Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Default Atten: Kareoke Pros!!

Hello all. I have some questions about Kareoke.
I used to sing on Jam nights (amature) with a live band, back in the day.
I have tried kareoke a couple of times a long time ago, however, it didn't work out for me because the songs I chose were in the wrong key for me.

Now here's my question, do you have to pick a song you can sing in the original artists' key? or
Can they adjust the key up or down for you?

I really want to try it on my cruise but I don't want to look like a total idiot. I fool maybe, but not an idiot...
Thanks.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Hi ferrangi,I just came off a cruise and I can answer this question. They can not change the key. However, some songs were sung by more then one artist so the book with say in the style of " Tina Turner." Do not worry about not singing the song perfect, I can't sing perfect or in key I still have a great time. My only problem on this cruise is the book that lists the sings was sorted only by artist name and I didn't know some of the singers for the songs I want as they were from broadway shows.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Admiral

okay, so I used to sing specifice songs... by specific singers, but not necessarily in their key... I'll just have to work on a new list of songs...

It's funny, when I sing in the church choir, I actually sing the tenor part with the guys...
Hey, but it's the right key for me, I couldn't sing any higher and be comfortable with it.
I'm going to start working on some songs this weekend.
thanks for the tips 8) 8)

Old May 15th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Passenger

Hey Ferrangi,

Don't feel alone on the girl-singing-tenor part. We have a lady tenor in our comunity choir, and she is just fine. We adpoted our "little sis" in the section very well.

My last cruise, I went into karaoke because we had heard it was fun to watch and sing, and my wife loves it when I sing to her. I decided not to sing because she was getting tired and the waiting list was LONG to sing.

Two bad parts of it - I think people should not be allowed to sing over and over - maybe a 30-minute wait time for previous singers in busy periods. Second, the selection book was dated and a few songs I saw that I wanted to try were not available - appraently it takes some doing to update the catalog. Other than that, it was a nice thing to do.

Old May 15th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Admiral

So can you go in and sing anytime? like when it's slower? If not when would be a good time when it's not quite so busy?

Old May 15th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Usually on the first night or so of a cruise, the karaoke isn't very busy, and it's a good time to "get your feet wet" and meet the karaoke host. More often than not, they CAN change the key if you ask them to. Some of the ships have very nice, updated karaoke books, where the songs are not only listed by artist, but also by song name. Other ships, the books are a mess, and you're lucky if you can even find a book. Some ships, and karaoke hosts will allow you to use your own karaoke disks, which obviously you know the arrangement, and the key it's presented in,,,,others won't. Karaoke is a lot of fun, but it sometimes gets taken over by the "younger set" and they tend to perform hip-hop songs with lots of vulgarity. When that happens, I usually just give up, and hit the piano bar. More often than not, karaoke is GREAT, and you'll have a wonderful time. No one expects you to be a Pro, and you'll probably never see these people again, so sing, and have a ball.

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Sing, lady, sing!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Admiral

That's it... I'm doing it. It's been so long since I sang on stage... but I don't care, I'm on the funship....

Old June 9th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Beginner

Hey, ferrangi! You're in luck! I can answer all of your questions because I am a karaoke host for Carnival and have been one for close to 5 yrs. now. I've worked on 11 ships and all of the equipment I've used had the option buttons of changing keys. As of recent, company policy does not allow hosts to use the guest's personal discs. It would be the host's responsibility to pay for it if something happened to it. In my experiences, I've never damaged anyone's discs, however, some simply did not play in the machine, or some would skip and they would complain stating that they use their discs every week at their own karaoke bar back home and it plays fine. Nothing really came from these small complaints, I would just ask them to find a song from the book to sing. Now, to comment on how long it takes to update these books is a whole different subject. We receive a handful of 'new' discs about once a month. It is the host's duty to correctly put these into their collection and print them accordingly into their song books. IF they don't, the next k-host has to, and let me tell you, having to have done this a few times previously, I can assure you that it takes a minimum of a month. It's a pain in the you know what!

