CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   cigars in puerto rico, usvi, or bvi (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/351706-cigars-puerto-rico-usvi-bvi.html)

xhookups May 29th, 2008 12:25 AM

cigars in puerto rico, usvi, or bvi

Hello,

first post on here... been reading the threads for the past 2 hours and i just wanted to say this looks like a great community.

I will be going on my first ever cruise very soon and will be going to dock in san juan PR, St. Thomas USVI, and Tortola BVI.

now in regards to the 100 max cigars per trip (that your allowed to bring back on board) ... where am i going to find said cigars?

Are there "beach boys" basically selling them on there own for cheap? or do I have to wonder around untill i find a cigar shop?

Is there anything I should be worried about (getting overcharged.... haggeling appropriate?, fake cigars?) and when i bring them back on board am I allowed to smoke them withn the designated spots right away or does it work the same as the alcohol; where i would only get them back at the end of the cruise?

If anyone could address any of these topics id appreciate there time.
thankyou

BrwnEyedGirl May 29th, 2008 01:15 AM

When my other half has bought cigars in Mexico he usually shops at the cigars shops in port to ensure that they are fresh. Most of the 'talks' they have on board during your cruise will say the best places to shop for certain items (cigars,alcohol,jewlery etc..). As far as having to turn in the cigars when you get back on board I have never heard of that, only alcohol, if they catch you. Yes, I do believe you have certain areas that are off limits to cigar smoking. Have a great cruise!!!

Sammy1954 May 29th, 2008 07:55 AM

Now I never bought cigars but I know a few weeks ago when we
were coming back from a cruise they said you would be able to
buy up to a 100 but that you could not bring them in the states.
So before you buy a bunch ask questions on the ship to see if
you can bring what you buy back in to the states.

cruise director was telling everyone to meet to smoke all they had.

so ask first....

sammy

ScurvyDog May 29th, 2008 08:38 AM

Not being able to bring them back into the U.S. refers only to Cuban Cigars.

REDWITCH 13 May 29th, 2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScurvyDog
Not being able to bring them back into the U.S. refers only to Cuban Cigars.

Yes, this is so true. We were told to just remove the band on the cigar that says it is Cuban. If asked...simply say you brought them with you.

My husband and son both bought cigars and smoked some in the Cigar room while on the ship. They brought the rest home....

Darlene

Trip May 29th, 2008 09:30 AM

Try and find cigars made in the Dominican Republic. They are supposed to be fine cigars. You could also pick up a copy of Cigar Afficiando and browse the articles for brands etc....

Cassandra May 29th, 2008 10:33 AM

However, the way around the Cuban issue (if they are actually Cuban, lots of fakes out there & places that lie).

Tear off the label or replace it with another label.

Russell in MD May 29th, 2008 03:46 PM

As a cigar smoker I will tell you I have found no deals worth talking about on non-cuban cigars in the islands. Prices were either equal of more then my local shop so Id say bring your own from home in a rubbermaid conatiner if you want to indulge. For Cubans Id be very wary of seeking them out as there are fakes all over the place. If you must, seek out a Casa de Habano shop (the Cuban Govt oulet). They will be legit and they are not cheap. Plan to shell out close to $20 or more per stick. If you dont know what your doing the whole Cuban thing aint worth getting ripped off over. Of note the letter of the law says you cant buy them even over seas.

Dutchman May 31st, 2008 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell in MD
As a cigar smoker I will tell you I have found no deals worth talking about on non-cuban cigars in the islands. Prices were either equal of more then my local shop so Id say bring your own from home in a rubbermaid conatiner if you want to indulge. For Cubans Id be very wary of seeking them out as there are fakes all over the place. If you must, seek out a Casa de Habano shop (the Cuban Govt oulet). They will be legit and they are not cheap. Plan to shell out close to $20 or more per stick. If you dont know what your doing the whole Cuban thing aint worth getting ripped off over. Of note the letter of the law says you cant buy them even over seas.

They are way over priced and then you find out the are way over yukky to. :roll: Learned that leasson.

qwert June 1st, 2008 05:55 PM

Russell is dead on. I am a fellow aficionado and know for a fact that 99% of the "Cuban" cigars sold at every single shop that is not a Casa de Habano are fakes. Assuming that you are looking for a good deal on Honduran or Dominican cigars, forget about it. In the states we pay rediculously low prices that I bet you couldn't beat even if you went to Honduras or the DR. So buy one or two cigars on those islands if you run out, but do as Russell said and bring them with you.