Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Default fingerprinting cruise passengers... have you read this?

Let's discuss! Here's the link:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruis....blog#Register

I personally think that people should get fingerprinted when they get their passports. Not just to be able to identify people who should not be in the country, but criminals as well. I wouldn't mind the fingerprinting if it means it's automatically linked to an international database, and that it will keep criminals off the ship that I"m on (at least, known criminals).

I'd be more worried about thieves, rapists, etc. than terrorists boarding my cruise ship.

I know some people think it's an invasion of privacy, however it's a way to track known criminals, and if you are not guilty of anything illegal, you should not have a problem doing it. Eye scans are also a good idea - or even that finger print scanner they have at supermarkets.

Of course, the government will screw it up, like they do everything. But I think I would feel safer travelling.

Your thoughts, everyone?
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Doesn't bother me one little bit! I've been fingerprinted so many times, I've probably still got ink on my fingers from the last time. If it keeps just one "bad guy" off a ship, then it's worth the little bit of inconvenience.

Ken
"SKY"
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

Those that have the problem with fingerprinting are either guilty of something in their past or have not been flash forwarded to todays standard practices. A lot of jobs are requiring fingerprinting, background check, and credit checks. Nothing is looked at in an innocent eye anymore.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Admiral

I agree with everyone else. It wouldn't bother me in the least and if it helped just one time it would be worth it. BUT--- you can bet there will be some who scream and yell about privacy, big brother, etc. etc.
In the world we live in today, we better be thankful for the extra vigilance and security. Small price to pay for what can happen if we are not careful.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
First Mate

To quote Benjamin Franklin " Those who give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserves neither Liberty nor safety" historical review 1759
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:23 AM
Captain

This new security event applies only to foreign passengers, who will be fingerprinted as they leave the U.S.. I question the need for having the fingerprints of someone who is now gone out of the country. This new security measure is an unfunded mandate which must be paid for by the carrier, and all cost will be passed on to paying passengers. I see it as just another travel tax. Not much different than the Alaska Environmental tax or the proposed California Law enforcement tax. It all feels warm and fuzzy, but someone is gonna have to pay the bill. That someone is you and me. What's next ?
JMHO

JoeMo
Mardi Gras 1986 / 1987, Emerald Seas 1988, Jubilee 1989 / 2002, Sunward II 1991, Sea Breeze 1993, Seaward 1995, Celebration 1998, Norwegian Sea 2000, Destiny 2002 /2008, Rhapsody OS 2003, Conquest 2004 / 2005 / 2008, Radiance OS 2004, Pride Of America 2006, Triumph 2007 / 2012 (x2), Grandeur OS 2008, Holiday 2009, Fantasy 2009, Splendor 2010, Elation 2010, Victory 2011
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:04 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to christitunes

Doesn't bother me except I don't wanna be the one to pay for it. I already pay to get printed every year as it is!

Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Admiral

Agree agree agree....

I have no problem at all with this! I also have nothing to hide either.

I think the only ones who may complain are the one who "maybe" do have something to hide.

Just my opinion.
Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:13 AM
First Mate

Any thing to make sure we are safe is fine with me.

Sammy 1954
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Admiral

I totally agree, who cares if it can help to keep the passengers safe...

And hey, I wouldn't even care if I had to walk through one of those xray machines like in the Airports... I mean, if it means keeping everyone safe then what's a little embarrassment.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
I totally agree, who cares if it can help to keep the passengers safe...

And hey, I wouldn't even care if I had to walk through one of those xray machines like in the Airports... I mean, if it means keeping everyone safe then what's a little embarrassment.
I have set off those machines....jewelry

I didn't even flinch...I knew what was going on as soon as the buzzer went off. In fact I said, "Ohhhh, what did I win?"

Darlene
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
First Mate

The sad fact is that it only creates an illusion of safety. I can't say that I'm against it , I guess if we feel Safe most of us are happy. We all know who will utimately foot the bill, the cruising public.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:58 PM
Passenger

let me the one to cry scream or whatever you want to call it. Sure we all want to be safe ,but and a very big one at that, whenever you give governments an inch they tend to take a hundred miles, did you know that income tax was brought in to fund the first world war ? it's still here and we pay more and more taxes and new ones keep coming all the time.

It will be the same thing with this first it's fingerprints, then it will be blood sample and list will go on and on, and ofcourse you'll always have those who
will label you as having to something to hide if you do not jump on the bandwagon.
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Admiral

thanks for your replies..... I guess I'm dont' mind being fingerprinted - I have nothing to hide - but I agree with most of you that someone else should pay for it.
Old April 27th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack
ldid you know that income tax was brought in to fund the first world war ?
In Canada perhaps, but not in the United States. The 16th Amendment was ratified in 1913. WWI began in 1914. The USA didn't enter WWI until April, 1917.

Cheers, Aidan
Old April 27th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack
ldid you know that income tax was brought in to fund the first world war ?
In Canada perhaps, but not in the United States. The 16th Amendment was ratified in 1913. WWI began in 1914. The USA didn't enter WWI until April, 1917.

