Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Default Self De-embarkation procedures????

I am confused about something? Which is normal for me as some of you know

We have an kinda early flight in FLL, we are leaving the Port in Miami...
What is the procedure since we are going to get the luggage tags from the Purser the night before and do the Self de-embarkcation? (sp)

What I mean is....how do we go through customs if we have our luggage with us????? How long with the whole procedure take?

Thank you for all and any answers
Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Passenger

You have your luggage with you when you go through customs whether you carry it off or collect it there in the terminal. We were in Miami in February and had an early flight. We didn't carry our luggage off, just picked it up in the terminal. It was very organized with the carousel and easy to find. Depending on the lines, it shouldn't take too long to get through customs. It took us about 20 to 30 minutes at the longest. It went quickly and smoothly.

Claudia
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiaAnne
You have your luggage with you when you go through customs whether you carry it off or collect it there in the terminal. We were in Miami in February and had an early flight. We didn't carry our luggage off, just picked it up in the terminal. It was very organized with the carousel and easy to find. Depending on the lines, it shouldn't take too long to get through customs. It took us about 20 to 30 minutes at the longest. It went quickly and smoothly.

Claudia
I am talking about the ships customs...how is that done?

How do we go through the checking out process of the luggage before we go to the airport?
Darlene
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Passenger

Darlene,

When I said "terminal" above, I meant the ship's terminal -- when you get off the ship, you go directly into the ship terminal where you get your luggage unless you carry it off. Then you go through customs there.

Sorry if I confused you.

Claudia
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Darlene,

When I said "terminal" above, I meant the ship's terminal -- when you get off the ship, you go directly into the ship terminal where you get your luggage unless you carry it off. Then you go through customs there.

Sorry if I confused you.

Claudia
Okay, thank you. that does clear that up.

The last time we cruised, we went to a terminal type building, sorta like a big garage, and all of the luggage was in rows on the floor.

What confused me and made me think you were talking about the airport was the carousel

Thanks for the help
Darlene
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Familiar Face

The self de-bark did not go well for us last cruise--they were to call all of those first and guess what ---they started with each deck and went to 2 more decks without even calling for those that had their own luggage----they my husband called to the desk and asked what gives--well they then called for us to leave and --guess what---they had all the elevators shut off but 1 and we waited 15 times for the elevator to stop and each time it was so full of the other guys with no luggage that we got mad and just walked down 4 flights of step with 5 bags of luggage and 3 people--we will not be doing this again--------everything else was as normal with going thru customs--they were there as we exited and did the normal --BUT WE WERE NOT HAPPY WITH THE OUT COME OF CARRYING ALL OUR LUGGAGE OFF AND OTHER PEOLPE GETTING OFF BEFORE US--
KATHY
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerenegade
The self de-bark did not go well for us last cruise--they were to call all of those first and guess what ---they started with each deck and went to 2 more decks without even calling for those that had their own luggage----they my husband called to the desk and asked what gives--well they then called for us to leave and --guess what---they had all the elevators shut off but 1 and we waited 15 times for the elevator to stop and each time it was so full of the other guys with no luggage that we got mad and just walked down 4 flights of step with 5 bags of luggage and 3 people--we will not be doing this again--------everything else was as normal with going thru customs--they were there as we exited and did the normal --BUT WE WERE NOT HAPPY WITH THE OUT COME OF CARRYING ALL OUR LUGGAGE OFF AND OTHER PEOLPE GETTING OFF BEFORE US--
KATHY
There is 24 of us that will have to do this...it won't be pretty if that happens to us...

Darlene
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I have not done self assit debark before, but each time I have cruised it seemed to go smooth and not too much problem with getting people off the ship. The last cruise all of the self assist people were off by 8:30am. I brought too much luggage to do that.....

