CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   TWO WAY RADIOS (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/348299-two-way-radios.html)

bdesor97 March 11th, 2008 12:52 PM

TWO WAY RADIOS

We are taking our 4th cruise this July (yea) and feel the need to take some type of communication this time to keep up with a 11 year old. The obvious is walkie talkies. Anybody have any hints before I buy? I don't really know what to look for and I want to make sure what works on the boat. Thank you
Brenda

schooner78 March 11th, 2008 12:58 PM

HI, we just returned from the Liberty and we used the Motorola water proof walkie talkies and they were great. We even used them in port in Tortola while the 12 and 13 yr old stayed on board. Just make sure you find a station that is not already being used. We used 6 and worked for the whole cruise. ENJOY!!

schooner78 March 11th, 2008 01:38 PM

Oops...they were Cobra micro Talk not Motorola. Sorry

Johnathan March 12th, 2008 10:39 AM

I have a set of Cobra ones and they work really well. Best advice I can give is shop around and ask which ones you recommend for a family then compare prices/features. Worst thing you can do is just buy the first ones you see, you'd hate for them to stop working or not work right on the cruise.

Has anyone else heard that Carnival rents out two way radios? I recall someone mentioning that before...

ishboo March 25th, 2008 09:42 PM

I've never used them on cruise ships but I am somewhat of a radio afficianado (spelling?) Look for family band, that will save you $20-$30 rich off the bat, these include 14 channels approved by the fcc for general use, they are very common so expect some interference with other people using them, the best way to counter this is to find some that use quiet codes basically you switch to the quiet code and you don't hear everyone else, the only downside is everyone one on that channel can hear you. (i.e. if you are on channel 7 and so is someone else you will here them and vise versa, if you are on channel 7 quiet code 14 you wont here them but they can still hear you) there isn't a huge variety in features ifyou just need to communicate. Motorola makes the best in my experiance. I have about 20 overall half of which are motorolla's the rest are relative crap. Ebay is a good place to look but you probably won't spend over $20/radio or under for that matter.

Hope this helps

cruzin4fun March 25th, 2008 09:53 PM

Carnival rents the radios on board. Its easier than having to shlep them thru airports and packing in your bags. They will rent them by the week but I am not sure of the price. Guarenteed to work too...

ilovecruises22 March 25th, 2008 11:24 PM

wow never knew carnival did that before :) going to have too look into the price on them.. how far do the carnival ones work.. i guesse it dosent need to be too long though cuz you're on a ship while using them :) lol

Ro March 26th, 2008 07:10 AM

I purchased a pair on Ebay they are nice and work in our home for the tryout but I am not sure they will work on the Glory. What range do you need on a ship?

Nicnme March 26th, 2008 11:01 AM

We take our own on each cruise. We have Motorola with a range of 3 miles. Works well on board and in port. You do have to be careful of which channel you use. We did have a slight issue on the Triumph. If you were at diffent ends of the ship or to many floors apart, you some times had to wonder around until you found you party on the radio. We figure it had something to do with all the electrical things and other people using the radios (interference). Over all, not a problem but something to be aware of. Definitely recommend them. Would suggest buying especially if you cruise again. That way you don't keep wasting $$$ on rentals. good luck and enjoy :!:

Joe323 March 27th, 2008 04:27 PM

I have also heard that sometimes the crew uses radios, so that you might here some stuff about which toilets aren't flushing etc. Has anyone had this experience.

seadog2 March 27th, 2008 09:15 PM

We always take ours and use them on board and ashore. I have Cobras 14 mile range and 18 mile range. The best ones that I have are the Motorola 25 mile range. All work well on the ship. Although no matter what range you have there is going to be dead spots on the ship. Also no matter what channel you are on there is going to be chatter. As stated you can silence the talk. Another thing to consider is how many watts the radio puts out. The Motorolas that I have puts out 5 watts. That's good. Enjoy your cruise.

ishboo March 27th, 2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe323
I have also heard that sometimes the crew uses radios, so that you might here some stuff about which toilets aren't flushing etc. Has anyone had this experience.

They use professional radios, not family-band radios

cruisecouple March 27th, 2008 11:17 PM

Cruises aren't free for alls. Know where your child is. No child should be unsupervised. Would you let your child run unsupervised at a beach so that you had no idea where he was? Make use of Camp Carnival. Go to orientation. He'll probably love it, make new friends and take walkies for each person that you are traveling with so no one gets lost. I also understand that Camp Carnival may have some new doings for the tween set, check with Carnival.

cruisecouple March 27th, 2008 11:20 PM

just a p.s. We used walkies for our five-girl cruise on Inspiration last May and they were a god-send and we'll definitely be using them again because our group has grown to 10 for this May.

Inis46 March 28th, 2008 12:12 AM

We didn't take any on our last cruise but sure wished we had them when our family got separated one evening after dinner. We spent almost 1 hour looking for each other walking around in circles, and on the Legend, that is one, heck of a big circle!

Joe323 March 28th, 2008 11:39 AM

One related question I know Ham Radio Equptment is banned due to possible ship interfrence. Would that also apply to my CB walkie Talkies?

MichaelnSC March 28th, 2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

One related question I know Ham Radio Equptment is banned due to possible ship interfrence. Would that also apply to my CB walkie Talkies?
Check with the cruise line.
Also, radios rated as FRS are fine for cruising but if you use Grms rated
radios you do need a FCC GMRS license for operating in the US/US territories. GMRS radios look similar to Family Radio Service radios but have a greater range. Best bet is to make sure which you are buying.

scubapete March 28th, 2008 05:52 PM

Have used them for years

My partner and I use them often while fishing and hunting. Motorola has always worked well for me, except when dropped in a creek. LOL
The advertised ranges are approximate though, in hilly terrain it is often less than stated. I could imagine dead spots on board as these are basically line of site devices, too much between them and nothing. Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas have them on sale sometimes, often a two for one deal. You can check them both online.

Kegan36604 April 3rd, 2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seadog2
........ use them on board and ashore. I have Cobras 14 mile range and 18 mile range. The best ones that I have are the Motorola 25 mile range..........

Remember folks, those ratings are for "line of sight" and under optimum conditions. Don't expect to be able to speak to someone 10 miles away, even with the 25 mile rated radios if they are in a city with lots of tall buildings and/or electrical interferance. Ditto on the ship. You might find if people are on opposite ends of the ships, both inside, with several decks between them to boot, the radio will not work well.

I encourage you to try them out in the neighborhood, airport, etc before the cruise so you know the ability and limitations. Hate to see you panic in a port some time when you can not "raise" your loved one on the radio.