Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Passenger

Default Need help with Port/Air transportation

I am hoping someone with a little more experience can help us with this. We are in Kansas City and cruising from Miami on a Monday, returning on Saturday. Believe it or not I cannot find a direct flight to Miami without stops AND the earliest I can get in is around 100-1:30. SO, our next choice is FLL, which we can get in to FLL by noon. My question is, will this give us enough time to get to the port? We are on a tight schedule and really unable to fly in a day early, like we have in the past. Also, any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I am not one to cut it close, but we may not have a choice. We are traveling at the end of October. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2008, 05:34 PM
First Mate

If there are no delays on your flight, you should be OK. You're going to either get the Carnival Shuttle there at the airport or grab a Taxi which will run you about $70 to Miami.

Couldn't you get on one of the flights that arrives in FLL at 11:42 am? I see Delta has one and Midwest gets in at noon.

You must be on board 90 minutes prior to departure. So you are cutting it rather close.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old March 30th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

If you are going to fly into FLL, I highly recommend the Carnival transfer. At least after you get off the plane, they are responsible for getting you to the ship. If you take a taxi and there are traffic problems and you are delayed getting to the ship, you might be SOOL.

Any chance you can take a red eye from KC to Miami? I know you would have to fly overnight and arrive very early in the AM, but it would give you a much bigger margin for errors and delays.
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Passenger

We are taking a 6 year old so the red eye may not be feasible. If we do decide to go a day early does anyone have any good recommendations for a reasonably price hotel - either in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami?
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:43 PM
First Mate

I would say your best bet is to have all the correct times for the Miami and Fort Lauderdale flights then call Carnival and see if with the times you arrive if you can get transfers from Carnival and if you can your best
bet it to go with their transfers.

I would think thats your best bet...

Or if you booked with a travel agent have them take care of it for you.
They can call carnival and set it up for you.

Sammy
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:18 AM
Passenger

Despite the fact that you say you cannot fly in a day early, I think you should what whatever it takes to try to make that happen.

Perhaps in the olden days, you could arrive on the same day, but with air travel its just too risky. I recently cruised out of Miami and a flight from Newark to Miami took almost 4 hours. Had we not left a day eary, we would have barely made it to the ship on time---and I would have been sweating it out the whole time. I've seen too many people spend the night sleeping on the floor in airports. And even if you book through Carnival, and something goes wrong, they won't hold the ship. They'll just give you your money back---which is probably not what you want.

Try to book with an airline that has a hub in your city. This way if something goes wrong, you have more options for alternate flights.
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:11 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

In Fort Lauderdale, and a friend of mine has these two suggestions: the LaQuinta, Hollywood, Fl, or the Hampton Inn, Plantation, Fl. We've stayed at both and they were fine. Each offers a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruise port (in Fort Lauderdale.)

We found them to be very reasonably priced, too! They're both clean, offer a continental breakfast and are close to shopping areas. You can always arrange for a van or cab to pick you up in the morning to take you to Miami.

In Miami, I recommend the Holiday Inn Bayside. If you can get it on Hotwire or Priceline all the better. VERY close to the cruise port and right across from Bayside Market Place.
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:40 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the great info -- seems like I am having a harder time getting this cruise organized than previous ones.... but thanks for all the tips!!