Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I opologize for the rude comment I made but I was a little agravated which is no excuse. I still just dont understand why you can pay hard earned money for a trip
Apology accepted. And I certainly want you to know that everyone's opinion is welcome. Disagreement opens up a discussion, which can always only be helpful in bringing more information to light.

This is particularly helpful in "unusual situations" allowing people to learn how these sitations are dealt with. It prepares them, and also gives them the information necessary to make a decision as to if they even want to book a cruise, considering the risks they take.

The thing to note is that the vast majority of cruises take place with no such incidents, and sail their planned itineraries. But there are times and incidents where they're disrupted; such as this, or hurricanes in an area, etc.

I think it helps for people to know how these things are dealt with, and then make their decisions accordingly.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I just heard about this whole incident yesterday as I was on an isolated yacht-like cruise last week.

I defintely understand the disappointment of all passengers who miss a port. After all, people plan their cruise vacations far in advance, and look forward to seeing everything.

And I can accept the fact that the protestors believe it isn't the fact that the ship made the right decision in making a medical emergency stop that bothers them, it is that they feel they are entitled to more compensation from the cruise line for having missed the port.

I have seen cases where cruise ships miss a port due to equipment failure, such as a bad engine slowing the ship down enough that it can only make two of three scheduled ports. In THAT case I would agree with the protestors that the cruise line owes the passengers some compensation.

But in this case, I have to say that after having looked into to it, I have to back up the cruise line's decision. They gave each passenger $25 as a return on port fees.

I am looking at an online cruise booking engine right now, and first of all it says in big red letters before you even move on to page after the itinerary description:

Cruise Itinerary Notice: Cruise itineraries are subject to change without notice. Please verify Ports, Dates, and Times with the Cruiseline directly on ALL bookings before the sailing.

Plus, the total port fees for this cruise, for three ports, only come to $45.33 per person. Based on that, it appears the cruise line more than refunded what you paid for that one port.

As to whether the cruise line made more money having you on board, I have heard this said before, but I tend to doubt it. They lost $25 per person, had to put out a whole lot more food, and they refunded all of the shore excursion money. Lots of people take shore excursions in Jamaica because the locals are not very friendly there.

In any case, it is must be understood by passnegers that the cruise contract does not guarantee any ports. I remember a letter from a lady who wanted a refund because the cruise diverted her cruise to different ports due to a hurricane. She was happy she got to see what she did, but wanted her money back because she didn't see St Thomas or St Martin.

I just had to ask her, "would you really want the ship to sail in 200 mph winds to an island experiencing a hurricane just because that was your scheduled itinerary?" I mean, given that choice, would you do it?

What if the cruise line had polled all the passengers on Conquest ahead of time and asked, "We have a crewmember who will probably die if we don't turn around right now, we will refund your $25 port fees for Jamaica. What do you want us to do?" Would you have voted for "give us more money or else let her die?" I doubt it.

A ship is like a representative democracy where everyone has vested the captain with responsibility to make all decisions regarding the safety of each person onboard.

That is a system that works. And when you are at sea, you trust the captain to make the best decision.

What always amazes me is that people don't seem to realize that being on a ship in the middle of nowhere is a real situation - that 360-degree ocean horizon isn't Disneyland-like scenery, you really are miles from nowhere while on a cruise ship.

Danger (as in being in high seas and being in the middle of nowhere) are part of the experience of cruising. I enjoy that part of it. If I wanted a faux experience where nothing could go wrong I wouldn't go on a cruise ship, I would go to Disneyland.
Old April 8th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Paul good explaination. I only disagree with one thing you said.
"Danger (as in being in high seas and being in the middle of nowhere) are part of the experience of cruising. I enjoy that part of it. If I wanted a faux experience where nothing could go wrong I wouldn't go on a cruise ship, I would go to Disneyland."
I disagree even in Disneyland the unexpected and dangerous could happen that is just a part of life. How you deal with it is the issue for most of us. Two People can be standing side by side one has a terminal disease the other is healthy that doesn't mean the health person will live longer. Their boat could capsize and they could drown on the "It's a Small World" ride in Disneyland. Tomorrow is promised to no one so enjoy all the todays you can and don't worry about missing a port enjoy the adventure.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 8th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Passenger

Just wondering..what do people consider a FAIR compensation for a missed port of call (on a 7-day cruise)?
Apology only or combined with other things? $25, $50, $100, $200 Room Credit? Port fee refund? Discounted next cruise? Full/partial refund on current cruise? Free drinks?.....
Carnival Glory 07/04
Carnival Glory 12/04
Carnival Valor 12/05
Carnival Miracle 08/06
Carnival Fascination 10/06
Carnival Triumph 06/07
Carnival Inspiration 11/07
Carnival Destiny 08/08
Carnival Inspiration 10/09
Carnival Inspiration 10/10
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The main thing I am trying to impart is that a cruise ship is not a "floating hotel" nor it is a "ferry" to get you to certain ports o call.

