Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Passenger

Default Tipping the Camp Carnival staff

My daughter, age 2, will be spending alot of time in Camp Carnival, surely. Which is a wonderful service for us! I know that we would like to tip the staff there as they will be dealing with diaper changes, her attitude etc.

I plan on doing automated tipping through the pursers office because I hate the idea of carrying cash that can be lost or stolen - but is that an option for tipping staff not normally included in that? This is my first cruise so I'm not sure exactly how tipping works. We can adjust the tipping amount with the pursers office, right?

Jen D.
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Yes, the tipping can be adjusted.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Passenger

So I can pick who gets tips? If my understand is correct the camp staff is on a different pay scale than the serving staff usually included in the tipping - they're on the same pay scale as the entertainers so not necessarily considered 'service staff'? We won't be eating much in the dining room so rather than tip above and beyond there, as I normally would, I would like to transfer that to the camp staff.

Jen D.
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Yes, the tipping is automatic if you don't designate. Otherwise, you can designate if you go to the purser.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Passenger

Fabulous! Thanks for the info!

Jen D.
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Admiral

We tipped the CC staff the last night in cash and it was very appreciated. Reconsider adjusting your other tips because even though you don't eat in the dining room, the staff also work in the buffet and various areas of the ship when not on duty in the dining room. You might see your dining room server at breakfast and even sit in that section every morning for great service. JMO.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Captain

crap a bucket...i cant believe i never thought to tip my camp workers

i have this overwhelming desire to send them 50 bucks....

I'm so ashamed, really ashamed.
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Admiral

It is my understanding that since CC staff are not part of the tip pool they must be tipped in cash. You may be able to designate something thru the pursers desk but since it is not the norn who knows when/if they will actually get it. A cash envelope with a personal "thank you" will be timely and appreciated.
58 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Passenger

Thanks ScurvyDog -

That's what I'm worried about that I won't be able to do it through the purser's office. I'm not planning on bringing any cash with me and my concern is not having any on hand for the CC staff.

Does anyone have any experience working with the pursers office to tip staff that is not normally included in the tip pool?

Jen D.
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Admiral

I know that when we used them for the late night activities, you would have to sign for the charges and there was a spot on the reciept where you could add a gratuity on the charge slip.
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:58 PM
First Mate

Yes I would tip them lots at the end of the cruise for watching your
kids. I would give them cash on top of what they charge you per
day.

The help goes out of there way to take care of you all day and night
and to see to you having a good time. They seem to work around
the clock. Often wonder how or when they get to sleep.

I always give those who take care of me cash as I see them the
last day.
Cant put a price on being spoiled...

Sammy 1954
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Passenger

Hi Jen - I've been on two cruises with my son (when he was 4 and again at 6) and he LOVED his Camp Carnival counselors...so much so he preferred to be with them more than his mom and dad!

As others have mentioned, the counselors are not part of the normal tipping pool, and we gave them an envelope on the last night of the cruise. On both cruises when we asked different counselors what the procedure was for tipping, they told us they warmly welcome gratuities and according to them, the counselors all pool their tips and then divide them at the end of each cruise. I found that interesting, and fair...even though we had a couple favorite counselors, it is true they all worked hard to keep the kids occupied and happy. Who knows if that's what they actually do or not, but we departed content in having tipped for fabulous effort/service.

If you don't want to carry cash, and are unsure about the P-desk allowing "extra" tipping, perhaps you could bring a travelors check you could give them? That way if it gets lost/stolen you could recoup the money. The cabins have safes in them so you could keep it there worry free for the week. My husband and I brought just enough cash to cover tips, and didn't have a problem.

Have fun!
Old March 15th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Admiral

It is correct that the $10 per day per person does not include any Camp Carnival Staff. That is just for wait staff (food related) and cabin stewards and attendants.

We have always tipped the Camp Carnival staff depending on the amount of time each child spent in Camp Carnival. When they both used it all the time...we would tip $25.00 per child (since they were in different age groups) Sometimes, $30.00 a child if the service was extremely exceptional.

The oldest is grown...so we only have the 16 year old.

The 16 year old in Club 02 has Autism and that depends on how much they have do for him. I have tipped as little as $20 (for a 4 day) and as much as $100.00 (for a 7 day) for him.

I also tip the karaoke hosts. The least I have tipped for a 5 day is $20.00. The most for a 7 day was $50.00.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND