Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
Beginner

Default BEST TIME TO BOOK A CRUISE??

Hi All,

I'm new here & was planning to take the family on a cruise this August 08. Should I book now or wait a little longer to see if prices go down . I was told to either book over a year in advance OR wait til the last minute.
I'm just afraid if I wait it will be sold out. Was planning on taking the Elation on August 4th to Mexico.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Passenger

You will get mixed replies to this question. Some like to book early because there are lower prices some like to book late and take advantage of the sales that pop up. I book when I decide I want to go on a cruise and pick the date I want to go and If you keep an eye on it or keep in touch with your Travel Agent or Personal Vacation Planner you should be able to get it adjusted lower if the price does drop.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I would say BOOK NOW! Time is a wastin if you want to get the cat you want...if airfare is an issue, you need to looki nto that too. August is right around the corner, so call a good cruise expert, asap!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Yes, now is the time. August will be here before you know it. As was stated don't risk the airfare either.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

The best time to book is when you are ready. I book based on price. I could have waited and booked my September cruise much later, but then I would have paid $350 MORE than I did by booking it in November. The sales are good because great deals can be had, but as someone mentioned, airfare could be more and balance out the total cost. If you live near or driving distace to port, lucky you!!!!!! I am Canadian, therefore, flying to Miami isn't cheap or easy. I found the best deal for flights with United at $750-800 US per person (add 3-5% for bank exchange rate).

I'd book now to get the best deal and a decent cabin choice....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the information. I live in northern california so the air fare isn't too bad to San Diego.
I have one more question

Would I be better off going thru a travel agent like AAA or directly thru the carnival website?

Thanks
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie66
Thanks for the information. I live in northern california so the air fare isn't too bad to San Diego.
I have one more question

Would I be better off going thru a travel agent like AAA or directly thru the carnival website?

Thanks
Iv heard mixed reviews on AAA? Do they discount? I cant remember why folks had complained about AAA, might be nothing. I use a major warehouse who discounts, but now has a $25 pp cancel fee. Since you are so close to the cruise date, you will get hit by cancelling this close anyway, so maybe a TA fee wouldnt matter to you.

Just keep in mind a TA cannot advertise a lower price, but they can give you a lower price on the phone. I wouldnt book with a TA unless the perks or lower price made it worth while. Id book directly thru Carnival as its easier to deal with if the price drops to get a OBC.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Every time AAA gave me a quote, it was always the highest quote I got:( Why not try some of the advertisers on this website.......

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Beginner

ok, I've been doing some research & found a website (that was listed on this site) called cruiseone.com.

I could save around $110.00 per adult plus $60.00 per kid (2 adults & 2 kids)

Has anyone ever heard of this site & are they reputable? Also, if I book with them, can I book my excursions with Carnival?

THanks
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

I am looking at that site now. That IS cheaper that my oceanview guarantee when I went through carnival directly. Anyone have any suggestions on going through this site or call carnival direct about the rate differences for atleast some type of OBC?

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old April 24th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Admiral

I'll be darned. I was really looking thru the prices on this cruiseone site and their rates were appx 80.00 cheaper that my guarantee rate. I do realize that they are located in the eastern time zone and most companies run their jobs for mainframe systems,database updates, etc after the midnight hour. That has to be what has just happened. When trying to book at the cheaper rate and pick a room, I wasted too much time contemplating on what to do. Before midnight I COULD HAVE gotten the cheap rate now that the clock passed midnight I CAN NOT get the cheaper rate. They raised their rates right before my eyes!!!! :evil:

Old April 24th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseNOID
I'll be darned. I was really looking thru the prices on this cruiseone site and their rates were appx 80.00 cheaper that my guarantee rate. I do realize that they are located in the eastern time zone and most companies run their jobs for mainframe systems,database updates, etc after the midnight hour. That has to be what has just happened. When trying to book at the cheaper rate and pick a room, I wasted too much time contemplating on what to do. Before midnight I COULD HAVE gotten the cheap rate now that the clock passed midnight I CAN NOT get the cheaper rate. They raised their rates right before my eyes!!!! :evil:
I dont know if it will make you feel better or not, but one site that does major advertising, when you advertise their OV rate, its actually the rate for a 5A, which is cheaper than a OV guarantee or a 6A.

