Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Yes another one - just back from first cruise, my thoughts

Well, the wife and I are back now from our first cruise aboard the Conquest. I will say I had a great time overall, and would definately go back again. I do have some criticisms, but nothing is perfect and we had a great time. My thoughts:

Cruise director- Wee Jimmy was awesome, I loved him, and was glad to have him. A weird but (usually) effective sense of humor and a great little ball of fun.

Cuisine - I was happy with the food overall, though it wasn't outstanding. Some dishes were excellently carried out, a few were rather poorly done. In particular the breakfasts were quite bad apart from the fresh fruit and the omelete stations. Multiple chocolate lovers tried the chocolate melting cake, on various nights of the cruise, and all universally thought it a terrible dish. The Italian attempts at cuisine were also almost universally poor. However, I would rate the food overall at about a 6.5 out of 10, and did enjoy the overall experience.

Entertainment - The wife and I both hated the Vegas style shows, but maybe that thing just isn't our style. We love the theater, but Vegas style may just not suit us. The magician we had one night was also horrendous. Other than that the entertainment, from the evening shows to the awesome piano bar were quite good.

Ports -
Jamaica I had a great time in Jamaica. I might not want to go back and spend a week, but we had an awesome time on our excursion. We climbed up Dunns River Falls, and then went and actually swam with the dolphins - easily one of the coolest things I've ever done. Loved our time here, though of the three ports this water (though beautiful) was the least wonderful.

Grand Cayman It was neat, though slightly disapointing swimming with the stingrays. The beach we went to after though was the most beautiful beach I've ever been on, and we had a great time - even if the price of lunch almost made me choke.

Cozumel The waters were beautiful here beyond a doubt. For our excursion we actually ferried over to Playa del Carmen and took a Jeep excursion (I got to drive which was fun), over to some caverns we were able to explore and then go snorkeling in some underground natural spring lakes in the caverns. Very, very cool. Afterwards another drive took us to a secluded beach for a GREAT Mexican lunch and fun in the sand. I loved our time here, and our guide for this tour, Andres, was unbelievable.

Other thoughts - We did have a great time, and as I said would definately go again. However, the cruise was really made by our dinner table mates. We had an awesome table, and a couple of the friends we made there we fully expect to become long-term friends we will keep in touch with. A couple of the times that we went to the seated breakfast we had some terrible table mates and Jeanette (my wife) and I would comment how different a trip it would have been if that had been our dinner table guests. The friends we made at dinner made the trip all the more special.

Overall it was one of the more memorable (not the most - my two trips through Israel/Jordan still rank tops) vacations I have yet taken, and given the chance we will definately cruise some more.

If more thoughts come to me later I will share more then, but I guess that's it for now.

Carnival Conquest April 2008
Carnival Conquest April 2009

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Welcome home, and I'm glad to see another cruise, is in your future, perhaps to different ports. Since the Conquest will soon do the eastern, it will be easy for you to do...I'm glad you had a nice time.

On our Conquest trip, although I didn't have the CMC, it got raves, and for us the food was delicious enough for us, to not go to the supper club.
Sadly sometimes the food consistency is off. I'm glad you didn't go hungry:):):)

Meeting people onboard does add so much to the ambience of the cruise, I am glad to see you had such good company. Now you need to book a Cruisemates cruise and meet the gang:) Welcome home..newbie no more;)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 7th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the info ... we're doing this one on the 19th.
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I didn't mind the one Vegas show, Formidible, but the second one lost me 20 minutes into it. I am wondering if they had Deja the illusionist on the ship or someone else. I don't typcially go for magic or illusionist shows but I sat through that one, barely....

As for the food, I found the food to be excellent, but then again, I don't go out and eat very often. We only managed to get to the dining room the first two days--alas, three people at a table for four and two of the three didn't want to go back but favoured the (groan) buffet instead....I don't mind buffets, but for lunch yes, not dinner....Could have changed tables, but my mom and niece wanted me to come with them, so I did.....

Glad you had a good time!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old April 8th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I didn't mind the one Vegas show, Formidible, but the second one lost me 20 minutes into it. I am wondering if they had Deja the illusionist on the ship or someone else. I don't typcially go for magic or illusionist shows but I sat through that one, barely....
I enjoy Formidible, it really fits the theme of the ship. The can-can is my favorite. I would see the show each sailing. Deja is another story, once is too much for her-IMHO. 8)

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Admiral

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I love all of the Vegas Style shows we've seen on all of the Carnival ships. They are our absolute favorite activity of the entire cruise. (except of course, when I am performing in either the talent show, or the Legends Show. 8) ) I'm sure this is why Carnival has so many activities aboard. It's impossible to please all of the people, all of the time.
Glad you had a good cruise overall,,,,and trust me,,,,they only get better.

Ken
"Sky"
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Welcome back Todd,
Glad to hear you did enjoy your first cruise and plan on more. Thats usually how it is, although cruising isn't for everyone.

Liked reading about your expierence..

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

The more I read about the Conquest the more we cann't wait to go. June Baby..
2006 Carnival Pride / Mexican Riviera
2008 Carnival Conquest / Western Caribbean
2009 Sapphire Princess / Mexican Riv

Need some cruise help?
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes the magician was Deja, and she was really bad. There was a guy who did a Motown review thought that was outstanding.

RPerini, I'm sure you will have an awesome time, the Conquest was an outstanding ship and the crew and the waitstaff we had were wonderful. If you don't mind I think the wife and I will hide in your luggage and go again 8)

Old April 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Oh, and just to make me feel really old (and ABSOLUTELY shocked), we are at dinner the night after the Motown review show that they had. We are all talking about how much we enjoyed it. One couple at the table (they were early 20's, relatively newly married) speak up, and he says "I hated it, I've never heard ANY of those songs in my life!"

Now, let me get this strait, I really loved this couple, and they live near us. My wife and I hope we become long term friends, and plan on inviting them over for dinner soon. But oh ... my ... gosh ... I was completely taken aback by that comment. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor, I mean who doesn't know the Motown classics? Am I THAT old???

Old April 9th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I love all of the Vegas Style shows we've seen on all of the Carnival ships. They are our absolute favorite activity of the entire cruise. (except of course, when I am performing in either the talent show, or the Legends Show. 8) ) I'm sure this is why Carnival has so many activities aboard. It's impossible to please all of the people, all of the time.
Glad you had a good cruise overall,,,,and trust me,,,,they only get better.

Ken
"Sky"
Skysmaster you made me curious I was thinking for trying to get into the Legends show I'm not sure I have the talent or courage. What did you sing? I went to karaoke once during the tryouts of legends and you had to pick a person to sing to. Do you find out the song before hand? I don't like trying to karaoke a song I don't know the words to.

Houston Todd congrats on your first cruise and review. I have always wanted to try the swimming with the dolphins some day I will have to. I loved the melting chocolate cake, I was surprised you didn't like it. However, I never cruised on the Conquest may they need a new pastry chef. I agree tablemates have a lot to do with the cruise experience I have had both good and bad tablemates. I think that is why I like the large tables because bad tablemates get lost in the crowd. Our last cruise we had a fun tablemate. She was a blast.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 9th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

katlady,
you do choose which Legend you want to try out for, and then you pick one of their songs to sing. I tried out for Madonna and sang "Papa Don't Preach". I am more of a country girl, but they only had Madonna, Gloria Estefan, Brittany Spears (a legend?) or Aretha Franklin for us girls to choose from. Anyway, just pick a song of theirs and give it your best shot! It was cool being in the show as they give you a DVD of it and a cast picture - both for FREE!

Terri