Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:01 PM
Passenger

Default Questions for veteran cruisers....

We're cruising on Destiny 6/8.

1. Is there more than one formal night and if so when are they?

2. How does the first night go since it's a later departure.

3. Carnival excursions depart first at ports correct? but then how much later for people who have booked other tours?

4. Do we take our carry-ons through the ship terminal all the way to our rooms during embarkation or are they left with the other luggage?

Thanks!! Any other info about this specific cruise would be great!
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Questions for veteran cruisers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Maestra

3. Carnival excursions depart first at ports correct? but then how much later for people who have booked other tours?

4. Do we take our carry-ons through the ship terminal all the way to our rooms during embarkation or are they left with the other luggage?

Your first night out will be a casual night for dinner. Just in case your luggage is late, you can always pack a change of clothes for dinner in your carry-on.

The first formal evening is usually the 2nd night out and the next to last on a 7 day cruise.

Unless you have to tender in, you can get off the ship anytime, even for an excursion. When you have to tender, the first people on the tenders will be the ones with ship tours.

You will take your carry-on luggage with you when you board, the checked luggage, just leave with the porters when you get to the pier. Good idea to tip them a few dollars per bag. In most cases you'll see your luggage before dinner, but sometimes not.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:18 PM
Captain

Quote:

1) 3 or 4 night cruises have one formal night anything 7 nights or over usually has 2 formal nights. And, one of those usually is the captains cocktail party.

2) usually Carnival serves lunch on the Lido before departure. Dinner the first night is typically casual because some people have not yet received their luggage.

3) not sure about this one.

4) They will check just about anything. However, if you think you may need it... keep it with you. I keep my swim suit and a change with me along with meds. Just in case my luggage gets misdirected on the ship.

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Since embarkation is so late, the lifeboat drill is also late, don't think we were moving yet but is was very close to 10PM for the drill. Afterward was a sail away party. We had been traveling all day so just went to bed after l/b drill.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:47 PM
Captain

When I Sailed on an RCI cruise out of San Juan several years ago the lifeboat drill was indeed in port before we left.

Regarding the luggage as the previous posts have said you may or may not get your luggage in time for dinner the first night so pack anything you think might need (medicines are the most obvious) or is expensive (electronics for example) and a change of clothes in your carry on.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone! I knew we were first off always for excursions but we've always done the ship's excursions in the past and this time we booked most of the ports on our own. That makes sense about the tenders. So it sounds like you eat and then the lifeboat drill will be after our meal? One more question... any opinions about taxi vs. Carnival shuttle from the airport to the pier? or favorite excursions if you have been on this specific cruise? tHanks again!!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I always just take a taxi in San Juan....Just go to the taxi station inside after you pick up your luggage. They will give you a ticket and then you just go outside and get in the taxi line. You should arrive at the pier in 20 to 30 minutes, depending on traffic. They do, however charge you for how many pieces of luggage you have, and then add a tip.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 26th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Passenger

New question.... do we really need the Funpass printed? We don't get a more sturdy one at the pier? I thought we would need a photo id maybe. Also, does anyone know the rules about spare batteries in luggage at the airport? I thought I read somewhere that the batteries(lithium) have to be in the electronic devices but then how do I take extras along?
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Admiral

The FunPass is only used when you originally board the ship. It merely shows that you pre-registered on line, which is now required by Homeland Security. Once you are registered at the pier, you will get your SailandSign card. It is your room key, charge card for on board purchases, and it is what you use to get on and off the ship in ports. It is a plastic, very durable card like a credit card.

I am totally clueless about your battery question....will leave that to someone else to respond!

Marty
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Also, does anyone know the rules about spare batteries in luggage at the airport? I thought I read somewhere that the batteries(lithium) have to be in the electronic devices but then how do I take extras along?
Travel Alert!: Effective January 1, 2008, the Department of Transportation will prohibit loose lithium batteries in checked baggage.

Put them in a carry on.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...batteries.shtm

http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Passenger

Wonderful. Both my last minute questions answered! Thank you so much. I knew there was something tricky about the batteries and I probably would have put them in my luggage but it looks like I should be putting them in my carryon and safer to leave the spare ones in the packages too. I have to have backup batteries for my camera!!
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Admiral

I forgot...you do also need a photo ID and proof of citizenship when you check in. Passport works for both. If not enough time to get a passport, call cruise line and make sure that you can still use birth certificate and photo ID, such as driver's license instead.
Last...but never least....have a blast!
Marty
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:

I was on the Destiny last month...
1) 2 formal nights... First formal night is Tuesday after Dominica second was Friday.
2) first night..open seating and wear whatever one has available. Many didn't have luggage at dinner times. shorts that night were just fine.
3) not an issue since we docked at every port, debark at your own choicing.
4) keep your carry on with you until you get to room. You will likly need it.. 8) It works the same way as the airport. You will hand over your checked luggage at airport to a Carnival truck and will not see it again until it is delivered to your stateroom.
The Southern Caribbean was a lot of fun and everyone seemed to have enjoyed themselves. for more information.....please read my review under cruise reviews !!

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Admiral

All of the other questions were answered...I hope I can help a little with the tender question.

