Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Beginner

Default Can you leave a Carnival Cruise before its final port?

I am looking at cruises this summer, and the Carnival Splendour 12 Night from July 25-August 6 London round trip looks great. Only problem, my daughter will be with me, and she needs to be in Dublin on August 5. Does Carnival allow guests to leave the cruise from a port other than its final destination (in our case, we would leave one day early, when the ship is in Amsterdam).

Any knowledge of these kind of situations would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Passenger

I would think it would be some type of security risk.
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

In Europe you should have no problem arranging this. Just let the cruise line know in advance.

If the ship were moving between U.S. ports the Passenger Services Act would prevent it.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Ok since I not a very bright person I have a question.
I thought people said that the cruise ship leaves you if you are late, if thats so, how/when does the Passenger Services act come into play?

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The essence of "the act" is that a ship that is not registered in the United States can not begin and end a cruise in a U.S. port without a stop at a "distant foreign port".

It was originally brought into law to help protect the US shipbuilding industry. BTW.. it's outdated and imho serves no purpose today.

At any rate... if you miss the ship in a foreign port you could conceivably simply fly back to the United States. Though without assistance from the cruise agent in the port I'd bet it would be a bit a hassle, because you likely don't have a passport with you. So flying out of a country without a passport would have to be dealt with.

Now.. if you were sailing between only U.S. ports the ship can not simply let you pack and leave, or they'd be fined. If you're left behind because you missed the ship I would imagine that there's an exception to cover such incidence, as there would be for sick passengers debarking.

If you just packed up and left I have no doubt the cruise line would take action to have you pay the fine.

Thankfully I have no personal experience with this Maybe someone who's missed a ship will show up to tell us how it all got worked out.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 14th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Captain

good question, i had no idea that there could potentially be a problem.

When we contemplated going on the cruisemates medit. cruise next month, we were planning on hopping off the ship in Livorno and going to venice before heading to rome more leisurly. I'm assuming that since tis foriegn soil that wouldnt have been an issue. Correct? but starting a cruise in Tampa and hopping of the US virgin islands, would be a no no as would getting off in the Keys?

Old March 14th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
The essence of "the act" is that a ship that is not registered in the United States can not begin and end a cruise in a U.S. port without a stop at a "distant foreign port".

It was originally brought into law to help protect the US shipbuilding industry. BTW.. it's outdated and imho serves no purpose today.

At any rate... if you miss the ship in a foreign port you could conceivably simply fly back to the United States. Though without assistance from the cruise agent in the port I'd bet it would be a bit a hassle, because you likely don't have a passport with you. So flying out of a country without a passport would have to be dealt with.

Now.. if you were sailing between only U.S. ports the ship can not simply let you pack and leave, or they'd be fined. If you're left behind because you missed the ship I would imagine that there's an exception to cover such incidence, as there would be for sick passengers debarking.

If you just packed up and left I have no doubt the cruise line would take action to have you pay the fine.

Thankfully I have no personal experience with this Maybe someone who's missed a ship will show up to tell us how it all got worked out.
Thanks again Kuki...I see where you are coming from. But yes, maybe someone who has missed the ship before or even got off the ship, will be able to let us know what happens.

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009