Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: which type of room do you prefer?
Suite 10 18.52%
Balcony 41 75.93%
ocean view 3 5.56%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Trying a balcony room for the first time.

I was wondering how many of you started out cruising in a interior room or ocean view and then moved up to a balcony room in later cruises? What was your impressions?

I will be trying a balcony for the first time on the Carnival Triumph....are they nice rooms?
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Passenger

The Triumph was our 2nd. cruise. I don't think we ever had an inside stateroom. We did have one oceanview room but once we booked a balcony, we were hooked. Although small compared to a hotel room, Carnival's rooms are a little bigger, I think than RCCL. Our upcoming is our 6th. cruise and as far as I am concerned, it's at least a balcony or nothing - regardless of the cost.
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

You won't regret it! I started as an interior room - then an oceanview then a balcony. As i get older, I use the balcony more and more. I ONLY go with an OV if I go with friends who can't afford the difference. But, I still have a great time! Go and enjoy!
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Balcony cabins all the way. I like my own private time away from everything and the balcony is the perfect place to go when you just want to be alone. It's also a great place to be when leaving port (if you are facing the pier/port). The suites or wrap around balconies are even sweeter because you have more room!

You will need to be prepared to book balcony cabins from now on because once you have one, you will NOT go back to an inside or oceanview without having to think long and hard! Perhaps that is why if/when I go on any of the Fantasy class I will book a Cat 11 or 12 cabin only.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Captain

We started out with an ocean-view. Then went to a balcony. This last cruise we had a 1-A with bunk beds. Won't do the 1-A again. Hated the bunk beds. Our rule now is 5 day cruises an interior, or ocean-view is fine. Anything longer than 5 days will require a Balcony.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old April 20th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Admiral

I started with an inside, went to an ocean view and now have done a balcony. My November cruise is an ocean view. It makes no difference to me as we only use the room on occassion.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Admiral

I said the same thing - but the older I get - the more I use the balcony and if I have a balcony - the more I am in my room enjoying it!
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:22 PM
First Mate

We started with Interior rooms first. Then we went to Ocean View. On one cruise our Ocean View got upgraded to a Balcony. After that we were hooked. If the ship has a Balcony we are booking it. If Ocean View is the best on the ship that's what we will take. No more Interior rooms for us.

Read and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Captain

The Mardi Gras had three choices: Inside, one porthole, or two portholes.
The only two cabins on the ship where the beds were not bolted down in the twin position were two "king" cabins, inside near the bow. All the other cabins had twins. So we started inside, moved to a porthole, then to oceanview (picture window), next a balcony, up to an extended rear balcony, now try to secure the corner wraparound balcony anytime we can. (cat 9A on carnival). Anytime the ship is not in port, I try to be on the balcony. I love the sea air, deep blue sea, full moon, sun sets and sunrise. It is also a great place to entertain shipmates, as we generally travel with a group of 40 or so. It is very exciting launching champagne corks out into the ocean (commit them to the deep). We must finish one bottle before we can launch the next cork, kinda sets the tone for the whole cruise.
Now what was your question ???

Joemo
Mardi Gras 1986 / 1987, Emerald Seas 1988, Jubilee 1989 / 2002, Sunward II 1991, Sea Breeze 1993, Seaward 1995, Celebration 1998, Norwegian Sea 2000, Destiny 2002 /2008, Rhapsody OS 2003, Conquest 2004 / 2005 / 2008, Radiance OS 2004, Pride Of America 2006, Triumph 2007 / 2012 (x2), Grandeur OS 2008, Holiday 2009, Fantasy 2009, Splendor 2010, Elation 2010, Victory 2011
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We started out as ocean view passengers, and we have enjoyed balconys, and, would prefer them. But if circumstances dictated, I would have no compunction, about taking an ocean view...Just to sail, makes us happy:)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 20th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Admiral

I guess thats why I started out in an inside cabin -- I sailed the Mardi Gras too. Do you have the stats on the mardi gras? tonnage, etc? Its amazing - totally amazing how large these ships have grown!
Old April 20th, 2008, 10:42 PM
First Mate

