Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Seniors Escape Florida Asylum- Discovered on Freedom

Seniors Escape Florida Asylum – Discovered on Carnival Freedom
- an on the scene report

I’ve just returned to the cabin after dinner in the Posh Dining Room. The waiters sang and danced tonight, but that wasn’t the only entertainment provided.

According to today’s Carnival Capers tonight’s scheduled entertainment was the Guest Talent Show. But I had no idea they’d be entertaining in the showroom and the dining room.

During dinner tonight, at the 3rd table over from us a man, who I’d estimate to be in his mid-70s, attacked a table-mate, also of the same “vintage”, and held a knife to his throat. It would have been more fitting perhaps, if it was a butter knife, but it was a knife from the tableware. Thankfully it didn’t appear that the man had his own teeth, so he hadn’t ordered the steak, and it was a simple table knife.

At first I imagined that since a second serving of bread is sometimes difficult to come by in the dining room, they were fighting over a dinner roll, or perhaps the attacker had lost 80 cents to the victim playing bridge or gin rummy earlier in the day.

The incident was brought under control almost immediately by a group of vigilante 90 year olds who’d organized earlier in the day (just before their naps), to help take back our decks and restaurants and hallways back from the younger criminal element, who calls themselves AARP, who’ve slowly been trying to take over the ship.

They had taken to drag racing their walkers up and down the indoor Promenade Deck (too windy outside), putting other less agile passengers at risk, and continuing this activity late into the night… well past 9 PM.

Rumors abound that for security purposes the Captain is going to put a 9PM curfew in place for everyone over 65. There’s simply no controlling them!

Alright, I admit to taking literary license with the last few paragraphs, but indeed, for the first time ever on any cruise I’ve been on I saw another passenger (and he is at least in his 70s), attack another passenger, and he did indeed put a knife to his throat. And I’ll admit it wasn’t over a dinner roll. It was in fact over a woman at the table.

They were all traveling single, and one man decided his friend was trying to move in on “his woman”, and that set off the incident.

When I spoke to Dino, the Maitre d’ in the dining room, and learned the fight was over a woman, I looked over at the elderly women at the table, and I told Dino I wouldn’t even give up my desert for any one of them, let alone fight over them.

There truly are some people on this ship who are going NUTS… or more likely they got on the ship that way. I occasionally joke about more elderly passengers on longer sailings, trying to keep it all in good-natured fun, but there’s a serious problem with some of the people on this ship.

Perhaps Carnival is going to have to think about implementing a policy, similar to their age restriction for guests under 21 who must travel with a guardian, for crazy crotchety old folks.

I’ve told some other “you can’t make this stuff up” stories in the Virtual Cruise Report, on the Carnival message board. But this one was so ZANY I felt it deserved its own post…. And I’m going to tack it on to the Virtual Cruise Report as well, so the story can be continued with new developments through the rest of the cruise.
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

BAD KUKI BAD...

But oooooooooooo so funny... especially the following paragraph...

"When I spoke to Dino, the Maitre d’ in the dining room, and learned the fight was over a woman, I looked over at the elderly women at the table, and I told Dino I wouldn’t even give up my desert for any one of them, let alone fight over them. '

Thnx for the early morning giggle...
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Passenger

Must've been the same group that was in the doctor's office a couple of weeks ago and were trying to fight--over what was allegedly(sp?) said to his wife. And one of 'em was a pastor!!
Carnival Glory 07/04
Carnival Glory 12/04
Carnival Valor 12/05
Carnival Miracle 08/06
Carnival Fascination 10/06
Carnival Triumph 06/07
Carnival Inspiration 11/07
Carnival Destiny 08/08
Carnival Inspiration 10/09
Carnival Inspiration 10/10
Old May 4th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Kuki, I should think it wold be the other way around--the woman holding the knive to another woman because there are more women than men!!!!

I have heard some strange things but that takes the cake!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Admiral

I live in the Tampa area and there is a huge condo complex that is only for seniors. A few years ago, the media was full of a problem there. Seems some of the residents were unhappy about maintenance, so they went out and bought spray paint and graffittied the buildings.

Having moved here from L.A., land of graffitti "artistry", I got a huge chuckle out of the visual of elderly in walkers vandalizing the place!

That said, a dude ranch that I used to go had a group of seniors whom they couldn't control. Owner found them square dancing with women on men's shoulders once. How? I have no idea!

Hmm,
I think I'll try to be like that, too. I've been awfully good so far in life.

Marty
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

I bet it was also who was going to get the last of the the ******!!

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008