Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Default To Snorkel or not to Snorkel....

My sister and I are both physically challenged (overweight) with bad knees. That being said, we both can swim and enjoy it very much.
The question I have is....
during the Snorkeling experience does anyone know of any reason why it would be difficult for us or anyone overweight to do it?
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Passenger

You should not have trouble with the snorkeling at all. I think I am much heavier than you (if you check out my blog...you can see what I look like...and some of our snorkeling photos)...and it was fine.

Now...with the knees...the only thing to be "concerned" about is the ladder to get in and out of the water from the boats. A few years ago we went on the Goff's Cay snorkel out of Belize...and we had to jump from the boat to get into the water. That was a little daunting for someone my size...but it was fine. Now, getting back on was a little challenging with that narrow ladder, but it was fine.

Where are you thinking about snorkeling?

Have a fabulous time!
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

the ladders off the boat may be a bit of trouble, but we had someone in Barbados with health issues and a stiff knee and our snorkel tour operator was more than accomodating for her. it shouldn't be any problem for you and will be great for your knees (hardly any stress). i hope you have a good time!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Since my party boat disappered, I was trying to find another excursion, something fun, yet not too dificult. I don't know, I think snorkeling might be like finding nemo.... all kinds of beautiful things... at least that's what I heard...
oh, Puerta vallarte mexico (I'm a babbler... sometimes I forget what the question was)

Old April 17th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Yeoman

Yes, be very careful with those ladders! A large wave made our ladder suddenly buckle at the hinge just as I was stepping onto the last section of it. I twisted my right knee and almost 10 months later I still am having some trouble with it.
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Ferangi-I am no size 6, not even a 12! and I had creaky knees due to showing off a little too much at the gym when I worked out. I do not recommend pressing 160-200lbs of weight with only one leg, it will only come back to haunt you later when your knees start giving you problem, like mine....

I tried snorkling, and frankly, I suck at it. It won't stop me from trying again this September!!!

Happy sailing!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Passenger

I had never snorkeled before cruising...and now I want to get my scuba certification. It is great fun...and the underwater world is absolutely beautiful.

The easiest snorkel would be to go in from a beach...or to find out what some of your other options are...and then post and ask what the ladders are like for those that have done them before.
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Captain

Hey my friend. I love to snorkle. Like the last person said. It is easier from a beach. You walk gradually into the water and ease into it. You know how large I am and I have a challenge with the ladders. You will love it

Hugs
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Admiral

It depends on what kind of snorkel boat you are on...last year we went on a snorkel tour on a large catamaran in Tortola and it was easy getting off, you can jump from the catamaran or climb down the ladder which was very sturdy and had a railing but when it was time to return, I had a hard time pulling myself up on that first step (and I'm thin), but a very nice stranger (male) pushed my butt up while I was pulling and I popped right out of the water, ha! ha! I thanked him and the nice stranger sat down on the deck with me to chat and enjoy some great rum drinks.

Snorkeling in Tortola was SPECTACULAR, I always snorkel on excursions and hopefully there will always be a kindly stranger waiting to give me a little boost up the ladder.
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Beginner

Should not be a problem at all if you stay near the shore. Do not purchase an excursion to do this, as you can usually rent the gear from any beach you visit for 15 dollars/day. A few people we spoke to paid for the excursion and not only did they pay way too much, they were taken to a dangerous area with a strong current even the most fit could not handle. Have fun!
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Captain

I am mobility impaired and the only problem I ever had snokeling was with the ladder climbing up the ship being too narrow. On the other hand the next day I took the "Jolly Rogers" booze cruise out of Barbados and had no problems with the wide ladder.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe323
I am mobility impaired and the only problem I ever had snokeling was with the ladder climbing up the ship being too narrow. On the other hand the next day I took the "Jolly Rogers" booze cruise out of Barbados and had no problems with the wide ladder.
"booze cruise" huh? sounds like my kinda cruise, too bad I won't be in Bardados...

Old May 28th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
Quote:
"booze cruise" huh? sounds like my kinda cruise, too bad I won't be in Bardados...
There are simliar cruises on other Islands. Check the Short Ex listings
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
Quote:
There are simliar cruises on other Islands. Check the Short Ex listings
Yeah, I've been looking, what I really wanted was my "Pirate Party Boat" but it's not available right now. Maybe when I get to the ship, but by then, I'm hoping to have other plans... I want to pay for as much ahead of time as possible.

Old May 29th, 2008, 12:02 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

personally no - as long as you can swim and are comfortable in water over your head, go for it!

Old May 29th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffca
Hey my friend. I love to snorkle. Like the last person said. It is easier from a beach. You walk gradually into the water and ease into it. You know how large I am and I have a challenge with the ladders. You will love it

Hugs
Personally I find it better from a boat because walking on a sandy beach is a problem for me. I have trouble keeping my balance

But to each his own enjoy !!!
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffca

Hugs
Personally I find it better from a boat because walking on a sandy beach is a problem for me. I have trouble keeping my balance

But to each his own enjoy !!!
Actually, If I can do the ladders, I would prefer to. I can't walk in the sand very well.

Old May 29th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Captain

you are right and if the beach is very soft sand it is harder to walk in. Hope you find a way to do it. It is so beautiful.

:-)
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Passenger

Snorkel! Try it! Please! I'm not a skinny chicken. I love snorkelling. If you like swimming, you'll be fine. I think you should be ok on a boat. Most snorkel boat tours I've done, the crew is very accommadating -- they are still working for a nice tip at the end. But, I've never done a tour in Mexico yet.

I think a boat might be a good way to try it first -- as long as you are ok with the possibility of jumping in where it is deep water (well, depends on what "deep" means to each his own) such as 75/100 feet maybe. Depends on tour boat/location. That freaks some people out (then you swim over to the reef, where it isn't so deep). But, having a boat tour might make some people feel more comfortable (they generally, if reputable, have training and watch you and help you if you get into trouble).

We're looking to do our first cruise to the same place and will try snorkeling in PV or cabo -- or both. We've snorkelled all over Hawaii and it's my favorite thing to do. I hope you try it and enjoy it