Alright, ferrangi, I hope I've enlightened you, somewhat. Go into that karaoke bar and sign up! You'll be surprised at how much fun it really is, even if you sound like Roseanne Barr singing the National Anthem (remember that one)! If the guests don't like you, who cares? It's your cruise, too, and you should be able to enjoy it just like everyone else! And as one forum person said, you'll never see those people again! I say that at the beginning of every karaoke session I host. Words to live by! Enjoy!
Old June 9th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Rob
Hey, ferrangi! You're in luck! I can answer all of your questions because I am a karaoke host for Carnival and have been one for close to 5 yrs. now. I've worked on 11 ships and all of the equipment I've used had the option buttons of changing keys. As of recent, company policy does not allow hosts to use the guest's personal discs. It would be the host's responsibility to pay for it if something happened to it. In my experiences, I've never damaged anyone's discs, however, some simply did not play in the machine, or some would skip and they would complain stating that they use their discs every week at their own karaoke bar back home and it plays fine. Nothing really came from these small complaints, I would just ask them to find a song from the book to sing. Now, to comment on how long it takes to update these books is a whole different subject. We receive a handful of 'new' discs about once a month. It is the host's duty to correctly put these into their collection and print them accordingly into their song books. IF they don't, the next k-host has to, and let me tell you, having to have done this a few times previously, I can assure you that it takes a minimum of a month. It's a pain in the you know what!

Alright, ferrangi, I hope I've enlightened you, somewhat. Go into that karaoke bar and sign up! You'll be surprised at how much fun it really is, even if you sound like Roseanne Barr singing the National Anthem (remember that one)! If the guests don't like you, who cares? It's your cruise, too, and you should be able to enjoy it just like everyone else! And as one forum person said, you'll never see those people again! I say that at the beginning of every karaoke session I host. Words to live by! Enjoy!
Thank you so much for all the info.
So which ship are you on right now?

Old June 10th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Beginner

Hey, ferrangi! I'm currently in between contracts right now. My last contract, which lasted 6 months, entitled me to go to 6 ships in the fleet to make sure that the 'Legends Show' was being done properly. Do you know anything about the Legends Show? It maybe something you'd enjoy to be part of! I'm not sure which ship I'll be working on next, I just know I miss it. I met my wife on my first contract back in '03! She worked in the gift shop! Ciao for now, ferrangi!
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
Thank you so much for all the info.
So which ship are you on right now?
The Good News is that they CAN change the key (pitch control) on all the ships currently EXCEPT the Fantasy and the Holiday. (And that is because when the pitch control went out on their old unit Dec.06 on the Fantasy....Noonan (ACD at the time) replaced it with a DVD player and not a karaoke player! The Holiday just has an old unit that was "suppose" to be replaced...but as of Dec 07...had not been yet.

I know this because I am extremely "pitch dependent" ...LOVE karaoke and have sung on just about all of Carnival's ships. I was on the Dec 06 cruise on the Fantasy when the pitch went out. Noonan knew I was coming back in April and August and thought he was doing a good thing getting a new unit in before I returned. Sadly, he did not know the difference between the DVD player and a karaoke player.

HOWEVER, once the Fantasy goes through the refit in September...it will have the New Digital System (currently on the Imagination and the Inspiration)...so pitch control (or key control...whatever you want to call it) will RETURN to the Fantasy!!

Now the down side to the new digital system is that the selection stinks!

Of course, as with any equipment, the older ship's pitch control can go haywire at any time.

I have several friends that are KH's on Carnival and they do a fabulous job.

Have a great time!! That is what it is all about.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Hey, ferrangi! I'm currently in between contracts right now. My last contract, which lasted 6 months, entitled me to go to 6 ships in the fleet to make sure that the 'Legends Show' was being done properly. Do you know anything about the Legends Show? It maybe something you'd enjoy to be part of! I'm not sure which ship I'll be working on next, I just know I miss it. I met my wife on my first contract back in '03! She worked in the gift shop! Ciao for now, ferrangi!
LOVE the Legend Show!!

I have been Aretha, Gloria (twice)
and are you sitting down...Elton John. They usually don't allow folks to swap sexes but Noonan let me do it on the Imagination in February.
( I also have a tenor voice!)

On the Legend last month, Brad (the ACD) hurt his knee and I got to be Cher with Rozwin!! My 20 year old son was Ricky Martin. We had a BLAST!!!

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...83327311VeqfXz

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Hey Ferangi, Rob is right. You'd really enjoy the "Legends" show. It's really a lot of fun, and you get to know the dancers (both male and female) and even the lead singers, and the band members. I've been fortunate enough to have done "Legends" three times as Frank Sinatra, but am "snake bit" on the "Glory", as every time I've tried out for "Legends" aboard "Glory", something happens, and I don't make it. The first time I was legitimately beat by a guy who not only looked a lot like Mel Torme, but also sounded a lot like him. The second time, I had just had surgery, so didn't try out, and a couple of weeks ago, I beat all the competition, but at the last minute, a young guy signed up who couldn't sing, but had all his "peeps" with him in the lounge, and they out screamed the others. I hate when that happens!
Anyway, Ferangi, you should absolutely try out for "Legends". It's a HOOT!