To sail on a ship is an adventure untl itself, it is more than just a conveyance. A cruise ship is a complicated vessel which makes it possible for thousands of people to thrive thousands of miles out to sea.

While I fully understand the desire of people to see specific ports, it should be accepted than when at sea, whether you are passenger or crew, is is still one for all and all for one. If your attitude is that your only reason for being there is to catered to, and any failure by the cruise line to do that means your vacation is ruined, then you are missing the whole point of what is most beautiful about going to sea. It is the spirit of the crew and passengers creating a community at sea - living the good life and sharing the whole experience with one another.

As for what I consider to be "fair" compensation. Unfortunately, the nature of travel by air or sea is that everyone is on the same vessel. The airlines don't give credits for ANYTHING and they do far more egregious things than the cruise lines ever do.

As far as what compensation is fair, I think it really depends on the reason why the ship missed a port. For a med-evac, I wouldn't blame the cruise line if they didn't give anything. and no it doesn't matter whether it is a passenger or crew because the decision is the same either way.

The only time a cruise line should give a substantial compensation is when it is technical difficulties (engine problems) that slow a ship down. The weather and other acts of God are not their fault.

I think $25 per person was fair because it related to the port fees for the missed port. Refund the passengers the money they paid to go there because they didn't get to go there.

But I also prsonally don't understand why the cruise lines do not give vouchers for discounts or shipboard credit for future cruises. If I owned the cruise lines, that would be something I would throw in every time. Why wouldn't I want my loyal passengers to be rewarded on a future cruise for what they endured on this one? Especially if for some passengers it makes the difference between whether they wpuld cruise with the line again or not.

Sometimes I think the cruise lines get over-confident, thinking they can always fill their ships no matter what. God forbid, if that should ever change, the cruise lines the generate the most good will now will be the most handsomely rewarded if times ever get really tough.
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

On the Grand Princess two years ago we missed Grand Cayman and they substituted Playa del Carmen. We had the same number of port calls; however, they also gave us $50 OBC per person which I thought was fantastic. It also worked very well for the ship.

BTW-they later made that the schedule so once it was those later pax received no credits as it was then considered the regular itinerary.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Admiral

We are all human. good as well as evil.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner
I, too, hope the passenger or crewmemeber will be ok. In my opinion, I think the captain did the right thing, and from what I have seen the cruise ship captains have a very tough job in making these decisions and do it very well!

Some of the stories here about people's lack of compassion doesn't surprise me. I can't see how a quick return to port after the ship just pulled out to allow a sick passenger to be sent to a hospital by ambulance "ruins" a cruise, but it does take all kinds doesn't it?

I have spent 18 years in the fire service, and I have seen many examples of people's lack of compassion for others. I've had people drive over and break my hose lines layed out on the street because they couldn't just go around the block to get home. I even had one guy drive his car through a closed down accident scene at high speed, sending firemen and paramedics scrambling to not get hit, because he was late for a business meeting! (The cops caught him and he went to jail by the way)

As for the lawyers, I'm sure they will sue anyway and probably get a settlement. There is a real cottage industry of lawyers in southern Florida that make a living sueing the cruise industry.

I'm still amazed by the story of the family sueing Carnival because their daughter overdosed and died while onboard with illegal drugs she and her boyfriend smuggled onboard! Somehow Carinval was at fault? Whatever, only in America can people sue over coffee that is too hot!
I have been on two Civil case juries. We were very careful about just awarding money. In the first case the plaintiff got nothing. In the second case she got about 20-30 thousand dollars. I would have given her more. In this case the county did not reasonable accomodate an employee who had a stroke. She had a entry level position (a lot of these types of positions) and she needed a part time morning schedule to attend physical therpy.

Blueliner sometimes people impede the firemen on accident my MIL heard the sirens and pulled over to the right as is proper. The problem

She pulled into the driveway of the firehouse without realizing it and she was blocking the fire engine from coming out. She would have never done that on purpose.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:44 PM
First Mate

On another thread about this topic, one poster complained about the "boilerplate" contract and about how everybody has to "take it or leave it". How could it be otherwise? Everybody is on the same ship! The phrase "We are all in the same boat." comes to mind. What part of that simple fact do these people not understand? I guess some people are just here to make the rest of us feel smarter than we really are.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old May 11th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Plus, the total port fees for this cruise, for three ports, only come to $45.33 per person. Based on that, it appears the cruise line more than refunded what you paid for that one port.
Sounds to me you are looking at the taxes and fees, which are not the port charges. Port charges have been included in the cruise fare every since there was a class action law suit claiming not including them in the price was confusing to folks who expected the price of the cruise to be much less.