CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Cozumel Shark Attack? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/350492-cozumel-shark-attack.html)

ShotoJuku April 27th, 2008 07:13 PM

Cozumel Shark Attack?

With the recent reports of increased shark attacks both in California and here in Florida I was wondering what if any reports or concerns one might have of any shark attack issues when on a snorkeling excursion in Cozumel? :?:

Donna April 27th, 2008 08:08 PM

Latest one I heard about was in San Diego, haven't heard anything in Cozumel.

Salty Dog April 27th, 2008 09:20 PM

All the sharks in Cozumel work in the jewellry stores.

Snoozeman April 27th, 2008 11:00 PM

I haven't heard of a shark attack in Cozumel. I will say the largest shark I have ever seen was near Tulum about 20 years ago.

Cassandra April 28th, 2008 10:59 AM

You won't see a Great White in Cozumel, too warm. They like cold water (hence, CA or here by CT over by Montauk, NY on the tip of Long Island).

colorcrazie April 28th, 2008 12:43 PM

Salty Dog..too funny!
LOL LOL LOL
Just info, folks, while some sharks will only swim in cold water, there are many species who don't. But, the vast majority are harmless. In fact, we don't taste good to them, according to the experts, which I am not. But, I've lived in FLorida for a long time and spend most vacations in Caribbean.
Marty
Hmm...visualizing one of those taste test commercials.... :roll:

ShotoJuku April 28th, 2008 02:26 PM

It's not great whites I'm concerned with in particular, bullsharks are man-eaters too.

Dannyboy April 28th, 2008 06:05 PM

Re: Cozumel Shark Attack?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShotoJuku
With the recent reports of increased shark attacks both in California and here in Florida I was wondering what if any reports or concerns one might have of any shark attack issues when on a snorkeling excursion in Cozumel? :?:

You may if lucky find a sleeping nurse shark, just let them sleep. I have been diving in Cozumel for over 15 years.
It's my favorite place to dive.
If any one is a first time cruiser on Princess, I can get you a $50 discount off your cabin based on a double. You must receive a Discount ID first befor booking to get the discount.
E-Mail me @ danielraessner@yahoo.com

Good luck
Danny

Dannyboy April 28th, 2008 06:07 PM

Re: Cozumel Shark Attack?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShotoJuku

P.S. There was a white shark attack three miles from my house on Friday.
I live in Carlsbad California.

Danny

Michelle1959 April 29th, 2008 08:33 AM

Any time man ventures into the ocean he is in the shark's territory. Many sharks don't live in warm waters, but they do cruise through them to get to their current season's feeding grounds. Also, if they are hungry enough, they Do go into waters they normally wouldn't.

You never know when one of them is going to mistake you for a possible meal and take a bite. If you are willing to take the chance, it's your fault if anything happens. Not the shark's. Remember that. They are doing what they do naturally. You are an invader in their natural habitat.

Good luck!

REDWITCH 13 April 30th, 2008 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty Dog

Oh my gosh :!: That was so funny. I never thought about that.

It does seem like those sharks are on most ports :!: :wink:

Thanks for the laugh
Darlene

Dannyboy June 14th, 2008 04:44 PM

Don't feed the sharks

You have a better chance of being hit by a sting ray or jelly fish.
I dive Cozumel all the time, even at night.

Dannyboy

Irish June 15th, 2008 09:24 AM

I haven't heard of a shark attack in Cozumel and we have snorkeled there on different occasions.

Irish 8)

Irish June 15th, 2008 09:36 AM

Double post, Sorry

Irish 8)

Libragirl June 16th, 2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

I love this!!! You just have to bargain, and then walk away. LOL

Libragirl

Libragirl June 16th, 2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

I love this!!! You just have to bargain, and then walk away. LOL

Libragirl

lifeisschool June 16th, 2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

LOL

Cassandra June 18th, 2008 05:06 PM

I just got back from Cancun this past weekend. No problems, no sharks, no reports of attacks other than Jellyfish stings.