Ken
"SKY"

Rob, I'll bet she'd make a GREAT Gloria Estefan!
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

By the way - if you want to change the key it would help to know in advance who to tell the operator what you need to do.

Most Karaoke machines give you the option to change keys, but the operator does not have time to help you findout what key is right for you. The machines raise or lower the key in "steps" which are really half-steps musically speaking.

If you know how many half-steps you need to go up or down, and can just tell the operator, he/she should be able to do it easily in a few seconds. That is much easier than having to tr to schedule a private sessions for the two of you to figure out what key you need.

And, no, it won't do any good to walk in and say "I need it in e-flat" because you have to know the original key of the song and know enough music to knw how many half-steps difference there is.

The way to count half-steps is every black and white key you go up or down from the original (not counting the original key), or if you know you always set your Karaoke machine down 4 steps (for example), just tell the operator that.

I hope Boston Rob can verify what I am saying.
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
By the way - if you want to change the key it would help to know in advance who to tell the operator what you need to do.

Most Karaoke machines give you the option to change keys, but the operator does not have time to help you findout what key is right for you. The machines raise or lower the key in "steps" which are really half-steps musically speaking.

If you know how many half-steps you need to go up or down, and can just tell the operator, he/she should be able to do it easily in a few seconds. That is much easier than having to tr to schedule a private sessions for the two of you to figure out what key you need.

And, no, it won't do any good to walk in and say "I need it in e-flat" because you have to know the original key of the song and know enough music to knw how many half-steps difference there is.

The way to count half-steps is every black and white key you go up or down from the original (not counting the original key), or if you know you always set your Karaoke machine down 4 steps (for example), just tell the operator that.

I hope Boston Rob can verify what I am saying.
You are absolutely right.

If you look at my karaoke case with my CDGs, you will see Up 1, Down 3,
Down 2, Up 4 . (It looks like my CDGs are doing pushups!!!) :o

Very Very few songs can I sing in the original key.

Old June 10th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Admiral

I have never had the courage to try out for the Legend Show. I think about it but don't do it. I love to watch it and support all my fellow cruise mates who have the courage to do it. We had a great Aretha on my last cruise.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
Hey Ferangi, Rob is right. You'd really enjoy the "Legends" show. It's really a lot of fun, and you get to know the dancers (both male and female) and even the lead singers, and the band members. I've been fortunate enough to have done "Legends" three times as Frank Sinatra, but am "snake bit" on the "Glory", as every time I've tried out for "Legends" aboard "Glory", something happens, and I don't make it. The first time I was legitimately beat by a guy who not only looked a lot like Mel Torme, but also sounded a lot like him. The second time, I had just had surgery, so didn't try out, and a couple of weeks ago, I beat all the competition, but at the last minute, a young guy signed up who couldn't sing, but had all his "peeps" with him in the lounge, and they out screamed the others. I hate when that happens!
Anyway, Ferangi, you should absolutely try out for "Legends". It's a HOOT!

Ken
"SKY"

Rob, I'll bet she'd make a GREAT Gloria Estefan!
Sky:

Fortunately, there are some karaoke hosts who "select" the performers and don't just base it on "noise" alone!! They want the best show possible and are not going to put a tone deaf dud up there if they can help it!!

They will tell the audience real quick....I want your input...but this is not a democracy!!

If they have someone who just can't sing, but who just happens to have a lot of friends in the audience, they will override the "friend's noise" with their own judgment.

Old June 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I still have more 3 cruises coming up this year!! Perhaps we will sail together on one of them.

I know Melvin will be on the Splendor, perhaps the Freedom or the Ecstasy??

Old June 10th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Quote: Fortunately, there are some karaoke hosts who "select" the performers and don't just base it on "noise" alone!! They want the best show possible and are not going to put a tone deaf dud up there if they can help it!!

They will tell the audience real quick....I want your input...but this is not a democracy!!

If they have someone who just can't sing, but who just happens to have a lot of friends in the audience, they will override the "friend's noise" with their own judgment.[/quote]

I know what you mean. All the karaoke hosts work differently, and some are a lot more fair than others. One hostess in particular, notes who each contestant comes into the lounge with, and those people aren't allowed to vote for their friend. All the people in the lounge are only allowed to vote for one person also, so it makes it much more fair, IMO. In any case, karaoke, and the "Legends" show is GREAT, and a lot of fun.