Customs-to date, I have yet to spend more than FIVE minutes waiting in line for customs. Before the new terminals opened, they had tables with the agents and they always had ONE line for foreigners, but we spent a few minutes clearing that line with no problem. The next time I went through Miami I was in and out in less than five minutes! Galveston was even easier, we had a porter and we moved to the head of the line (not that it was a long line--three people ahead of us) and were out and at the transfer to Houston 10 minutes after leaving the ship!!!!! American citizens might have a more through check than Canadians, but the people ahead of me in Miami were going through fast!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Captain

Unless you have a really really early flight the self assist thing is more of a pain than its worth. Too much clomping around with luggage and 1000 people doing the same. Its easier and almost as quick to do the normal debarkation by leaving your bags outside your door. The ship terminal is fast and they got the system down cold. To me its too much of a pain dealing with stairwells and long lines with 2 or 3 suitcases plus any carry on stuff. Let Carnival handle the bags... its the only time you dont have to tip them too!!
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
Unless you have a really really early flight the self assist thing is more of a pain than its worth. Too much clomping around with luggage and 1000 people doing the same. Its easier and almost as quick to do the normal debarkation by leaving your bags outside your door. The ship terminal is fast and they got the system down cold. To me its too much of a pain dealing with stairwells and long lines with 2 or 3 suitcases plus any carry on stuff. Let Carnival handle the bags... its the only time you dont have to tip them too!!
Our flight is 11:58 in FLL. We are docked in Miami.

We thought that if we do the Self assist..we could be off the ship by 8:30.

If anyone has done this, with the same times and the same airport, without doing the Self assist, please let me know

I do not want to steer the group in the wrong decision and then we miss the plane. I was my idea to do the Self assist in the first place.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Darlene[/u]
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:

Claudia
Claudia:
Let me get this straight...you put your luggage out the night before, then you left the ship early, went to the terminal and found your luggage?
What time did you leave the ship to do this?

Darlene
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerenegade
KATHY
Kathy:
Do you think you could have not done a self embarkment and just put your luggage out the night before and still left the ship early and just went to the terminal and picked up your luggage there?

Darlene
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Passenger

Hi Darlene
I have read that if you tell them you have an early flight they get you off early
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass
Hi Darlene
I have read that if you tell them you have an early flight they get you off early
Yes, this is true.

We have a few people in out group, two have defribulatiors and one has other health problems.

We want to leave by 8:30 because of our early flight and that was why I was asking about not doing the self embark.

All information on this will be greatly appreciated...
Darlene
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Passenger

Cruise we were on last month the night before they brought us luggage tags with number 2 on them in an envelope, the letter in the envelope had the times for the number so like 2-7 would meet in the lounge at 8:00. We were off the ship I believe by 8:30. We were pretty close if not first off the ship. then down to the terminal to get our luggage had to wait 20 min or so for some reason our luggage was slow to get to us but by that time there was no one in line at customs and we zipped right through. Also just so you are aware at the airport ot at least at the Ft. Lauderdale airport you are only allowed to check in 3 hours before your flight.

So maybe this might be a better option than self debarkation if this is a fleet wide process.
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Passenger

Darlene,

Yes, we put our luggage out the night before. We were off the ship by 8:30 and then collected our luggage at the ship terminal. Then we went through customs, which didn't take long at all.

Claudia
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Passenger

We just did the self debarkation yesterday Darlene and it was a breeze almost.. The ship customs you dont bring your bags you just have to bring your customs card all fileed out. Then you carry your own bags off and go thru the customs when you get off the ship with your bags and that same customs card.
Be forwarned that we bought liquor on board at a great price and then the night before we were to get off board we went to the customs meeting and were informed that we were only allowed 1 Litre per person or at least we would have to claim any thing over 1 litre per person.. if you dont have over that amout you dont have to do the 5.45 am customs check...... BUT when we arrived there a nice customs lady informed usthat they were going to wave that and bumped it up to 4 litres per person.
We were off the ship even earlier than we expected doing the self debarkation and will probably do that from now on.We hope your trip goes as well as ours did.
DannDeb