Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
Passenger

Default Asking for seconds in the dining room?

A co-worker my husband works with went on a Carnival Cruise last year with his family and his son in law asked for a second piece of meat and was accommodated, then the next night my husbands coworker asked for seconds and they told him sorry they couldn't do that. Is there a reason why they would not have let him order seconds? I thought you could have as much as you wanted? He was terribly embarrassed and would not go back to the dining room after that so they just ate at the buffet for the rest of the cruise. We just want to avoid any embarrassement on our cruise, and what should we do if they do not allow us to order something extra if we want?
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Nope.. it makes no sense. Perhaps some sort of misunderstanding.

I've seen people order as many as 6 lobsters on "lobster night".
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:49 PM
Admiral

I can't imagine why they wouldn't serve him a second serving? On EVERY cruise, either the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) or I order seconds at least once, with no problem at all. In fact, on lobster night, I've seen people get seconds, thirds, and even fourths! There MUST be more to the story.
I've even told the waiter that I couldn't decide which I wanted, and had him come back with BOTH, even though I only ordered one or the other. In any case, I would not hesitate to order whatever I wanted, and however much I wanted. It should be NO PROBLEM.

Ken
"SKY"
Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Admiral

I have never asked for "seconds" but you are certainly allowed to order as much food as you would like with the initial order which is what I would suggest you do. It is very common for people to order 2 entrees or multiple items from the starter or salad selections. Perhaps because the plates are already made up containing the meat and vegetables the request for just a second piece of meat created a misunderstanding or came at an awkward time. Do not hesitate to order as much as you want on your initial order. You will not be refused. If you still want something else by all means ask.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Passenger

Thank you all for your input. Maybe he waited until he was finished before he asked for seconds, I'm not really sure. But we will not be afraid to ask for a second entre if we have trouble choosing between 2 selections I won't feel awkward asking for 2 just so we can try them.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Passenger

We have cruised 15 times and have never been denied any addition servings. Did they just run out of what he wanted ? I can tell you my husband has consumed 6 lobster tails and he was offered MORE.

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I usually order whatever I want the first time around...it usually includes 2-3 appetizers (no salad) and 1-2 entrees. My waiter on the Destiny found our table highly amusing as we were three girls and all did this
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

You can also order surf and turf on lobster night, and have it served together, if you like both. My husband does this all the time..

I am so sorry your friend missed out dining the rest of the week in the dining room. Whenever there is an issue, go see the maitre'd. Things can be sorted out, and no one need be embarrassed.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Familiar Face

I have never heard of anyone being refused multiple dinners. It seems very common for people to order extra.
Carnival Jubilee 88
Carnival Holiday 89
Sovereign of the Seas 91
Carnival Celebration 92
Big Red Boat 93
Explorer of the Seas 03
Carnival Victory 04
Carnival Legend 05
Jewel of the Seas 06
Carnival Triumph 06
Carnival Miracle 07
Carnival Victory 07
Carnival Miracle 08
Carnival Miracle 09
Carnival Liberty 10
Celebrity Reflection 14
Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:06 PM
Passenger

we have to agree with everyone that you should not be afraid to order seconds or more because we had our server bring us both items when we couldnt decide between one or the other.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband orders 2 all the time. It may have been a misunderstanding. I know that you get the whole second order - veg and all. My husband usually only wants the meat, but they can't just do that.
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old March 23rd, 2008, 01:24 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to jMCk

holly smokes... they said no? me and 4 other guys went to baja on a cruise and ordered so much food they gave us a table for 8 lol we did that ever meal..
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
First Mate

I believe that it has to do with the amount of time taken to process the request, this takes time from their table duties. My sister ordered seconds on the Fantasy and was told that they would honor her request this once but in the future order it at the onset. The waited explained his reasoning as I stated above. Since then we just order multiple entrees , etc , in the beginning and have never been refused.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Passenger

I wonder if some of the posters have hit the nail on the head - asking for a extra helping of meat may have been the sticking point. It's either the whole entree or nothing.

Two guys at our table were in a competitive mode all week and one night each ordered five entress. I am not kidding. They didn't order at the outset - this was a work in progress. Our wait staff did not blink an eye. Everyone was laughing and watching with awe.

My daughter did not like one entree that she ordered and she was initially too embarressed to complain, but I was like, whoa, we bought the ship here, you can order something else. They were very, very, very accomodating to her and to all of us. I hope I never run into those weird wait staff that are miserly!