Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague
Default Holiday Inn Superdome

Hey Everybody!

I was in New Orleans yesterday and decided to do a drive by on this hotel. I met Shelly Dupuy in the Sales Department. Her number is 504-581-1600. She was so nice! I told her I was with a group of "CruiseMates" who would be staying at their hotel in February. She gave me a tour of the hotel and let me peek at a room.

Okay, first things first...this hotel is not near the French Quarter, but do not worry. The hotel has free shuttle service to and from the Quarter. So you can have as many "hurricanes" at Pat O's as you want...we have a designated driver! The hotel is located on Loyola, which is actually more of a business area.

I forgot exactly how many floors, but about the first 7 floors are the parking garage. The restaurant, lobby and concierge are on the first floor. The lobby is small but adequate, with lots of old New Orleans charm. There was a small contingent of military personnel lounging about. Shelly said they had been there for two years....since Katrina. It was nice to see our fine young men in uniform!

The bar had TV's set up for those who want to catch a sports event. It didn't remind me of a sports bar, it seemed more like an old New Orleans meeting place. The restaurant was set up for dinner, with a large portion blocked off. The tables had tablecloths and everything looked clean and neat.

We took an elevator to the ninth floor. The hallways were small (not as small as cruiseship hallways!) just like most New Orleans hotels. The doorways to the rooms reminded me of hotels from long ago...small and metal framed. Once you entered the room, everything grew. I saw a room with a king bed and a sofa (which had a sofabed inside). The room was so clean! Shelly said all the rooms had new mattresses. The pillows on the bed looked very small. Four of them fit on a king bed with LOTS of room to spare. The TV was in an armoire and you had plenty of room to move around.

Shelly said the bathrooms were undergoing renovation. This bathroom had been finished. It had granite counters, a new tub and toilet. It was clean....I did my normal check. I always look at the base of the toilet. If it's clean, I feel like the bathroom is clean.

The closet was large, more than I would ever need. I would say this is a nice mid range hotel, with New Orleans charm. It is clean, inviting and will make a great place for us to stay. I'm sure we will overrun the lobby, bar and restaurant areas, but we won't have to look for one another!

Shelly checked on the $99.00 cruise rate and all of those rooms were booked. She said she would see if the hotel would release more rooms at that rate. I gave her my card and she will call me today with an answer. She seemed optimistic because our dates are well before Mardi Gras! Cross your fingers! If she can get more rooms, call to book and/or change your reservation ASAP!

The $99.00 rate includes a full breakfast for two, $5.00 (plus tax) parking per night in their secured, covered garage, and free transportation to the cruise ship. You will have to use a taxi to get back to the hotel to get your car. I've been told the rate is $10.00 for one person, $7.00 each for two people or the meter fare, whichever is greater.

Shelly said she had heard from some Australian CruiseMates who had booked at the hotel. She remembered them because their accent was so distinct! She did say to let the hotel know if you are a Priority Club member. This will give you access to the concierge floor with all the perks. So join now!

I hope this helps all of you! Let me know if you want me to check anything else out for you!

Melody

EDIT! Beenie reminded me the hotel has a heated pool on the rooftop. So all of you polar bears bring your suits!
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Wow
Thank you Melody for checking the hotel out and letting us know what were in for---- lol--
Do you know how we join the Priority club ?

cheers
April
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:30 PM
Admiral

You can join the Priority Club by going to the Holiday Inn website.

Melody
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks - can't wait
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

You did well Lois Lane..:):) A big thanks for doing this for all of us!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 21st, 2008, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Oh, and the hotel has a shuttle to and from the airport. I think it's $13.00 one way. Here is their website...go surf for a while!

http://www.hi-neworleans.com/

Melody
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Thanks again for the info-- I just joined
cheers
April