Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:36 PM
Captain

Default Can anyone tell me about cruises from Jacksonville

My Finance' said we could do a short cruise out of Florida in November or December as part of a vacation we are planning to do which includes stopping in Georgia, so I can meet her family there. In looking at Carnivals Website I see they do four and five daycruises to The Bahamas on The Fasination.

Can anyone tell me if this ship has been or will be upgraded by then with the new Evolutions of Fun Features and does or will it have Seaside Theater?

Also has any sailed from Jacksonville? What can you tell me about the port, hotels & things to do there.

Thanks
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Can't tell you much about that ship, but I have done two cruises out of JaxPort and have another one scheduled in less than two weeks.

I prefer the 5 day cruise that goes to Nassau and Key West. (Not a big fan of Freeport). I find it perfect for a quick 'cheap' getaway.

I don't think there are any hotels with a view of the port. But others may know of some. We stay at the Best Western - Jacksonville Airport. It's right off the interstate at the Jacksonville Airport exit. They provide a shuttle to the cruise and pick you up afterwards. they also have a pretty good breakfast with fresh waffles. Just down the street, there is a nice outlet mall in case you forgot anything.

The port is pretty easy to get to. You get back on I-95 South and then take the exit for highway 9a. Best I can remember, it's the next exit. You follow that around and then follow the signs. You can get more details at http://www.jaxport.com/index.cfm. The parking is in a secured area outside (no covered parking garage) and costs $12 per night. If you drive to the port, you drop off your luggage, park your car, and then walk to the entrance And the line usually moves pretty quick. We were eating lunch in the Lido before 12:00 both times we sailed.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Admiral

The Fascination is the same class ship as the Elation. We really enjoyed the size of the Elation. There is a deck off the back of the ship just outside the Lido buffet that is great to sit at and eat or just relax at night. I sure did miss that on the Glory. Being smaller you might feel movement more than on the larger ships. According to Carnival web site it has the evolution of fun upgrades. The cruises from Jacksonville are 5 night cruise going to Key West and Nassau with 2 sea days. Sounds good for a quick 5 night cruise.

Carnival legend November 2009
Carnival Glory October 2007
Carnival Elation November 2006
Old April 1st, 2008, 04:39 PM
Captain

Thanks for info so far:

Having been on the Ecstasy, Imagination, and Sensation, I am famliar with the "old" Fantasy class ships and while I prefered the Miracle somewhat over these ships there was nothing wrong with them. I've had some good times on them I do recall feeling more motion on them. I just figure this is as good an excuse as any to check out the upgrades.

Anyway since we will be driving down from NYC I want to limit are expense as much as possible in that area with gas over $3/gallon so having as much info abourt the port, hotels etc is not only desirable these days its a necessity.

Thanks Again.
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Old April 1st, 2008, 04:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

I don't think its true that Fascination has had the Evolutions of Fun yet. I was pretty certain it was only Imagination and Inspiration as of right now. But, it did have quite the overhaul last year so it should be looking fresh! No seaside theatre but plenty to do for sure.

I cruised Celebration on the 4 night to Freeport and Nassau from JAX. I'd say I didn't care for Freeport enough to return to it. The 5 night will give you that little extra time on the ship and Key West is a fantastic port! I'm going back in Aug and can't wait![/i]
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan
I don't think its true that Fascination has had the Evolutions of Fun yet. I was pretty certain it was only Imagination and Inspiration as of right now. But, it did have quite the overhaul last year so it should be looking fresh! No seaside theatre but plenty to do for sure.
I foundd a website with information on the recent upgrade to Fascination. http://www.carnival.com/cms/static_t...s/fascination/

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Beginner

I happen to live in Jacksonville and manage a hotel at the airport. I would suggest staying at the airport area as there are many hotel options and very convient to I-95. You can stay at a hotel there and for $15 round trip take a shuttle over to the port. Jacksonville as noted will be losing the current ship this summer and getting the new one in September.

There are a couple of hotels closer to the port but I dont think you will get any advantages staying there. If you dont mind riding a little further into Jacksonville there is a very nice Homewood Suites in the St Johns Towncenter. It is a very nice outdoor mall with high end shops and excellent restaurants (Maginano's, PF Changs, etc). This is on the other side of the port but not to far down.

We are about to leave out of Tampa on a cruise to Cozumel tomorrow! Have a great time.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotelGM
I happen to live in Jacksonville and manage a hotel at the airport. I would suggest staying at the airport area as there are many hotel options and very convient to I-95. You can stay at a hotel there and for $15 round trip take a shuttle over to the port. Jacksonville as noted will be losing the current ship this summer and getting the new one in September.

There are a couple of hotels closer to the port but I dont think you will get any advantages staying there. If you dont mind riding a little further into Jacksonville there is a very nice Homewood Suites in the St Johns Towncenter. It is a very nice outdoor mall with high end shops and excellent restaurants (Maginano's, PF Changs, etc). This is on the other side of the port but not to far down.

We are about to leave out of Tampa on a cruise to Cozumel tomorrow! Have a great time.
Thanks you have a great time too. Tampa is possibility too if we were to decide to do Western Cruise at point.
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07