CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Ok, I just read about Funship dollars....What are they? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/349154-ok-i-just-read-about-funship-dollars-what-they.html)

Katmom March 28th, 2008 06:56 PM

Ok, I just read about Funship dollars....What are they?

I'm bad at saving money, and I think that would be perfect for me to save money before a cruise!

How do I get them?

Ro March 28th, 2008 08:43 PM

Kat buying fun dollars worked for me I bought a 25.00 dollar one each paycheck over a years time and now for our cruise on April 26 my fiance' and I each have 200.00 worth of on board credit. I also purchased 180.00 in drink coupons and 30.00 photo coupons so all of our expenses including tips are fully paid for. It takes a load off my budget. I then used an Avon Counting coin jar and save all my coins and I have the night before the cruise hotel room paid for in full all set aside and fifty a night extra spending money all by saving it this way. I can't afford big bills so I budget this way for my cruises and even paid for a Cat 11 suite by paying alittle down each pay period so it never hurt my pocket. It took me a year to pay it off that way but it works for me. You would be surprised how much you can save this way so you have less bills at the end of your cruise.

Katmom March 28th, 2008 09:49 PM

So Ro,,,

Where do you get these? How do you buy drink coupons ahead of time? I asked Carnival about the pop card and buying them ahead of time, but they said you could not buy them until you are on the ship.

So, is there a website you buy these at? OR do you call somewhere.

I never even thought about paying a little at a time on the cruise.

Thanks for all of the ideas! We just took a ten day Princess cruise, so there will be kind of a tight budget for the next one.

Sammy1954 March 28th, 2008 10:21 PM

You can buy fun ship dollars to use as credit on your sign and sail card
so you dont have a bill or much of one when you cruise.
You can order them on carnivals web site on the right side of the site
it will say gifts click there and you will find them, or call the number on the site
and order them. You can also order bar credits for drinking if you wish.
Both are nice to have. You have to have a cruise booked I think to buy
them.
I always have atleast one cruise a year booked a year ahead so I have lots of time to buy them.
you can get them in different amounts.
Then I turn them in at the pursers office the first day of the cruise.

Sammy

Ro March 28th, 2008 11:31 PM

Kat sign on like Sammy said to the Carnival web site click on gifts and just scroll down each section. The soda coupons can be bought on there for four sodas. You have to wait to go on the ship to purchase the soda all you want card. I have never purchased one so maybe someone else can inform you on that. The Fun Dollars are purchased under gift certificates you click on the dollar amount you want to buy $25 50 100. If you put your address on the information section they mail a really nice certificate in an envelope to your home but then you either have to send them in certified mail to Miami to Carnival to get credit or do what Sammy does turn them in at the Pursuers desk. I have only done that once and did not like the lenght of time I waited at the desk for them to call the Bon Voyage dept back in Miami to make sure they are real & have been paid for. I like to know they got applied so I certify mail them only for peace of mind. Lately its getting closer to our cruise so I just put On Board Credit on the info and do not put the address so they apply it directly only because time is running out to get them mailed to me. I think you have up to three weeks to purchase them before your cruise. You do have to have a cruise purchased or plan on doing so in one years time as they do have an expiration date on them. You can also receive them as gifts. Everything is on the Carnival Cruise lines web site under gifts.

cruisecouple March 29th, 2008 02:49 AM

I bought two of those Avon coin counting jars - one for my granddaughter and one me at my desk. I love it. No withdrawals until you have a purpose for using it! It also keeps someone from "borrowing" change from my jar..... It will be my spending money for our tentative cruise in October.....we're booked but debating whether to use our timeshare instead....

Ro March 29th, 2008 09:54 AM

Cruise couple where in NJ are you from? Been a Jersey girl my whole life. Those Avon jars are just the best for saving your coins. I am so addicted to it that each day I come home from work I run and put the extra change in it. I am just amazed how much it counts and holds. I am up to 100.00 and not to the top yet. I also got into the habit of folding a 5 or ten dollar bill and sliding it through the counter top so it gets buried in with the coins. The decision on the time share or cruise would be a hard one for me to make if I had to. I guess I would go for the one that is paid for and would cost less.

Floridanamaw March 29th, 2008 10:19 AM

I bought some of the funship dollars last year and had them applied toward our sign and sail card. I think I bought 200.00, so we had that much credit on our card when we checked in. I'll do it again for the next cruise.

bewitched March 29th, 2008 09:37 PM

We have 2 cruises booked within the next year and my daughters wedding to pay for. We found that buying a set amount out of each paycheck is very helpful. We don't notice it in the wallet so we don't miss it. We do have quite the stash built up. I also have one of the funship sail away drink cups I use that for change then when it gets full we use it for more fun ship dollars. :D