Cheers, Aidan
You might be right on the tax issue , but i don't think i should be treated like i'm a criminal if i'm not one, so the have nothing to hide argument does'nt work for me.
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:30 PM
First Mate

Being fingerprinted is NOT being treated like a criminal.

Being strip seached, finger printed and confined to a cell that all ingress and egress is controlled by someone in the law enforcement profession IS!

Many professions and places of employement as well as the military and law enforcement require fingerprinting.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Quikster Send a message via MSN to Quikster Send a message via Yahoo to Quikster

I have to be fingerprinted several times for work and never felt like a criminal for it.
Old April 29th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Captain

The truth is the Goverment already has my fingerprints because of my employer. I have nothing to hide and don't care if they add fingerprints to my passport.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old April 29th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauntz
Being fingerprinted is NOT being treated like a criminal.

Being strip seached, finger printed and confined to a cell that all ingress and egress is controlled by someone in the law enforcement profession IS!

Many professions and places of employement as well as the military and law enforcement require fingerprinting.
I agree with this! I would let them fingerprint me if it is necessary.

I too have nothing to hide, except some cellulite...that is a whole other story

Darlene
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Passenger

I guess you're all entitled to your own opinion, it just amaze me how many people are willing to to let governments ride roughshod over them. what will be the next thing ? we need a blood sample ? then we need a security clearance, or leave one of our children as surety ?
The list goes on and on
Really give it some thought before just allowing intrusion into your life.
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:34 PM
First Mate

Does a raised seal really need to be on a birth certificate?

My Wife's BC is from NYC and has pink-blue bacground with what they call an engraved border and seals raised "intaglio" printing

My BC has the old-fashioned "stamped raise seal."
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I find it interesting that only one person noticed that this only applied to "foreign" travelers. It is already in place for citizens of many countries. At this time Canada is exempt.

I have an issue with being fingerprinted under the guise of security. Each time I see another small measure of my freedom being taken away I cringe.

Yes, being fingerprinted when you have a passport and identification is taking away some of your freedom and gives the government a bit more power over you. Sorry, but I don't always believe the government is acting or will act in the people's best interest.

If you are fingerprinted for your job, I have been, it is by your choice to take that job or not. If you are fingerprinted by your own home government not for a crime, but for coming home, then you have lost some freedom.

Giving up freedoms for security has significantly contributed to the fall of some major societies. Germany, Roman Empire. It wasn't terrorism that did them in.

I'm just waiting for the day when I travel across the state line and an official asks: "Can I see your travel papers."

I also believe that believing that someone who doesn't want to be fingerprinted has something to hide is a bit naive.

Take care,
Mike

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I am NOT for fingerprinting at all. I have no choice to give them my personal information because I am using a US port of embarkation/debarkation. If I had a criminal record in Canada I would likely NOT have a passport, and if I did have a record and was issued a passport my crime would be noted on the passport and the US border patrol would have the right to refuse entry. Murder, rape, theft over $5000, and assault with bodily harm would preculde anyone from getting a passport. Some have been granted a passport, but they must jump through more hoops and get more enhanced checks to get a passport, needless to say, the government makes it difficult to impossible to get a passport for people with a known serious crime.

I would like to know how it is going to make your country safer having this information. If someone decides to disappear while visiting the US, it won't be easy to find them if they blend in and lie low (otherwise don' committ a crime...)

Either way if it is passed Canadians and foreigners will have no choice. I still think it sucks. Americans can come to Canada by car with a BC/DL, but we can't go to your country without a passport....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:36 AM
Passenger

phew ............. at last someone else is seeing this fingerprinting bussiness for what it is.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to randk

I know I am going to get beat up over this but, I to am against fingerprinting. I do not buy into this if it stops one criminal from getting on board than it is worth it. What kind of crimianl will it stop? One with outstanding parking tickets, maybe one that is behind on child support, maybe one that did not pay a speeding ticket? To stop a terroist is going to take more than a fingerprint at a port for a cruise ship. In my job i have had to undergo background check upon background check I am subject to drug and alchol testing I have to fill out a little book that tells the government where I am at how long I have been gone where I am going and even where I took my last nap at. Even when I am not working I have to tell them that to. To top this all off, I Am Not a Crimanl, I have not been in prison nor indicted for anything, I am an American Citzen. So I will take my cruise's and vacations but will appose any and all forms of fingerprinting as along as i can. By the way I own my own business driving a semi, they call that book a log book. I would love to see the guy in the factury and even the lawyers and doctors have to fill one out, it would make us all safer out there.

Fantasy 11/91
Inspiration 10/2001
Spirit 11/2002
Conquest 03/04
Legend 03/05
Legend 03/06 (again)
Liberty 04/07
Fantasy 10/07
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
Admiral

I agree that the fingerprinting for the passports is overkill. Many states in the US now use fingerprints or thumb prints for driver's licenses or state ID. That can be used in place of passport prints.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
First Mate

Finger printing now! next stool samples, blood tests , dna testing. You are so right one thing leads to another. We must be careful, Next we'll loose our [/b] RIGHT to keep and bear arms. Just ask our Canadian friends.[/b]
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Passenger

Affects me very little. The government already has my fingerprints from my nursing license application, and my DH's from his days in the military.