our group commented, where did you learn all this? I was like - hey! it's online at cruisemates!. I felt very much in the know and calm about the new experience before me. I was so prepared. Even the morning we left, I posted two frantic questions and answers came immediately.

I copied one woman's post, who had sailed on our exact cruise route, our exact ship, about 2 months before. She had written an excellent, fair and plain account of their trip. I had this whole story with me in my bag and we referred to it often. Such a big help!

Happy cruising. A friend said, the happiest she is is when she and her husband are walking off a ship at cruise's end and they already have another cruise booked. Can't wait till we go again -
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Passenger

Just be prepared for cold water. We were in Cabo in early May a few years ago and went snorkling. The water was so cold we couldn't stay in there. But we managed to warm up on the 'free' rum punch served on the boat.

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise dreaming
Just be prepared for cold water. We were in Cabo in early May a few years ago and went snorkling. The water was so cold we couldn't stay in there. But we managed to warm up on the 'free' rum punch served on the boat.
D'oh! How about late May? Do you think a few weeks is enough to warm up the water?
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to christinabeena

congrats Christitunes! Have fun and enjoy! Let me know how you like it!
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinabeena
congrats Christitunes! Have fun and enjoy! Let me know how you like it!
TY, 'tinabeena! You do the same!
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Passenger

Pacific ocean is colder than Caribbean Sea or Atlantic ocean. Don't know if few weeks will warm up that much. Check some websites for ocean temps. I just know we froze and couldn't snorkel. We always snorkel in the Caribbean so just weren't prepared for the cold. Maybe we were all just whimps

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default do your own thing

While after 2 cruises we are in no way experts..... I have come to the realization that if you wait till you get off the ship in port and look around you can find shore excursions at about half the price the cruise lines charge.

Want to sight see and go to a beach? Do a taxi and let him show you around and drop you off at the best beach and have him return to take you back to the ship and you will save a lot of cash!
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009