Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Beginner

Default Mayan ruins in Progreso?

There has been no mention of anyone visiting the ruins, has anyone here gone to see them?
Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Beginner

I had signed up for the Uxmal tour months before we sailed on the Carnival site. Since it was so far away I decided to go with Carnival. We headed down the pier and looked for the gentleman with the Uxmal sign. He took us right to the bus. And let me tell you, there was only one bus to Uxmal. We were on the road by 7:30am. We saw the lines for Chichen Itza, there were 3 lines and they were very long. They had to have 5-10 buses. The ship was really pushing Chichen Itza the day before. They hadn’t even loaded the buses when we left.
It was a very interesting 1 ½ hour ride to Uxmal. There were 2 guides. One talked for around 30 minutes about the Mayan cultural. Then he just let us enjoy the ride. We stopped at a rest stop about 20 minutes from the Uxmal entrance. It was a small shop and a small bathroom. Not a luxury bathroom, bring your own paper and hand wipes.
Then we arrived at the site. It was beautiful. We had a guide for about an hour then he let everyone look around on their own for 45 minutes. We had about 15 minutes to look at the official shops inside the Uxmal area and then there were vendors outside selling mostly clothes. We bought a couple of t-shirts and a dress. T-shirts were $5.
On the ride back we ate our provided lunch of a sandwich, fruit, and Mexican chips. The whole bus had fun comparing chips, they were defiantly not Lays. It was a quite ride back to the pier. We arrived about 1 ½ before boarding, so we had plenty of time to shop the shops at the pier.
It was a really nice tour, no crowds, nice bus, great guides. I highly recommend it.
Old May 24th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Re: Mayan ruins in Progreso?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism4me
There has been no mention of anyone visiting the ruins, has anyone here gone to see them?
DZIBILCHALTUN is one closest to the port. It can be done in half a day. Not as large as Uxmal or Chichen Itza, but a nice site.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Beginner

Default What company do I book a Mayan day tour ?

We will only have a day to visit the Mayan ruins, who do we book with? What company and how?
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Re: What company do I book a Mayan day tour ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism4me
We will only have a day to visit the Mayan ruins, who do we book with? What company and how?
You can always book ship tour. Just check the excursions offered on the particular sailing you are on. If it's DZIBILCHALTUN you can book a local at Progreso. The shuttle operator offers tours and will pitch them to you on the ride into town from the pier. You can also rent a car and do it yourself. I've done that a coupe of times.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Good advice for a first time cruiser is to stick with the ships tours unless where you are headed is close enough to the ship that you can easily walk or taxi back. Not a good idea to go wandering off alone in a foreign country until you get a little experience. If you are on a ships tour the ship will not leave until the tour returns. If you are out on your own they are not obligated to wait for you.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam