Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Passenger

Default Doesnt it suck when...

Doesnt it suck when you first get on board and you happen to check your folio just to find out you are already in the hole $140 for gratuities? Let me use the ship first before you hit me up for more money. I understand they want to make sure they get the money before your credit card is maxed out but it always seems to me thats all they care about. Bill me on a daily basis instead of the entire week. I have been on your ship 10 minutes and I already owe more money.....
Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Captain

It does suck to see it right away. But I understand that in the past a lot of people left without tipping and so I can see their motivation. I guess the only solution is not to look at the bill until at least midweek : )
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Captain

Default Re: Doesnt it suck when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzin4fun
Doesnt it suck when you first get on board and you happen to check your folio just to find out you are already in the hole $140 for gratuities? Let me use the ship first before you hit me up for more money. I understand they want to make sure they get the money before your credit card is maxed out but it always seems to me thats all they care about. Bill me on a daily basis instead of the entire week. I have been on your ship 10 minutes and I already owe more money.....
I agree-socking the whole thing on right away is, too say the least, a money grab. Princess does it on a daily basis but at least waits until day 2 to start. And Celebrity has the courtesy to NOT bill you automatically unless you request them to do so. Which is the correct thing to do-it is a GRATUITY after all. Tipping is an OPTION-not a surcharge.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Isn't it sad that a tip has become a mandatory thing, and no longer used as originally intended, to reward someone for their level of service. I understand the people who work on the ships get paid little by the cruise lines and depend on their tips, but, still, it should at least be billed at the end of the cruise.
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Admiral

I guess it has changed recently. It wasn't that way back in January when we did the Conquest.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Admiral

They were automatically added to my S&S on a Nov 1007 Conquest cruise. And a number of Carnival cruises prior.

Many people apparently don't know they are supposed to tip so I suspect that is why they are automatically added. You can certainly adjust them if you think a larger or smaller tip is more appropriate. Just stop by the purser's desk.

As it is, I still discover people who don't realize it is customary to tip for room service - it is an extra service provided that isn't included in the standard tips.
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Mine were prepaid with the booking. I like that !
A suggestion.... just charge 70$ per person more for cruise to start with and say "tipping not expected".

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old April 9th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Passenger

The auto tipping of the bar staff sucks too. I would rather tip by the drink and give them a fair gratuity then have them walk slowly back. I tried to adjust a drink tip once on my S/S and they wouldnt do it. Think its time for a better cruise line for me. TIP --- To Insure Promptness... What has happened to that?
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Re: Doesnt it suck when...

Quote:
You can always prepay them. I personally wouldn't, but if that particular thing does bother you so much- then prepay it and your charges will not seem as high.

Mike-yes I've had them charged 1st day on Conquest each time I've sailed her.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
The auto tipping of the bar staff sucks too. I would rather tip by the drink and give them a fair gratuity then have them walk slowly back. I tried to adjust a drink tip once on my S/S and they wouldnt do it. Think its time for a better cruise line for me. TIP --- To Insure Promptness... What has happened to that?
You can always hand the server extra cash on top of the standard, automatic tip. Trust me, they will remember you and will find you - you won't have to search them out.

Especially useful at times like Captain's Party and Past Guest Party. They will remember you and what you drink.
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:28 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

one thing no one has mentioned is that you have the right to ask that the tip be credited back due to poor service or to have the gratuity increased due to great service. We had a great steward one cruise, whereas our co-cruisers had a terrible one. Need I say that that steward may have learned a lesson or possibly not had his contract renewed...alternatively, give your steward or whoever takes the best care of your cabin a personal cash gratuity so that that person knows how much he/she was appreciated.

Old April 10th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Passenger

The collection of the $70 up front doesn't bother me. I always give our room steward a extra tip when we first get to our room. For some unkown reason I continue to get great service. I wonder why? :o :o
Carnival Glory 07/04
Carnival Glory 12/04
Carnival Valor 12/05
Carnival Miracle 08/06
Carnival Fascination 10/06
Carnival Triumph 06/07
Carnival Inspiration 11/07
Carnival Destiny 08/08
Carnival Inspiration 10/09
Carnival Inspiration 10/10
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It doesn't bother me at all..I am on a cruise, doing what I want to do, when I want to do it. Not cooking, cleaning or making a bed..

Someone else is doing it all for me...for that I am gladly tipping. It doesn't make a difference if the tip is at the top or botton of the column.

I have and will again, if the need arises, adjust a tip either, up or down.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM
First Mate

I don't even look at my bill till the day before they want to kick me off the ship and see how much of a good time I had. Sometimes it was better then other times. Boy I have fun. 8)
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Passenger

Quick Question: As I understand we are allowed to adjust the tips near the end of the cruise. If we do this do they give you a hard time? I believe that people should get tips if they do their job but if someone doesnt I want it to reflect in the tip also. Just wondering....
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Just go to the pursers office to discuss lowering, and no one will give you a hard time. I did it once for a steward, and once for a waiter. I don't go into "great" detail, though, if I am raising the tip, I make sure they know how pleased I was with that service.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 10th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Admiral

I love doing the pre-paid tips... no worries.
I just considered it a part of the cruise cost, just as I would lf the would please let me pre-pay for my soda card...

I know I can always give more or less if need be & of course a little extra for my room service etc....
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old May 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Captain

I love to pre pay for as much of my trip as possible. So I also like pre paid gratuities. I will also leave extra at the end of my trip for those who earn it if I have it. I had an experience where we should have reduced our tips but we didn't. After all why should someone get extra for barely doing their job. But most of the time extra gets left.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Passenger

That is why I NEVER check to bill......I let my husband have that honor!
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:19 PM
First Mate

I never look at the folio on the 1st day. On a 7 day cruise I do give my room steward $20 cash right up front. I also let them know that I do reward great service with great tips. For some reason that really seems to work out great.

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Admiral

Snooze... I guess I was having so much fun and was so distracted that I didn't see it coming.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

I always pre pay the tips. No worries at all. I know you tip more or less if you like even after pre paying. I have always been lucky and been satisfied with the service. I think the crew all work really hard, alot of them get no breaks and are still friendly.

I just realized though on the last cruise we went on that the Matre'd Tip was not included in prepaid tips. Opp's. I never see him anyways,

03/30/2009 ~ Carnival Ecstasy
09/14/2008 ~ Carnival Legend
03/2008 Carnival Victory
09/2007 Carnival Elation
06/2007 Carnival Liberty
09/2006 Carnival Ectasy
12/2004 Carnival Conquest
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Admiral

My last cruise I had a nice experience. It was a 14 day cruise so tips of two people equaled $280. However, my fuel surcharge was refunded $140 and I received a $200 ship credit for booking. So my folio had a credit of $60 whoo hoo I'll take a drink of the day. I had really great service so the dining room staff and cabin steward did get a little extra.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Passenger

ilike the auto tip on my card so i dont to have wait to end of the cruise.i hated spending my last day at sea in a long line trying to get cash so i can do the tips. i also tip my faveorte sever or bartender extra at the end for making my cruise enjoyble.
Old June 1st, 2008, 10:56 AM
First Mate

Iam a firm believer that a tip should be earned. Yea, Yea its more convienient for automatic tipping but i think the level of service has gone done since the automatic tip. I know I can dispute the tips but who wants to spend vacation time in the pursers desk line? NOT I
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"