We had a group of 26 leaving for the Port. We were not given tender stickers, but instead were told to just go to deck "0" and we could get on the tender. The gentleman at the desk used a "walkie talkie" to let them know we were coming.

I did see others getting stickers with numbers on them. When we got on the tender there were number 2 and number 12 on with us. I don't think they care so much, just so it isn't too crowded.

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Captain

Default Life boat drill advice / stories from past cruisers...

Does anyone have and good advice or stories about Life Boat Drills.... I'll start us off.

My friend Elaine ... calls the drill a Mustard Grill... I keep telling her it's not Mustard it's Muster and it's not Grill it's Drill... she'll get it sometime.... lol

Tip for people who are physically challenged or are a larger sized person. Go to the cabin and get your life jacket from the closet and try it on to make sure it fits. If not have your steward get you one that does. Then if you have any special needs let the staff know so they can accomodate you. Also, take you vest and go to your Muster Station about an hour before the drill. They close the elevators during the drill. If you are lucky to have a drill in a lounge you can get a good seat and be comfy for the drill. Also, don't put on your vest until told to by staff.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Passenger

You'll enjoy the Destiny. We sailed on her twice and it was a blast. Enjoy!

Carnival Destiny (2)
Carnival Imagination (2)
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Holiday
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Fantasy (3)
Carnival Ecstasy (4)
Caribbean Princess
NCL Starward
Dolphin Cruise
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Passenger

Thoth?? what exactly do you mean by open seating the first night? We don't eat at our assigned time or table? We sailed with Carnival 6 years ago and then in 2006 went with NCL and really liked the freestyle dining so we are curious to see if we like going back to the assigned dinner partners and time. How did disembarking go in San Juan? We're planning to book a rainforest tour from Carnival hoping we'll get off faster. We will be spending the Sunday night after the cruise in San Juan and I am a Spanish teacher so i want to see the most possible in Puerto Rico on Sunday!!
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
what exactly do you mean by open seating the first night? We don't eat at our assigned time or table?
How did disembarking go in San Juan? We're planning to book a rainforest tour from Carnival hoping we'll get off faster. We will be spending the Sunday night after the cruise in San Juan and I am a Spanish teacher so i want to see the most possible in Puerto Rico on Sunday!!
The ship departs later than most = 10pm. The first night (Sunday ) there aren't assigned tables or times. That's due to lack of luggage for many. I showed up for dinner and was put at next available table, just like breakfast or lunch. Not to worry all worked out fine !
second night (Monday) starts assigned tables and times.
Debarkation wasn't too bad. The airport was however a pain in the neck. If you book a tour like I did you will leave earlier. My city tour met in the show lounge at 0800. My debarkation number was 2 ! I can highly recommend the San Juan city tour which visits inside the San Cristobal fortress. Just be advised that the airport takes quit a bit of time so if you have a morning or noonish flight....make haste.

/ticker.png">
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Admiral

As stated the San Juan Airport is a ZOO.
Another good thing to know is that baggage has to be taken to the USDA inspection station in the terminal before it can be checked with the airline. They Xray it and put a green sticker on it. I saw many people stand in line for airline checkin only to be sent to USDA.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info guys. Anything else you think of in the next week that might be helpful please feel free to post it. I am so excited!!
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
. I am so excited!!
You should be ! 8) you will have a blast like I did. You can read more under ship reviews member reviews.

/ticker.png">
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:41 PM
Passenger

So did you book your Puerto Rico debarkation tour after you got on the ship? We plan to do the rain forest one but we've been told you have to wait until you're on ship. I just hope it's possible. Do you do it via the tv? What time did you say you got off the ship actually? We booked a hotel for that night so we have all Sunday in San Juan but by the time we do the rain forest and the forts I'm not sure how much time we'll have left. Thanks!! Did you have a favorite port?
Old June 1st, 2008, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
So did you book your Puerto Rico debarkation tour after you got on the ship? We plan to do the rain forest one but we've been told you have to wait until you're on ship. I just hope it's possible. Do you do it via the tv? What time did you say you got off the ship actually? We booked a hotel for that night so we have all Sunday in San Juan but by the time we do the rain forest and the forts I'm not sure how much time we'll have left. Thanks!! Did you have a favorite port?
I booked my San Juan tour at the shore excursions desk. It can also be booked 24 hours a day at the information desk. There are also shore excursion order forms in the room and at the shore excursions desk. Booking a tour is NO problem... 8)
These debarkation tours must be booked on the ship...from my understanding. Reading from the April 13-20 order form.....
Rain-forest....Palladium Lounge...4.5 hours...0800 departure....$55 adult 48$ for child.
So you can expect to be off the ship at 8am giving you the morning touring the El Yunque rain-forest and the afternoon seeing old San Juan. Sounds like fun !!
My favorite port? I might say St Kitts due to its magnificent Brimstone Hill fort. Antigua produced the prettiest pictures. Nelson's harbour at Antigua offers some historical charm at Nelson's dockyard. Gorgeous !
San Juan though still ranks as my favorite port of call.

/ticker.png">
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Passenger

Thanks! Your info is really helpful!
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks! Your info is really helpful!
My pleasure. I always enjoy being of assistance. 8)

/ticker.png">