Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dining room and children

My kids are pretty good when it comes to nice meals. The're 5,8,10 years old. i would like to use the dining room each night of our cruise but I don't want the possible whining about certain foods. I know that Disney Cruises will let the kids order things like burgers, chicken nuggets and other kid friendly foods in the dining room. Does Carnival do this also? It would be nice to be able to cater a little to their palate while also have the atmosphere of the dining room. That way everyone is happy!
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Your kids will be just fine. Carnival does have a children's menu (at least they did) but burgers and fries are always an option at dinner. Enjoy
Truimph May 2007
Fascination (1st time w/DD) May 2008
Pride (with DD & DS) November 2009
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:43 PM
First Mate

Carnival will cater to the kids in the formal dining room. They do have a kids menu. On our last cruise our 5 year old grand daughter lived on chicken nuggets and cheese pizza in the dining room. So don't worry be happy because the kids will for sure be happy. Remember don't let the kids have all the fun.

Read and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Captain

On our family cruise in April last year, my 5 grandsons came along. We ate in the dining room every night. My 6 year old GS ordered pizza every single night!! The waiter just laughed and they tried to dress up the plate each night to make it look different from the night before!! One night he even brought him a huge plate of french fries to " try" which he shared with everyone else. One of them ordered duck one night and the waiter brought a burger out too just in case he didn't like it (which he didn't!) Don't worry, they will be fine. A lot of the dining room staff have children back home are are happy to see the kids.

AKcruiser
Old March 25th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Captain

My son is a horribly picky eater, but on our cruise in january he ate freaking pasta with tiny whole squid in a butter sauce!

He tried lots of new things, and they always had salmon on the menu too, which he loves. Let them try something new and order a hamburger just incase
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Reminds me of...

....when my nephew was 6 por 7. He was a picky eater. One day my brother in law called and asked how I got him to eat sushi. I just told him he wasn't allowed to have any since it was adult food. Next thing you know he was asking to try "just one piece." He is 16 now and eats anything put in front of him.
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:26 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

We ordered something from the kids menu, as well as something off the regular menu.

It wasn't long before she was ordering off the adult menu herself.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

I guess all the kids eat at the early dinner time as we always choose the 8pm slot and never once have I seen a kid there.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Admiral

My Grandaughter has been on 4 cruises, and she will be 4 on April 28! Her parents have always taken her int he dining room, and she orders off both menus. When she was smaller, if she would get "fussy," my son would simply get up and walk her out of the dining room for a few minutes, as let her attention shift somewhere else. Never a problem. They usually opt for the late dining time, so my DIL doesn't feel rushed each evening, getting ready for dinner.

No worries! Everyone will have a great time!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Admiral

I have to echo what everyone else says, across the board the wait staff really does cater to the kids and they really do enjoy seeing them in the dining room. I have only run into issues once on a Carnival ship and after a quick discussion with the Maitre D that problem was immediately resolved.
They really do have a good kid's menu, which appealled to my son who is the picky eater, while dd likes to order steak from the adult menu every night. So rest assured that dnner time will not be a hassle. It will be easy and relaxing.
My kiddos are 5 and 8. they started cruising at ages 2 and 4 and this Sunday they will take their 8th cruise. One thing that is understood from the get go, is the ship is a "NO WHINING ZONE" I set this expectation back when they were 2 and 4. The deal is as long as I have two happy kids we will all keep having a great time, but as soon as I hear whining it is nap time. This has worked well to ensure we all have a great cruise.
The kid's club hosts dinners for the kid's some nights, so don't be surprised if they try to blow you off for dinner to go eat with their buddies.
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:24 AM
First Mate

yes, if i rember they have a kids menu

also if your kids just want fries they can order that of the regular menu and then get a desert

Have a fun time on Carnival!!!!!

"Cruises will create some of the best memories of your life"
Future Cruises-
Coral Princess
Past Cruises-
Carnival Liberty Spring Break 2008
Carnival Legend October 2007
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
I have to echo what everyone else says, across the board the wait staff really does cater to the kids and they really do enjoy seeing them in the dining room. I have only run into issues once on a Carnival ship and after a quick discussion with the Maitre D that problem was immediately resolved.
They really do have a good kid's menu, which appealled to my son who is the picky eater, while dd likes to order steak from the adult menu every night. So rest assured that dnner time will not be a hassle. It will be easy and relaxing.
My kiddos are 5 and 8. they started cruising at ages 2 and 4 and this Sunday they will take their 8th cruise. One thing that is understood from the get go, is the ship is a "NO WHINING ZONE" I set this expectation back when they were 2 and 4. The deal is as long as I have two happy kids we will all keep having a great time, but as soon as I hear whining it is nap time. This has worked well to ensure we all have a great cruise.
The kid's club hosts dinners for the kid's some nights, so don't be surprised if they try to blow you off for dinner to go eat with their buddies.
Beenie- I LOVE the idea of a no whine zone!!! I'll absolutely use that one on the trip.