Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Captain

Default Queen Mary? Has anyone ever stayed at the Queen Mary.

Has anyone ever stayed at the Queen Mary before boarding a cruise in Los Angeles? If so how did you like it? Did you feel it was... Haunted as they say?

We are thinking about doing this. Looking for info.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Re: Queen Mary? Has anyone ever stayed at the Queen Mary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffca
Has anyone ever stayed at the Queen Mary before boarding a cruise in Los Angeles? If so how did you like it? Did you feel it was... Haunted as they say?

I've stayed on the QM. I thought it was cool. It wasn't before a cruise though. I think that would make it even better.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old May 26th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Captain

Default Re: Queen Mary? Has anyone ever stayed at the Queen Mary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffca

I've stayed on the QM. I thought it was cool. It wasn't before a cruise though. I think that would make it even better.
I just checked and they are already booked for the night before my cruise in April... bummer. But I'll keep checking. I have a friend who said she and her family stayed there and heard and felt strange things at night. Then when checking out the person at the desk said the cabin above them was just storage and no one would have been in there in the middle of the night... strange...
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old May 26th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I stayed there last year. I thought it was the filthiest Place I ever stayed in. We had to put towels on the floor to keep our feet clean. I used up my clorox wipes to make the shower usable. Found blood dripping down the side of the mattress. I dropped my cell phone, when I moved the bed to retrieve it it was obvious that no one had vacumed there in a very long time. It was disgusting and I do not reccomend this hotel to anyone. Had I read the reviews I would never have booked this pig pen.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 26th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2
I stayed there last year. I thought it was the filthiest Place I ever stayed in. We had to put towels on the floor to keep our feet clean. I used up my clorox wipes to make the shower usable. Found blood dripping down the side of the mattress. I dropped my cell phone, when I moved the bed to retrieve it it was obvious that no one had vacumed there in a very long time. It was disgusting and I do not reccomend this hotel to anyone. Had I read the reviews I would never have booked this pig pen.

Laura
That is interesting. Blood dripping down the side of the mattress...stains? It's has been a few years since my friend stayed there. She didn't say anything about it been unclean. But things change. Thanks for the heads up. Now I'm not so interested in staying there
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Admiral

I stayed there many years ago and have to agree with Cruznut2...very disappointing.
I imagine it only got worse over the years.

The biggest joke was the shark tank.

Looking through the windows at the sharks...I realized they looked a little odd. I climbed up on the bench and looked over the walls.
The sharks were about 12 -18 inches long and the viewing windows were magnifying lenses!!!
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have to disagree, I stayed on the Queen Mary and I thought it was amzing.

It IS TRUE that some of the cheaper rooms are not as well-kept as they should be. The company, unfortunately, has never made money running this ship as a hotel.

However, the onboard tours and exhibits are fantastic (sorry, Rinker, but you must have missed the best exhibits, which unfortunately is too easy to do).

There is a museum if the ship itself, hidden away in various rooms in the bow, the entrance is through a conference room with no signs leading to it.
You also have access to the engine room which is amazing.

While we were onboard we stayed in the Winston Churchill suite, where he actually slept many times. It is very cool. It is expensive but more that worth it.

Here is a link to my article on this. NOTE that there is a map and tour schedule. These are essential to getting the most out of the experience. Trust me, if you love ships, liners, or Cunard, you will enjoy visiting this ship. If can afford a suite, then stay onboard.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ylongbeach.cfm
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Well, our room was a King water view which was one of the more expensive rooms. Walls had "history" (i.e. stains).

The only memorable exhibit, for me, was being able to view the rudder and prop from a platform outside the hull and below the water.
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
I have to disagree, I stayed on the Queen Mary and I thought it was amzing.

It IS TRUE that some of the cheaper rooms are not as well-kept as they should be. The company, unfortunately, has never made money running this ship as a hotel.

However, the onboard tours and exhibits are fantastic (sorry, Rinker, but you must have missed the best exhibits, which unfortunately is too easy to do).

There is a museum if the ship itself, hidden away in various rooms in the bow, the entrance is through a conference room with no signs leading to it.
You also have access to the engine room which is amazing.

While we were onboard we stayed in the Winston Churchill suite, where he actually slept many times. It is very cool. It is expensive but more that worth it.

Here is a link to my article on this. NOTE that there is a map and tour schedule. These are essential to getting the most out of the experience. Trust me, if you love ships, liners, or Cunard, you will enjoy visiting this ship. If can afford a suite, then stay onboard.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ylongbeach.cfm
Thank you. I will read your article too. Have a nice day. :-)
Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Admiral

After reading Paul's review I can only assume that he has stayed on the ship much more recently than I.

I was 19 years old (plenty nine years ago) and do not not recall any restaraunts nor suites being available. There was not much in the way of tours being offered.

One of the most memorable things about our visit to the area was the extrordinary display of Howard Hughes' Spuce Goose.
Unfortunately, the Goose is now relagated to a barn show at the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville, Oregon.
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Captain

Still looking for more info on the Queen Mary... anyone stayed there recently?

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

When I booked the Queen Mary I was interested in the history of this once lovely ship. Aside from a few life size pictures of celebrities there was very little to see. I have an uncle, still living, that was transported overseas during WW2. He tells so many stories about it. I looked and found almost nothing about that part of the ships history. To me that ships service to the US would be much more important than which celebrities have been aboard. I did find one picture of service men all gathered on deck waving at the photographer. Not much to show for a ship that so proudly served the US.
It was February of 2007 when I stayed there. It could have improved since then. I do not know, but I sure hope so. My feelings at the time were that the hotel part should be closed. The ship should be preserved as a museum. I am boooked to sail again on Carnival Pride next March for its repositioning cruise to Miami. I have been looking for a hotel for that trip. I do know it will not be the Queen. I do hope that whatever hotel you book you have a great time and a wonderful cruise.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2
When I booked the Queen Mary I was interested in the history of this once lovely ship. Aside from a few life size pictures of celebrities there was very little to see. I have an uncle, still living, that was transported overseas during WW2. He tells so many stories about it. I looked and found almost nothing about that part of the ships history. To me that ships service to the US would be much more important than which celebrities have been aboard. I did find one picture of service men all gathered on deck waving at the photographer. Not much to show for a ship that so proudly served the US.
It was February of 2007 when I stayed there. It could have improved since then. I do not know, but I sure hope so. My feelings at the time were that the hotel part should be closed. The ship should be preserved as a museum. I am boooked to sail again on Carnival Pride next March for its repositioning cruise to Miami. I have been looking for a hotel for that trip. I do know it will not be the Queen. I do hope that whatever hotel you book you have a great time and a wonderful cruise.

Laura
Thank you for the information. One of the draws is the history and the mystry of the ship. Hmmm sorry it's not available.

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old June 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Passenger

We stayed about a year ago... and while it doesnt compare to the ships of today we found it so much fun to be a part of the history that we had a great time! The restraunt was great and it was fun to take the tours. If you can try to enjoy it for what it is... a floating piece of history... you will enjoy it. You just have to keep in mind that it isnt new.
Old June 8th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

FWIW: the Queen Mary has a brand new owner and management company and they have announced plans to do an extensive refurbishment of the hotel rooms.

The self-guided tour is the best, however, the unfortunate part is that the map is very hard to follow. But DO it if you get the chance. The best part of the museum is in the bow of the ship - there are mock=up of all of the old staterooms, dining room setups, etc. You really get a feel for what the ship was like.

But to find that exhibit you have to walk through a conference room with bad signage. It is like finding a hidden treasure,