Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Beginner

Default Smoking cigars on your balcony

If you have a cabin with a balcony can you sit and smoke a cigar on it?
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Yes, you can.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 15th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

Thanks Irish guess Harleyman will be quite and happy sitting out there smoking his cigar. I am cruising with him. Also Happy St Patty's Day to you.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 15th, 2008, 07:09 PM
First Mate

I have one cigar on the balc every cruise, day that we are at sea. Funny but all the cruises we have been on there is never anybody on either side that use their balconys very much. We are out every morn at daylight with coffee and late in the evening nobody around. Sometimes after we pull into port then somebody may come out.
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Smoke away, but be considerate and wait until the neighbors are not out there. I don't smoke, and I don't like it when others around my balcony smoke because it chases me in when I really should have to go in. I am Canadian and cigarettes here are not stinky, but American cigarettes, even brands you can buy here, are 10X stinkier than Canadian cigarettes.

Be bold, buy a Cuban and smoke it before you get home. Americans are not as fortunate and can't bring them back (Europeans/Canadians can as long as the flight is non-stop to where they are from).

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Admiral

We are very considerate people but we are spending alot of money to stay in that Cat 11 suite with that balcony and if he would like to have a cigar late in the evening he surely deserves it and I am not going to say to him he can't do so & if its allowed he should rightfully be allowed also. I do not smoke and it does not bother me so I am sure it will not bother anyone else. He smokes only one a night and they are rather expensive to say the least and do not smell bad at all. I would never ask anyone on either side of that suite what not to do as they have paid their hard earned money to enjoy that cruise and vacation just as we have.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Familiar Face

The people on either side of you have paid the same amount of money as well for their rooms. It is not fair to them to be run off of their balcony because someone wants to smoke their fairly expensive cigar. This has happened to us on several cruises. We couldn't enjoy the balcony because the guy next door lighting-up. This is another reason that smoking should not be allowed in any open air areas or staterooms. I say open-air because there is always that someone who smokes on the wrong side of the pool deck. Look what smoking on a balcony did to the Star Princess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 Holland America cruises
1 Celebrity cruise
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Admiral

How could I have guessed that this would bring out the anti-smokers.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Admiral

I am a non smoker and My fiance' will smoke his one cigar on the balcony and no it will not bother anyone on either side of us because like I said we are very considerate people and he does not blow smoke in anyones direction nor does he burn anything down. He is respectful as he is in my home and yes again he will smoke his one cigar.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Admiral

If you read my first post here all I asked you all is if it was allowed? I should have known it would open a can of worms. I am not asking you all for permission I am asking only if it is allowed. Before I set myself up for any more word attacks I will call Carnival when I have a question such as this. Thank You!

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:09 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
Be bold, buy a Cuban and smoke it before you get home. Americans are not as fortunate and can't bring them back (Europeans/Canadians can as long as the flight is non-stop to where they are from).
You appear to be misguided on this particular issue - if your cruise ends in an American port, you can not legally bring the cuban cigars onto American soil. If you do, you are violating the embargo that is in place.

If your comment was intended to refer to situation such as flying to/from Mexico, then you are absolutely correct. However, if you have to go through America at any point, Cuban cigars are banned.

On our upcoming Carnival Liberty cruise, I am going to see if I can buy a cuban or two in Half Moon Cay or Grand Turk to enjoy on board. I will, depending upon what our neighbors are like, enjoy that cigar on my balcony - our cabin is at the back of the ship, so any smoke should drift out behind the ship and not next door.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Ro:
Yes, you are allowed to smoke on your balcony. My husbands smokes and he will be smoking there. I don't smoke and never did.

I guess one good thing is...we have friends and family who are on both sides of us and no one has ever said anything. It is Open Air...so I may not have bothered them at all.

I do remember that my brother smoked in an inside cabin already. I don't remember that being a problem???? At least no one said anything then either.

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to MsShel330

Some people have health issues with smoking. I'm an asthmatic and smoke really bothers me. If the smoke drifts away from the balcony then fine as long as you bring an ashtray. I read an article a few years back where someone threw a butt off of their balcony and it blew back onto someone else's balcony and started a fire that killed a few people.

*Don't get me started on the Cuban cigar ban. I wanted to get a few cigars for a friend when I was in the Bahamas but I didn't want to get into trouble. If I buy a "Cuban" it will be from Ybor City in Tampa.*
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Familiar Face

If you people will go back and look, you will see that no one could explain how the fire started. It was then ASSUMED that it was a cigarette but no proof. There was ONE death and that was a heart attack.

Tragic? Yes. The fault of a smoker? The juries still out.
Old March 17th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Wow....this went from "Am I allowed to smoke a cigar on my balcony" to fires and death.

As I said, I don't smoke. My husband does. To have an ashtray on a balcony is not the answer. If what I am reading about the wind and tropical breezes on a balcony are true, then you can kiss your ashtray goodbye and all the ashes and butts. My husband always has a glass of water(not full) to use as an ashtray. After he is finished and we are ready to leave the room, he flushes it.

