Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Captain

Default Carnival was great at handling emergency

Last week on the last night of our cruise we found great seats in the lounge for the early show. Our group was mostly front row with a few of us sitting right behind them. About 5 minutes into the show, just after the curtain closed after the first set, my Daughter-in-love whispered to me "is that a fire up there?" I looked up and from our vantage point, we could see a fire at the top of the stage that looked like a torch burning. I told her that if it was not pyrotechnics for the show, we would know very soon.
We had a birds eye view of the area that most people could not even see. Not even the front row. It appeared to us that a light above he stage just caught fire and burned for several seconds.

Almost immediately we heard the announcement that, due to technical difficulties, we would have to evacuate the theatre in a calm manner. Of course anyone would know that something was going on besides "technical difficulties" if they were evacuating the theatre. Since my grandchildren were in the theatre with us and the youngest gets upset easily, I leaned forward and whispered to my daughter to explain what was happening. I told her to take the childrens' hands and calmly exit with us as a group and not to say anything to them.

The fire was extinguished very quickly, but Carnival made sure that all the passengers were out until everything was checked out. The cruise director, Big Tex, made several announcements over the PA while we waited, to keep us updated on the status of the next show. We were able to return a couple of hours later to watch the show. We could smell the burned area and smoke, but the show went off without a hitch and without anyone panicking. I did have to ask one man twice, to please be quiet as we exited the theatre, so he would not frighten my grandchildren or start a panic. He made several loud comments about "the fire" and could have started a panic in the crowd.

Afterwards, I told my husband that I knew everything was under control and handled properly, but I sure was glad we were in the river on the last night and not still at sea. I was very pleased with the way Carnival took care of this small emergency. I hope that I never have to experience a major disaster on a cruise ship, but I do feel much better knowing that Carnival handled this small one so well.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Admiral

I leave for a Carnival cruise in 3 days. I'm glad you posted this story. It's nice to know Carnival can handle an emergency in this matter. I can't wait to get on that ship.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks for sharing that story, so glad to hear no one was injured and things were handled quickly.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Admiral

Thank you so much for a good report. There are always negative stories about Carnival's ships out there. I bet we won't see this on in any newspapers.

Now if it would have not been handled so well... it would have been on the front page. How sad is that?
I guess bad news sells?

Thanks again
Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Captain

Thanks for your responses. I was hesitant to even post this, because I did not want to upset anyone who might be new cruisers. But these things can and will happen. No, I don't think anything will be publicized about this and it should not be. It was a small incident and was handled very efficiently by Carnival.

I was one of the few who probably even knew what was actually going on due to where I was seated. If Carnival had announced the reason for the evacuation, there could have been a huge panic in the crowd, and the theatre was packed for this show since it was the big show of the trip. We were one of the last ones out of the theatre since we were seated up front, and it appeared that everyone was very calm in exiting. As soon as everyone was out, the big doors were closed and sealed off.

I am the type that remains very calm and collected during an emergency and can take care of things. Once it is over, though, my knees start shaking. If everyone would remember in any emergency to take a few deep breaths and stay rational, most emergencies would be handled much better. Adults also need be adults in a situation like this and remember that there are children there who are easily frightened and upset and should also remember to assist the elderly and disabled during a crisis.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old April 24th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
Thanks for your responses. I was hesitant to even post this, because I did not want to upset anyone who might be new cruisers. But these things can and will happen. No, I don't think anything will be publicized about this and it should not be. It was a small incident and was handled very efficiently by Carnival.

I was one of the few who probably even knew what was actually going on due to where I was seated. If Carnival had announced the reason for the evacuation, there could have been a huge panic in the crowd, and the theatre was packed for this show since it was the big show of the trip. We were one of the last ones out of the theatre since we were seated up front, and it appeared that everyone was very calm in exiting. As soon as everyone was out, the big doors were closed and sealed off.

I am the type that remains very calm and collected during an emergency and can take care of things. Once it is over, though, my knees start shaking. If everyone would remember in any emergency to take a few deep breaths and stay rational, most emergencies would be handled much better. Adults also need be adults in a situation like this and remember that there are children there who are easily frightened and upset and should also remember to assist the elderly and disabled during a crisis.
That did scare me in the least. I appreciate any and all information I get.

We were on the Jubliee to Hawaii and one of the stabelizers didn't come out with the other one. We tipped way to one side. Everything went sliding. It was early morning so most we in bed.

We didn't get hurt and nothing broke, so it was just one of those memories for us to keep in the memory book.

It was rather cool (not to Carnival) to walk around the ship and see all the broken bottle of booze and wine. The smell was interesting.
The gift shop was a mess and some of the dishes for the dining rooms were broken also.

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old April 24th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Captain

Redwitch, as we were sailing out of Progresso last week it was very windy (always seems to be there). The captain announced that we we should hold on to stairwells because we would make a sharp turn and list a bit. We were on the deck that overlooks the lido pool on lounge chairs and the grandkids were in the pool.

Boy, did we ever list. I thought we were about to turn over and our deck chairs were sliding with us on them. The water in the pool came rushing over the side and the far side was almost empty. It almost threw the kids out of the pool. The older ones loved it, but the younger ones made a beeline to where the parents were sitting on the lido deck. We were beginning to wonder if we were going to turn over, but it was actually kind of funny. If he had not made the announcement, it probably would not have been funny at all.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old April 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Nice to hear that everything was under control, and there was no panic...Kudo's to the staff, and to you, for your calm demeanor.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Years ago, we were caught in a hurricane while on a Carnival cruise. Captain merely took us out to sea for an extra day, since the home port was closed. No real problems, except that people were on vacation an extra day. Carnival re-scheduled and paid for all flights home for everyone. Did an amazing job.
As we were getting off the ship, the media was all over us, asking leading questions. When we said that we felt Carnival had done an outstandingly good job, the press wouldn't talk to us. They ran around until they found people who were pissed off and those were the ones they interviewed. I found that very annoying, not because I cared about whether we got interviewed, but just that the press was determined to make Carnival look back...just as they do everything.
AAARGH!
:evil:
Marty
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

That's when you get the names of the media people & report them to other media outlets.

Media HATES it when they get bashed. They will quickly do something to "rectify" it and probably would have posted your stories.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Admiral

I am happy to hear that there were no injuries.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 29th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
I am happy to hear that there were no injuries.
I am too. I tried to make it clear in my post, that I did not consider this a big deal and Carnival had it under control very, very quickly so, unless someone in the crowd had panicked everyone there shoud not have been any injuries.
2011 Monarch of the Seas