Im not sure what price you were seeing when you said a OV was cheaper than your guarantee, if you didnt click thru and see what they offered for that price, who knows. Sometimes on the particular site Im talking about, the 5A is so cheap because its actually a free upgrade from a inside category.

You have to actually look at what they offer before deciding one site is cheaper sometimes its not what you think it is.
Old April 24th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Hello flowers! I got my OV GAR at 469 pp with total at 1080 2 people on 8/4 out of Miami to Cozumel. Their rate ended up being 400 deck 1, 430 deck 2, 460 3, 490 4. Around 1145pm I was just going to book deck 2 at 430 and got to the step of my cabin number choice. Now I could not see the total price on the next screen without making the step of entering all the standard billing information. So, I started second guessing and called my DS and then POOF it ended up being about 1220am and it went to different rates when starting over to book it. This time I could see the total price and not have to enter the standard billing information. Go figure.

Old April 25th, 2008, 10:27 AM
First Mate

We found out for military price, BOOK IT AS as you can that price does go away. For a 9A book it as soon as you see it. We are always booking a year out. Best prices and cabins.
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Admiral

In my opinion, the best time to buy a cruise is as soon as you get home from your last one.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseNOID
Hello flowers! I got my OV GAR at 469 pp with total at 1080 2 people on 8/4 out of Miami to Cozumel. Their rate ended up being 400 deck 1, 430 deck 2, 460 3, 490 4. Around 1145pm I was just going to book deck 2 at 430 and got to the step of my cabin number choice. Now I could not see the total price on the next screen without making the step of entering all the standard billing information. So, I started second guessing and called my DS and then POOF it ended up being about 1220am and it went to different rates when starting over to book it. This time I could see the total price and not have to enter the standard billing information. Go figure.
I am sorry if you missed out on a better deal. I booked early for my cruise last fall and then one of the sites offered $50 to book thru them on a very short cruise, so $50 bonus on a 3 day was a nice incentive that I missed because it was only for new bookings.

I have yet to hit a really great booking that is other than the rate shown on all the sites. Well once on the Grand Princess a site gave me like $4 pp off, I was afraid to ask why lol.
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default My two cents

Something to think about is that as fuel rate go up so will the cruise prices. We went ahead and booked our 09 cruise now because we wanted to lock in a lower rate, we actually got it before Carnivals fuel surcharge went up! I am thinking of even booking our 2010 cruise pretty soon because of the price increase that I know is going to come.

I will check out the prices at cruise one but we normally deal with Jaice Prince at Carnival and I have checked her quotes against other travel agents and they are usually as good or better. Also if the price goes down she locks us in on that lower rate. Last year when Veterans day came around Carnival extended it's military discount to families of Military veterans and because we booked a cruise with my cousin, who is a veteran, we got that discount and saved 200.00.

Happy Cruisin
Tim
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old April 26th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Re: BEST TIME TO BOOK A CRUISE??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie66
Hi All,

I'm new here & was planning to take the family on a cruise this August 08. Should I book now or wait a little longer to see if prices go down . I was told to either book over a year in advance OR wait til the last minute.
I'm just afraid if I wait it will be sold out. Was planning on taking the Elation on August 4th to Mexico.

Thanks,
If your taking the family book now. Costco has great pricing, if your a member. other web sites match pricing. Remember, the longer you wait the selection of cabins is greatly reduced.
If you take a Princess cruise, E-mail me. I can get all first time cruisers a $50 discount per double cabin.
danielraessner@yahoo.com
The Sapphire Princess is sailing out of San Pedro in Fall, it's a really beautiful ship and it has self serve laundry service onboard.
The cruise lines have a corkage, read the brochure fine print at smoking drinking and gaming. Pick up one or two 3000 litre bottles of White/Red wine, each bottle is equivelant to (4)-750 litre bottles. great deal. Make sure you have your name and cabin number on the bottle.
You can e-mail me for more tips.
Danny
Good luck