Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to christitunes
Default First cruise, Ensenada...stay on ship or go ashore?

From what I've read about Ensenada, there does not seem to be much that interests me except the wine tour (I'm not much of a shopper, and the beaches in Cabo look nicer). One thing that I definitely want to do is get some nice spa services. Does anybody know if it's worth it (i.e. CHEAPER ) to get off the ship and find a nice spa in Ensenada or stay onboard and take advantages of port specials? I'll be on the Elation May 31. I've found some Wiki info on spa prices but if anybody has a link to recent Capers I would much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Christi
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I've never been to Ensenada, but if it is your first cruise, I would at least hop off and look around. You can book your excursions through Carnival (uncheap) or you can find a taxi to take you to the beach or something (usually super cheap). Taxi's are usually right there at the pier, so it shouldn't be hard to find one.

Good luck in choosing and I hope you have a blast!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old March 30th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Passenger

Thanks...I've read that it's walking distance anyway.
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Familiar Face

We went on Carnival's Elation the beginning of March and it went to Cabo and Ensenada. We had a grand time in Ensenada. The shops were fun to poke around in and the fish tacos and margaritas couldn't be beat. There is a van that will take you into town if you don't want to walk for $2 and $1 for the return trip. They tell you a little about the town and try to sell you a tour or two. Once we got off the van we walked around the town. It felt perfectly safe and every one was very friendly. Some others we talked to went on the tours that the van service offered and had a great time too. At least hop off the ship, if nothing else, to say you have been there but I think if you give it a chance, you'll have a grand time just like we did.
Star Princess-Alaska 2008
Star Princess-Alaska (again) 2009
HAL Oosterdam - New Year's 2009 into 2010
Carnival Spirit-Baja Birthday Cruise 2010
NCL Spirit - W Caribbean Bday Cruise Oct 2011
Island Princess -Alaska to Denali 2012
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2013
2014 Booked - Azamara Barcelona to Monte
Carlo
2015 Booked - Carnival Dream to Caribbean

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:05 AM
Passenger

Thanks, Tracy! Glad to hear you had a good time on that cruise. I've read good reviews of the ship and am really excited to be going on it! Do you have any other info to share that I may benefit from? I think I'll probably do the snuba thing in Cabo, but I hear the water isn't that warm...
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:57 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to jmurillo1986

The Elation has "specials" everyday for their spa services. But if you would like a real bargain, wait until the last day before the cruise is over. That's when all spa services are like half off the regular prices. I personally wouldn't go to Ensenada for any spa type of services. Unless of course you have got a recommendation from some one you know who has already been there. Anyway, you will have a great time on the Elation. It's the best!
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:27 PM
Familiar Face

Probably right on the spa stuff. Kind of if-y on that . Do that on the boat but do go into Ensenada and have some of their delicious fish tacos and mango margaritas. Have a great time.
Star Princess-Alaska 2008
Star Princess-Alaska (again) 2009
HAL Oosterdam - New Year's 2009 into 2010
Carnival Spirit-Baja Birthday Cruise 2010
NCL Spirit - W Caribbean Bday Cruise Oct 2011
Island Princess -Alaska to Denali 2012
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2013
2014 Booked - Azamara Barcelona to Monte
Carlo
2015 Booked - Carnival Dream to Caribbean

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Admiral

My sister and I got off in Ensenada just to say we did...
Now, my sister enjoys shopping, I don't.
However, that being said, I actually had a pretty good time. we bought some souviners and leather purses and some really cool sunglasses. 8) I loved all the street vender items, but some venders were a little pushy....
We even had a authentic mexican meal... funny the owner was american who moved to mexico to run the resturant.
We are glad we did it once, but other than getting off the go into the gift shop at the dock, we probably won't go again.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:41 AM
Passenger

Thanks so much for all your responses! Can't wait...only 58 more days, ; guess I'm just a bit over eager.
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Beginner

Hi,

Shopping was mentioned -- is there an area that has high end watches? Perhaps like an area with Diamonds International, etc? I am looking for a rolex or Cartier brand and I am failing in my search for info on line. Can anyone help?