Ken
"SKY"
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Admiral

So in order to perform in the legends show, you have to try out?
By the way, I'm a tenor too, I just came across a George Strait CD and realized that I could sing any of his songs in his key... that would be fine for just singing kareoke, but I'm not sure I would qualify to be George.
(You can see by my photo.... )
So please explain if you want... how exactly does Legends work? I've heard of it, but I have no idea what it is.
Thanks....

Old June 10th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Hi Ferrangi: I'll see if I can give you a brief explanation of how "Legends" works. The show is done on the last night of a seven, or eight day cruise. It's done on the BIG stage with the live band, and the dancers, and the music, and songs done are set in stone, and cannot be altered. The passengers who are selected from the karaoke lounge are dressed in costumes to "look like" whichever legend they are "doing". The legends are: James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Elton John, Madonna, Garth Brooks, Britney Spears, RIcky Martin, Gloria Estefan, Elvis Presley, and Frank Sinatra. Usually, the karaoke host will audition two or three of these people each evening, until the cast is filled out. You usually don't have to sing the song that will be performed on stage, but you normally will sing one of the songs performed by that artist. You DO have to be the correct sex. ie: A guy can't be Britney Spears. As the previous posts have noted, the karaoke host doesn't always allow selection of the performers exactly the same way, so it may, or may not be fair. In any case, when you're selected, you'll receive an MP3 player with the song on it that you'll be performing on stage, with, and without the words. You'll receive the words to the sone on a written sheet. (the MP3 player must be returned) One afternoon, everyone selected will meet, and be fitted for their costume, and do a rehearsal on the BIG stage, with the band. It's a bit of work, and somewhat nerve racking the first time, but well, well worth the effort. If nothing else, it's your 15 minutes of fame. 8)

Ken
"SKYMASTER" (Frank)
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Admiral

I'm trying to remember what each person sang. Madonna sang "Like a Virgin," Britney Spears sang "Hit me baby one more time," Aretha Franklin I think sang "respect", Gloria Estefan I think sang "Conga" and I know for certain Elvis does a couple parts of different songs. If you go to youtube and put in Legends you might get some videos. You tube has everything.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Thanks sky...
I'm not sure they have enough make up to make me look like one of those artists... but it sounds like a hoot... I will definately sing kareoke (unless I loose my nerve) but I'll probably just attend the legends show for this round....
Thanks everyone for all your input.. this has turned out to be a fun topic. 8) 8)

Old June 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I'm trying to remember what each person sang. Madonna sang "Like a Virgin," Britney Spears sang "Hit me baby one more time," Aretha Franklin I think sang "respect", Gloria Estefan I think sang "Conga" and I know for certain Elvis does a couple parts of different songs. If you go to youtube and put in Legends you might get some videos. You tube has everything.
I think I can remember the ones you didn't get. (If not, I've got the DVD that they do give you of each show you're a part of.) Anyway, Elvis is Jailhouse Rock, and Hound Dog, Ricky Martin - Living La Vida Loca, Garth Brooks - Friends in Low Places, James Brown - I Feel Good, Elton John - Crockadile Rock, and of course Frank Sinatra - My Way.
Ferrangi, you absolutely should try out for the Legends. It's really a lot of fun, and I know you'd enjoy the experience. Don't worry about looking, or sounding like the legend you choose. The main thing is to enjoy yourself, and have a good time.

Ken
"Sky"
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Sky....
I might just do it.... I'm kinda crazy anyway and definately an extravert... you can check out our picks from our last cruise...
"Paradise to Mexico"
Let me know if you get a chance to check them out... you can see we like to have fun....

Old June 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
Sky....
I might just do it.... I'm kinda crazy anyway and definately an extravert... you can check out our picks from our last cruise...
"Paradise to Mexico"
Let me know if you get a chance to check them out... you can see we like to have fun....
Excellent,,,I'll give it a look and listen. Where can I find it?

Ken
"Sky"
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Find it there are a ton of Carnival legend videos on you tube here is Elvis.

Hey sky I wonder if I can find you. Here's Frank as done by Neil, he is pretty good.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Sorry I can't leave off Aretha!!!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Gloria Estefan sings Rhythm is Gonna Get You.
Madonna sings Like a Virgin.
Birttney sings Hit Me Baby One More Time.
Aretha sings Respect.

There are only 4 women Legends.

Good Luck.