Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro
Default Just back from the Glory

We just came back from our Glory cruise. We were very surprised to encounter for the first time some of the same problems as one of our other members here who had written a detailed post. The VIP check in process was ok but we encountered problems right off the start. They take us into a beautiful small room to sit in nice lushy comfortable chairs to await your turn at the desk of the VIP rep. For some reason and we figured it was to move the process along a regular desk clerk came in and said I can take you out here at the regular desk faster. Well to start off they had our on board credit balance all on my name & all mixed up and the credit cards listed for both posted wrong. He could not give us the exact amount just stated it was all in my name only. We simply wanted separate accounts and thought it was set up to be. We couldn't understand that because we checked before we sailed to make sure it was correct and the Carnival rep stated it was. The desk check in rep had me standing way to long and finally stated I just don't know how to fix the problem I was never taught how to do it just go on the ship and the pursuers desk will fix it. I didn't get upset because the ship desk can fix just about everything and I carried all of our receipts from the fun ship dollar certificates, photo coupons and drink coupons with us as proof of payment. The desk fixed it all pretty fast and were very professional about it. Next time I will say I would rather wait here in the VIP room instead of standing on my bad knees at a desk so I learned my lesson with that problem if its ever encountered again. The weather was always so wonderful & warm and sunny.

The ship just beautiful and very clean. Our Cat 11 suite so awesome that we doubt we will be able to ever stay in an outside cabin again. It was like staying in a beautiful high end hotel suite. Our head room steward was the best and very pleasant to deal with as well as his housekeeping assistant. We didn't ask for much and even got our own ice when it was needed since it was so close to our room. But he was constantly asking us if we needed anything and knew us by first name.

The layout of the ship was alittle hard for me because it was so large and I had to walk alot to get to areas where I needed to go. I need bilateral knee replacements so the walking was rough but I remembered to bring a folding cane that worked great for that problem and I knew ahead of time the ship was larger than any we had been on before.

The biggest problem we encountered could not be resolved much and kind of bummed us out but we dealt with it for the duration of the cruise. We arrived early in the day to correct the table they placed us with which was a very large table of ten. I had asked as before on other bookings for a table of two which works the best for us. Well we go to the Golden dining room and Maitre'D Joseph says I do not have any more tables for two you have to stay where you are at. Now mine you when they changed my table before to two on other ships it was never a problem and the dude usually received a twenty dollar bill or more from my fiance' for helping. Then Joseph changed us to the Plantium dining room to a table of two and when we arrived our name was not even listed for the 8:15 sitting and the paper Joseph gave us to show the table number had a couple sitting eating at it already. Maitre'D V asked the couple who gave you this table and they said Joseph in the Golden Dining room. Maitre'D V then walks the embarrassed two of us all around the diing roomlooking for a table to put us and finally says heres a table. This table was out in the boom docks by the kitchen and exit door which was not a problem for us. Now comes the part we had trouble dealing with for the duration of the cruise. We had one Asian waiter who was always smiling and just a joy. We loved him he was great. But the head waitress who acted like she didn't even want us sitting there from the start. She never greeted us, hardly ever smiled and gave my fiance' a very hard time for anything he asked for from making his soup hot which was always cold to asking for ground pepper. He didn't want much just the basics. She treated me very nice most of the time but to him she had nasty comments and was not professional at all. Kenny dealt with it like a trooper since there were no tables to change us to at any point in the cruise and believe me Maitre'D V tried for us several times. I felt if we wanted seconds such as a lobster tail we had to beg so I didn't ask for seconds it took her to long to give us them and the process was awful especially as I said for my fiance'. I told Kenny you usually tip extra to the waiter and again for the head waiter so she is hurting herself which she did because he gave her nothing but the standard tips added on to the cruise total from the start. He did however hand the helper extra and said this is for you only because you were so happy and a joy to have served us. Other tables we heard did the same. I didn't feel so bad beause he had already given her twenty in the beginning to split with her helper because we had brought a pre opened bottle of wine to the dining room which she made a fess about also. She even had the nerve to say in a very nasty tone who was your sponser for this wine like she was going to turn us in for bringing it on board. I am always given a bottle to open on the ship first hand and never ever had a problem before bringing it to the dining room. Well at the end of the last cruise we handed our Maitre'D V the standard envelope for the tip. Said our usual thank yous and left that dining room. We did fill out the comment cards and desposit them in the box so Carnival could read all about what had happened. It was our first bad experience with a dining room waitness before and hopefully our last. I felt it was just a personality clash between Kenny and her.