Do I like smoke? No, I don't like the way my hair and clothes smell. Do I let him know about this? Heck yeah....he is trying to stop and I do understand that it is very difficult.

Darlene
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:19 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro
If you read my first post here all I asked you all is if it was allowed? I should have known it would open a can of worms. I am not asking you all for permission I am asking only if it is allowed. Before I set myself up for any more word attacks I will call Carnival when I have a question such as this. Thank You!

YES YES YES you can smoke on your balcony....
As far as I know..
you can check on the carnival web site I think they tell
you the different places you can smoke a cigar...

Sammy 1954
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Captain

Apparently you can smoke on your balcony. I do not smoke, never have. I do have asthma and smoke allergies. After being sick for 9 months last year, my sensitivity to smoke and allergens seems to have become "super-sized." The smoke that someone has to endure on
"their paid for balcony" does not have to come from right next door. Depending on the wind, they could be right above or right below you and still have to endure the smoke.

Sorry, I don't mean to infringe on your rights as a smoker and know that you paid for your balcony, just as I did and you can do what you want on it as long as it is legal. I was constantly subjected to fowl cigar smoke from a balcony just below mine last year on a 12 day med and found out from our room steward that "yes, they can do this on their balcony."

So, I guess if I wanted to pour out a large amount of water on "my paid for balcony" I could do so. If the water were to drift down to the balcony below mine, as the cigar smoke drifts up to mine, so be it.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDWITCH 13
My husband always has a glass of water(not full) to use as an ashtray. After he is finished and we are ready to leave the room, he flushes it.
We bring our own ashtrays on board to use in our cabin. We always use the Bobken-style ashtrays in our vehicles, and we've found they work great on board. They are a self-extinguishing type of ashtray that consists of a small cup that has a top with a hole in it. You drop the lit cigarette in the hole and it goes out very quickly. Even the lingering smoke and ashtray smell is contained.
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjburd
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDWITCH 13
My husband always has a glass of water(not full) to use as an ashtray. After he is finished and we are ready to leave the room, he flushes it.
We bring our own ashtrays on board to use in our cabin. We always use the Bobken-style ashtrays in our vehicles, and we've found they work great on board. They are a self-extinguishing type of ashtray that consists of a small cup that has a top with a hole in it. You drop the lit cigarette in the hole and it goes out very quickly. Even the lingering smoke and ashtray smell is contained.
To a smoker, the use of this type of ashtray and/or the glass of water, seems like a very reasonable way of being considerate of the non-smoker, and to some extent, it is. However, as a non-smoker who is allergic to smoke, and has asthma, the smell of the smoke is not the main problem. Smokers just do not realize that the smell is still there, but most of all the allergen is still there, in the curtains, carpets, linens etc.

If someone is, say, highly allergic to peanuts and they consume a dish that is prepared with peanut oil, they don't see the peanut oil, nor do they smell it, but it is still there and they will have a violent reaction to it, just as those of us who are allergic to smoke and have athsma will have a reaction to left over smoke allergen. I have booked non-smoking hotel rooms, only to find that the previous guest had smoked in the room. If I am unable to change rooms, I will be sick for a good week after spending one night in that environment. The same would go for guests who are allergic to dogs/cats and a previous guest decides to bring their pet, because it is clean, housebroken, etc, etc, etc. The next guest is still subject to an allergic reaction to the pet dander in the room.

Again, I am not putting down smokers, nor their right to smoke, and I realize that it would be impossible for a smoker to go the full length of a cruise without a smoke. Just be considerate by using the designated smoking areas and I will avoid those areas, and we'll all have a great cruise.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Passenger

We have been on ships that have a special area - room like the card room or game room etc - for smoking cigars and pipes Is there something wrong with smoking in there instead of on the balcony ?

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Admiral

I don't think that there is an easy, correct or acceptable answer for this subject.

My daughter has asthma also. She has been hospitalized for it. One time it was for 13 days. Her major problem is the weather, cats, certain breeds of dogs, allergies to the outside and over excursion. She carries her inhaler with her at all times.

She is 31 and the mother if two young active boys. She sure can't tell them to stop because Mommy will have an asthma attack, or that they can't go to the park or visit someone.

I know this is very different from someone smoking or having pets in an area where someone who has this problem.

This is a subject that will always be an issue.
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Someone could be allergic to perfume which you smell all over the ship even in tight quarters do people complain about that to?

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:55 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro
Someone could be allergic to perfume which you smell all over the ship even in tight quarters do people complain about that to?
On our last cruise, my wife suddenly exited the elevator - a woman who reeked of perfume had stood next to her and she immediately recognized that she was not going to be able to stand it, so she got off.

The amazing thing is that the woman made a very rude comment about her getting off the elevator.

People do not realize the impact that certain smells can have on other people - physically or psychologically.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Oh, My, Yes I so agree about the strong perfume smell.

I always wonder if, both men and women with this one, aren't putting on so much because they are trying to cover up a smell? Like, "I haven't taken a shower so I will out on more perfume cologne."???? Or who know what else?

Just a thought....

Darlene
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old March 23rd, 2008, 01:37 PM
Familiar Face