Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Familiar Face

Default Do we really need all these shoes?

Only 2 days till we cruise so I have started packing for myself, dh, and 2 ds(who are coming in from college late the night before we go). I am overwhelmed by all the shoes! ....water shoes, sandals, for the beach, plus casual for dining, athlectics for playing basketbal and working out in fitness center....and the clothes....is it possible for men to get by with just 2 pair of slacks each? or even just one pair and recycle with different shirt? I am tempted to put in just 2 changes of clothes for each of us and be done with!! Sorry for rambling, guess I am just getting very excited!Clocks</a>
Free Cruise Clocks
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

let the college kids pack themselves or email you a list and then pack for yourself....remember you are now only allowed one 50lb suitcase pp on most airlines!

as for shoes: sandals, neutral, dress and one pair of sneakers pp... save yourself shorts space by getting a swimsuit coverup you can wear every day...leave shorts and tops at home...bring capris that you can dress up and down and coordinating tops...cruise 5/4 on Liberty had ONE formal night and ONE "elegant" night....doing this will keep your packing to a minimum

Old May 15th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Admiral

Look at the thread for mens' shoes elsewhere on this category.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:48 AM
First Mate

I cruise with 3 pair of shoes,sometimes 4.

1 Pair sandals I can walk lots in
1 Pair dress sandals
The pair that I wear to and from the cruise depending on weather

If I take a 4th pair, it's just something I can slip into the side pocket of my suitcase.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

now with airlines charging that crazy second bag fee i am really going to have to curb it...

i'm pretty sure on my last cruise i had 9 pairs!

if you saw my closet you'd get it...i LOVE clothes
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Admiral

I tend to be minimalist in packing, especially shoes. One each of sandals, dress shoes, water shoes, and maybe walking shoes, although I now have sandals that work fine for that.
However, when I was young...er, I once went on a 7 day when I was working such long hours that I had to throw things into a bag just to get to the ship. Wore sandals and realized after I was on board that the only other shoes I had were my stilletto style dress shoes. Those are not a good idea on cruises anyway, but to make it worse, the sandals broke. I had a choice of trying to hold them together with a bit of tape and string, go barefoot, or kill myself walking on the pool deck in high heels! Very first port, I went shoe shopping!
Marty
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Captain

I am a minimalist when it comes to shoes 1 pair of dress shoes 1 pair of waliking shoes/sneakers and one pair (Maybe) of sandals

As for slacks I would go with no more then 2 pairs each Carnival ships all have self service laundry & irons if you need. You can even wash & reuse the tops if you want no one will care even on formal nights.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Passenger

Default Slightly - strike that - VERY unconventional

I'll be traveling with 4 pair. Dressy for evening dining and the club afterward, Tuxedo for one "elegant" night, Ghillie Brogues to go with the formal kilt on the other elegant night, and these pictured below for everything else.

These look completely wacked out and draw quite a bit of attention but they are extremely comfortable. It's like wearing nothing at all and they're excellent for water sports. If you're interested, you can learn more here.

Rep

Carnival Destiny 7-27-08
Carnival Glory 6-18-05
Carnival Fascination 6-7-97
Carnival Mardi Gras Summer '83
Old May 16th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks all!

Looks like it will be 4 pairs each. I never thought I would have to use an entire suitcase for just shoes! Good thing we are not flying, am trying to get luggage down to 2 carry on pp, and backpacks if needed. If I left it up to the kids to pack, one would have exactly 1 outfit, the other would have nothing but shorts and tank tops.