Now about the Supper club. GO TO IT! Unbelievable food, beautiful presentations and the staff just wonderful. If I had known it was so good I would have booked that two or three times that is how great that experience was in that Supper Club.

St Thomas, we booked a tour with Sonny Liston Tours GO DO THIS TO! Way to much fun, dancing in your chairs, singing all through out the tour and worth every bit of the $25.00 each for a shopping, sight seeing, and two hours at Sapphire Beach to swim. I laid in a chair under a tree and snored most of the time that is how relaxed I was. The water was awesome and oh so blue. Best $25.00 each we ever spent and I would do it again. Nassau and St Martin we just shopped and back to the ship both islands are fun though to visit.

Getting off the ship was fast, easy and they catered to all. I actually sat my butt in a lushy chair right near the gate going out and no one ever bothered us. When they called our # 6 we got out very easy. Immigration was smooth and fast and a porter took our baggage right to where the hotel shuttle was picking us up. He drove us back to the Port Radisson parking lot where we left our car for the week. So I ending of this long post I would say I highly recommend going on a cruise on The Glory it was a beautiful wonderful cruise despite some of the issues that we had encountered. We would do it all over again!

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are sailing on the Glory in seven weeks. If I see your waitress, I will say hi for you. Seriously though, I have been trying to decide whether or not to book the supper club. But now I am definately going for it.
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are sailing on the Glory in seven weeks. If I see your waitress, I will say hi for you. Seriously though, I have been trying to decide whether or not to book the supper club. But now I am definately going for it.
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Admiral

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I are sailing "Glory" in three weeks, so we'll say "HI" to your waitress really soon. Sorry you had some problems, but sometimes you have to overlook a thing or two that could have been better. We've sailed "Glory" three or four times, and never had any problems at all. The Priority check in is great, dining room outstanding, wait staff the very best, and the food IMO the best of any ship Carnival sails. Once again, so sorry you had problems, but it sounds like a good cruise overall.

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Captain

Just a hint for future posts, put some paragraphs in for easier reading.
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Sorry its alittle hard for me I am sight impaired so it was easier for me to just let the words flow while typing unless someone is here to correct what I wrote.
This post was longer than I usually do just wanted to give all an update on The Glory cruise we just came back from.
Sorry again if it was hard for you to read Susan.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old May 4th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Sky you and the lovely Mrs need to stay away from that waitress she'll ruin your dinner time lololol. The Glory is a grand and beautiful ship and we would cruise her again. Probably with my luck I will get the same waitress and table but we would still have a great time as we did last week. It truly was an awesome cruise!

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old May 4th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Scuba you have to go to the Supper Club its like fantasy dining at its best from start to finish and well worth the $30.00 each. Make sure you order dessert

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'll say hello to your waitress this weekend. Im on the Glory May 10th.

Oh yeah, not being picky but it's a Maitre'D.

This will be our 3rd trip on the Glory. Booked same cabin as the first trip, 1028 Panorama deck, port side fwd.

Boy I cant wait until friday morning, heading over to Cocoa, for a pre-cruise stay ay the Comfort Inn and Suites. We got an employee rate and they are giving us an oceanview suite for the same $55, plus they have a shuttle to the port so we dont have to pay for parking.

C'Mon FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ro, I always order dessert. In fact, I think it should be served first, so nobody can ever say they are too full to have it.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Fixed the words for you Tim. Like I said to Susan I am sight impaired and sometimes I miss spellings or words "sorry". Have a great & fun trip on the Glory she's a lovely ship.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

AHHHH, its all good. Im thinkin we all knew what you were getting at.

Tim
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:12 AM
First Mate

The Glory is one of Carnival's best ships!

MAY 2011 - CARNIVAL GLORY
MAY 2010 - CARNIVAL DREAM
MAY 2009 CARNIVAL FASCINATION
APR 2008 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JUN-2007 CARNIVAL SENSATION
NOV-2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND
APR-2006 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JAN -2000 CARNIVAL IMAGINATION
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Admiral

I thought the Glory is a very beautiful ship and very clean. They had received some major award from the company when we were there and the President of Carnival was on board the entire trip walking around talking to cruisers and ate dinner in our dining room at the Captains dinner.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Passenger

Overall though, you enjoyed the trip right?

How is the Glory, is it newer, clean, nice?

And how was the entertainment?

*1st Time Cruiser
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Passenger

Sorry I missed the above post, I see it WAS beautiful...

THANK YOU!

*1st Time Cruiser