First cruise was a suite, then a balcony, then an ocean view, and last but not least an atrium on the Explorer of the Seas,the other three have all been balconies.Without a doubt the Balconies are the best choice not as expensive as a suite but you do have the privacy to view the sea without interuption by anyone and still be outside in the sea air. I believe you will enjoy it very much.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Very first cruise was an interior cabin. Booked a balcony after that. now we enjoy the suites. The extra space is really nice.
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Our first cruise was a wraparound corner aft..It has ruined me for anything else..I would much rather pay extra$$$ for comfort than save and be uncomfortable..

Kelly

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:39 PM
First Mate

I started with a inside the first cruise then tried a window and
then went to a balcony room and cant go back.
Balcony rooms are great. I am sure a suite is very nice for the
extra room but not worth the difference in price. Not in the room
that much except to sit out on the balcony in the am early and
late at night. The rest of the day on the run. Dont want to miss
a thing going on.

Have fun you will enjoy the balcony.

sammy 1954
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Trying a balcony room for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireba11
I was wondering how many of you started out cruising in a interior room or ocean view and then moved up to a balcony room in later cruises? What was your impressions?

I will be trying a balcony for the first time on the Carnival Triumph....are they nice rooms?

My family and I have been on several crusises and always got oceanview. This time we decide to get a balcony. We are also crusing on the Carnival Triumph June 22-29, 2008. When are you cruising?
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My first cruise was in a suite (not Carnival) and that spoiled me. I did do a 14 day cruise in an inside cabin and while the itinerary was fantastic I began to develop "Inside Cabin Psychosis" after three or four days.

The cabin began to get smaller and smaller and I wanted fresh air and some real daylight in the cabin.

It just shows that if the itinerary is good you can handle anything.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 26th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Trying a balcony room for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawana
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireba11

My family and I have been on several crusises and always got oceanview. This time we decide to get a balcony. We are also crusing on the Carnival Triumph June 22-29, 2008. When are you cruising?
We are cruising Feb 22 2009 on the Triumph. Please let me know how you like the Balconies on the Triumph.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old April 26th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryI
We started out with an ocean-view. Then went to a balcony. This last cruise we had a 1-A with bunk beds. Won't do the 1-A again. Hated the bunk beds. Our rule now is 5 day cruises an interior, or ocean-view is fine. Anything longer than 5 days will require a Balcony.
Gary
I havent tried a 1-A with bunks yet, we might. Iv heard the upper bunk has not as good of a mattress as the lower bunk. Id be the one stuck there so hoping that is not true.

Didnt answer the survery since it doesnt take price into consideration. Of course Id PREFER a suite lol, but too practical. Ill probably continue to do what seems like the best buy.
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Captain

We just booked the Conquest for Feb.1st. Yep went with a Balcony. We were able to get 7439. That is one of the two with the long balcony. It was more than what we spent in the past. The itinerary is less port intensive than others. This is why I picked a balcony. We will be spending more time on the ship. That is my excuse for booking anyway. It will be different. For what we payed for this cruise, we could have done the Ecstasy 3 times in the 1-A.
Oh Well it will be fun.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old April 26th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

I too started in an inside cabin. Next several cruises was oceanviews. If I do a oceanview cabin, it will be Cat. 6a or higher. No 5a 's for me. (Portholes )
Then we booked a balcony. That hooked me Now on cruises that I don't have a balcony, I miss it Our next cruise is a Balcony.

Happy Sailing to all ;
david

Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
I said the same thing - but the older I get - the more I use the balcony and if I have a balcony - the more I am in my room enjoying it!
I agree with you. We also use the balocny a lot more than we used to. It is so nice to just sit out there with coffee or adrink and watch the world go by!

HI David, me too, first couple oftimes inside cabins, then we hit the big time with a large window, I would sit in the window on the ledge to watch the sea. Then we had a great deal on a balcony, that was it for us.