CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   upgrade fairy (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/350249-upgrade-fairy.html)

mlschef April 21st, 2008 10:13 PM

upgrade fairy

Has anyone been visited by the upgrade fairy lately? We booked in early November and had kind of hoped to see her before our June 1 cruise on the Valor.
In previous cruises, when we booked thru a T/A, the upgrade seemed automatic. This time we went thru Carnival with a group of four couples. I was hoping that since two of the couples had never cruised that might at least get them an upgrade.

Do upgrades happen at this point in the booking? or is it possible to be suprised at check in?

KACORPARENTS April 22nd, 2008 08:25 AM

Don't feel bad...

We booked in Jan for our May 5 Imagination cruise and I think someone shot the Angel...LOL We have 8 people going also and 4 are 1st time cruisers and 2 of them senior's and 1 firefighter... and we thought maybe, just maybe some sort of upgrade/senior discount/firefighter discount/onboard credit....nothing. We have tried calling on a regular basis to see if anything is available and all we are told is that the cruise now costs more than we got it for. Oh well , we still will have fun just probably wont spend as much on board as we would have if we felt we were being wined and dined a little...LOL

susierphillips April 23rd, 2008 08:19 AM

You never know. I found out three days before we cruised in December when I checked the Carnival website to make sure all was in order. We received an upgrade from a balcony on Lido to a suite on Empress. No charge.
Nice. It's sweet when it happens. I didn't expect it at all and thought there was a mistake. :o

CA Cruiser April 23rd, 2008 08:34 AM

While it didn't happen with Carnival, just know not all upgrades are good ones. I told this story last year. We were upgraded from a mini-suite to a suite. Sounded wonderful with great perks but the suite turned out be be the first one in the front of the ship so we couldn't use the balcony on cruise days because of the strong winds. Then we found out the next morning we were directly under the treadmill in the gym so every morning at 7 am, a herd a horses were above us. We made the best of the situation and had a wonderful cruise.

Dannyboy April 26th, 2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
While it didn't happen with Carnival, just know not all upgrades are good ones. I told this story last year. We were upgraded from a mini-suite to a suite. Sounded wonderful with great perks but the suite turned out be be the first one in the front of the ship so we couldn't use the balcony on cruise days because of the strong winds. Then we found out the next morning we were directly under the treadmill in the gym so every morning at 7 am, a herd a horses were above us. We made the best of the situation and had a wonderful cruise.

I was on a Princess ship, The same problem. The suite was at the forward section. The wind was so strong, you could not use the veranda when the ship was moving. It really sucked.

misguidedangel April 26th, 2008 07:26 PM

I have a question about the upgrade fairy. I always book guarantee, but the free cruise I won is a "we'll pick it for you" cabin and I had no say in it other than asking for a certain area. I was fortunate to get a cabin exaclty where I wanted it. However, I am curious whether I could be upgraded further, like to a Cat 11 suite *BG* (I know, "In your dreams").

I am crossing my finger the fair visits me, alas, I won't be disappointed if she doesn't!!!!!

Pamulla April 28th, 2008 03:10 PM

What do you mean by upgrade? We booked through CCL website and just lately I found a cheaper price on another travel site. I called CCL about it and they adjusted my fare and gave me an OBC.
If you check the other travel sites, you can see if the cruise is sold out, booked or has cabins like yours and what the price is.