Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Beginner

Default Free upgrade?

We are taking the 5 day cruise to the Mexican Riveria on the Carnival Elation leaving December 13th. I booked the cruise through vacationstogo.com, but when I spoke with a Carnival agent, they said that it *may* be possible to get an upgrade when we check in....

Is this possible?? This will be my hubby's first cruise and we are celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary, his coming home from a 15 month deployment to Afghanistan, as well as our Xmas present to each other....

Anyone have any advice or suggestions? As of right now, we are booked into a room that has two twin beds that you can push together (or so they say)....would like to make this a memorable and enjoyable experience for both my hubby and myself.....

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Captain

Default Re: Free upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickimac72
We are taking the 5 day cruise to the Mexican Riveria on the Carnival Elation leaving December 13th. I booked the cruise through vacationstogo.com, but when I spoke with a Carnival agent, they said that it *may* be possible to get an upgrade when we check in....

Is this possible?? This will be my hubby's first cruise and we are celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary, his coming home from a 15 month deployment to Afghanistan, as well as our Xmas present to each other....

Anyone have any advice or suggestions? As of right now, we are booked into a room that has two twin beds that you can push together (or so they say)....would like to make this a memorable and enjoyable experience for both my hubby and myself.....

Thanks for any advice!
You'll really be fine either way. The beds do push together and are perfectly comfortable that way. We had that same type of room on Royal Carribean last year and the bed was very comfortable...Also, Carnival has a reputation for very comfy bedding so don't worry.

Happy anniversary and many thanks to your hubby for his service!
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Just got back off the 5 day Elation trip and really had a great time. If you want to try something a little different we did the Mini-jeep/Rhino ship excursion in Cabo and it was great fun. In Ensanada check out Hussong's Cantina. An authentic Mexican Cantina established in 1892 and it looks like not much has changed since opening day. I hope you are lucky enough to have Stuart Dunn as Cruise Director he really keeps the fun things going. As far as an upgrade don't count on it. You could possibly get one but as long as you have at least a 4A cabin you will be fine.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Beginner

I have been on 2 cruises and have been upgraded both times. The first time I was upgraded to a balcony and the second time I was upgraded from a interior room and get into one with a window. I think that fact that your husband is a first time cruiser increases your chances!! Keep your fingers crossed!
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

The Elation is an awesome ship. The bedding is sooooooooo comfy on Carnival ships. The lace the sheets with crack . My hubby snores like a fool and I didn't hear anything. When they make the twin beds into a king, you can't even tell.

I used to be a reservations agent at CCL so when they say you can get upgraded, they mean you will get the cabin you pay for or better and almost everytime it's better. I don't think you can go wrong

03/30/2009 ~ Carnival Ecstasy
09/14/2008 ~ Carnival Legend
03/2008 Carnival Victory
09/2007 Carnival Elation
06/2007 Carnival Liberty
09/2006 Carnival Ectasy
12/2004 Carnival Conquest
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by unchie12
I have been on 2 cruises and have been upgraded both times. The first time I was upgraded to a balcony and the second time I was upgraded from a interior room and get into one with a window. I think that fact that your husband is a first time cruiser increases your chances!! Keep your fingers crossed!
So, all you had to do was ask or did they offer?? Man, it would be GREAT if we could get a balcony!!!

Thank you1
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
So, all you had to do was ask or did they offer?? Man, it would be GREAT if we could get a balcony!!!

Thank you1
It depends what you are asking. If you are asking for a free upgrade and you booked a guarantee room then you may get an upgrade. However, the upgrade from inside to balcony is rare and the fantasy class ship doesn't have that many balconies so that probably won't happen. The more common free upgrade is from 4A to 4C which puts you higher up on the ship but still with an inside room.

4 is inside, 6 is oceanview, 8 is balcony, and 11/12 is balcony suite. There are no cat 8 rooms on Elation only 11 balcony suite and 12 penthouse suite. Here is a link to the deck plan. http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=EL Sorry to bum you out. I just don't want to you board the ship with unrealistic expectations. I had cruised on Elation and it's a great ship have fun.

I have heard of people getting on the ship and going to the purser desk and asking to pay for an upgrade. If the ship is not full it maybe possible to do this and get an upgraded room on the ship cheaper then prior to sailing.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you1
It depends what you are asking. If you are asking for a free upgrade and you booked a guarantee room then you may get an upgrade. However, the upgrade from inside to balcony is rare and the fantasy class ship doesn't have that many balconies so that probably won't happen. The more common free upgrade is from 4A to 4C which puts you higher up on the ship but still with an inside room.

4 is inside, 6 is oceanview, 8 is balcony, and 11/12 is balcony suite. There are no cat 8 rooms on Elation only 11 balcony suite and 12 penthouse suite. Here is a link to the deck plan. http://www.carnival.com/Deck_Plan.aspx?shipCode=EL Sorry to bum you out. I just don't want to you board the ship with unrealistic expectations. I had cruised on Elation and it's a great ship have fun.

I have heard of people getting on the ship and going to the purser desk and asking to pay for an upgrade. If the ship is not full it maybe possible to do this and get an upgraded room on the ship cheaper then prior to sailing.
I appreciate your advice and experience. We will see what happens. All I care about is that we have a bed big enough for the both of us. When I initially booked, they put un in a 1A room (BUNK BEDS!) and my husband was NOT happen. Understandably so....

So, I guess it never hurts to ask, right??
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Admiral

That's true the worst they can say is no. Here is a link to my review of Elation. http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/.../elation39.cfm

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Admiral

If you are booked in a 1A cabin (bunk beds) that might be exactly what you will get. It usually cost very little to upgrade your booking to 4A (standard bed). Don't depend on getting an upgrade and have your vacation spoiled because many times the upgrade does not happen. Also don't forget to use the Military discount if it is available on your sailing.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyDog
If you are booked in a 1A cabin (bunk beds) that might be exactly what you will get. It usually cost very little to upgrade your booking to 4A (standard bed). Don't depend on getting an upgrade and have your vacation spoiled because many times the upgrade does not happen. Also don't forget to use the Military discount if it is available on your sailing.
Hi, thanks for replying. I was able to get us into a 4A cabin (guaranteed) using the military discount.

Thanks again!
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Just FYI, we have booked the 1A bunk beds for a last minute, spur of the moment cruise once, and the cabin steward still was able to turn into a king bed. Just REALLY cozy. But 4A is a ncer cabin, no doubt.
Happy cruising to you both!
Marty