CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   first time cruiser (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/348557-first-time-cruiser.html)

msshawn March 16th, 2008 12:28 AM

first time cruiser

this is my first time going on a ship and i'm really scared i'm scared of heights i can't swim i'm pretty sure i will have some motion sickness can someone please give me some good advice

cutiecat March 16th, 2008 02:26 AM

i don't know when you leave...but about 24 hours before you go start taking dramamine as directed on the bottle (if not allergic) so it's in your system when the boat starts rocking. or try a scopolamine patch (goes behind your ear like a small bandaid, and again, if not allergic)

don't look over the edge.

don't fall over.

the pools are shallow and the hot tubs are as well. but if unsure you can always lounge on the deck or on the beach. or find something to do onboard. as they say "at any one time there are a million ways to have fun."

i think you will be fine, but that does not mean i am discoursing your concern. remember it is still a ship although it feels like a small town, follow the safety guidelines, get some seasickness medicine and you should be ok.

there is an infirmary on board if you really need it.

i have never been disappointed on a cruise...i just came off my 6th. i hope you have the time of your life!
:D

bewitched March 16th, 2008 01:57 PM

I get car sick very easy, I used the patch and I did just fine with the motion. They even hand out bonine at the pursers desk if you need it.
As far as the heights just don't look over the side and you should be okay.
Try to keep food on your stomach that also helped and we tried to stay busy to keep our minds off of the rocking. It really is not that bad.

I think you will have a blast! :D Let us know how your trip was when you get back.

Happy cruising!! :D

skymaster March 16th, 2008 03:07 PM

Take bonine, or use the patch, or dramamine, and take it every day, whether you think you'll need it or not. Chances are you won't even know you're on a ship, but will feel like you're in a luxury hotel. I have no doubt that you'll have a great time aboard. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) gets motion sickness very easily, and can't swim, but after the first cruise, she too was hooked. We've taken well over 100 total cruises since her first one. Just relax, and enjoy.

Ken
"SKY"

ilovecruises22 March 16th, 2008 05:56 PM

If you feel sick try going to the pursers desk or go toone of there littel shops.. they should have some medicine or these braclets that supposedly work like magic :)

my grandma gets really sea sick and when we take her in two weeks i might have her try it and i'll get back to you about if it works :)

jakkkk March 16th, 2008 11:48 PM

Have a doctor (even from a "walk in clinic") write you a prescription for the "seasick patches". They work wonders. :D

parnett March 17th, 2008 04:48 AM

I can't swim either. :shock: I felt the same way awaiting my first cruise. All I could think about was the Titanic. I got over it fast once I was onboard. :D

LarAndShar March 17th, 2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovecruises22
my grandma gets really sea sick and when we take her in two weeks i might have her try it and i'll get back to you about if it works :)

if grandma is taking other medicines, make sure you check with the pharmacy to make sure what ever brand u are taking won't interfere with other medicines.... I'm also having my mom take it before we leave to check for side affects. (shes allergic to many meds...)
~S

BobMiller March 17th, 2008 05:39 PM

The deck railings are fairly high. You are not going to fall overboard unless you try or act very very foolishly.

Many of the beaches that you have to chose from are shallow for a long way out into the water. Try to find the ones that are in protected coves then you won't need to worry too much about deep water. Get a snorkel and mask, you may be able to ease into swimming by snorkeling the shallow waters.

If you can wear the patch put it on before the cruise as suggested, but also keep it on a day or two after the cruise. Some people who are motion sensitive sometimes feel the rocking or some vertigo for a while after the cruise and the patch actually helps that go away faster.

subtropic March 17th, 2008 06:50 PM

try the mind over matter approach-do not think too much about motion. There is really very little of it.

peery4 March 20th, 2008 04:48 PM

I am afraid of water, can't swim, afraid of heights and have anxiety over the stupidest things. On our 1st cruise I was extremely anxious about getting sea sick. I got a rx for the medication in the patch and started using it the day prior to leaving. I was fine. Relax and enjoy!

badknees March 20th, 2008 09:44 PM

I keep my "Relief Band" handy and use it if I start feeling the slightest bit funny. But I have rarely had to use it. It is the one that looks like a watch but has a little pulsing buzz to a spot on your wrist. I found mine on the internet for less than at the stores.
I tried Bonine but it made me sleepy. Probably Scopalomine, behind the ear patch, and any other motion sickness drugs will too. I think Bonine makes a non or less sleepy form of motion sickness pill.
Go and see. Have fun.

bewitched March 22nd, 2008 09:52 AM

The patch did not make me sleepy, but it sure gave me dry mouth. I was always carrying around a glass of tea. I did need it for about 3 days after the cruise. I did not know what to expect when everyone on here was talking about getting your land legs back. LOL

msshawn March 23rd, 2008 12:08 AM

to eveyone that has responed i thank you for all the info. i lost this website for a minute.

freckles1063 March 24th, 2008 02:11 PM

motion sickness

I took bonine every morning when I woke up, just in case. WE did have a couple of incidents where the ship had a lot more movement then I would have liked, but I never got sick. I always tried to take my mind off of it by keeping busy.

Carnival Imagination 03/15-03/20/08