Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Beginner

Default cigars in puerto rico, usvi, or bvi

Hello,

first post on here... been reading the threads for the past 2 hours and i just wanted to say this looks like a great community.

I will be going on my first ever cruise very soon and will be going to dock in san juan PR, St. Thomas USVI, and Tortola BVI.

now in regards to the 100 max cigars per trip (that your allowed to bring back on board) ... where am i going to find said cigars?

Are there "beach boys" basically selling them on there own for cheap? or do I have to wonder around untill i find a cigar shop?

Is there anything I should be worried about (getting overcharged.... haggeling appropriate?, fake cigars?) and when i bring them back on board am I allowed to smoke them withn the designated spots right away or does it work the same as the alcohol; where i would only get them back at the end of the cruise?

If anyone could address any of these topics id appreciate there time.
thankyou
Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:15 AM
First Mate

When my other half has bought cigars in Mexico he usually shops at the cigars shops in port to ensure that they are fresh. Most of the 'talks' they have on board during your cruise will say the best places to shop for certain items (cigars,alcohol,jewlery etc..). As far as having to turn in the cigars when you get back on board I have never heard of that, only alcohol, if they catch you. Yes, I do believe you have certain areas that are off limits to cigar smoking. Have a great cruise!!!
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:55 AM
First Mate

Now I never bought cigars but I know a few weeks ago when we
were coming back from a cruise they said you would be able to
buy up to a 100 but that you could not bring them in the states.
So before you buy a bunch ask questions on the ship to see if
you can bring what you buy back in to the states.

cruise director was telling everyone to meet to smoke all they had.

so ask first....

sammy
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Not being able to bring them back into the U.S. refers only to Cuban Cigars.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyDog
Not being able to bring them back into the U.S. refers only to Cuban Cigars.
Yes, this is so true. We were told to just remove the band on the cigar that says it is Cuban. If asked...simply say you brought them with you.

My husband and son both bought cigars and smoked some in the Cigar room while on the ship. They brought the rest home....

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Try and find cigars made in the Dominican Republic. They are supposed to be fine cigars. You could also pick up a copy of Cigar Afficiando and browse the articles for brands etc....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 29th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

However, the way around the Cuban issue (if they are actually Cuban, lots of fakes out there & places that lie).

Tear off the label or replace it with another label.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:46 PM
First Mate

As a cigar smoker I will tell you I have found no deals worth talking about on non-cuban cigars in the islands. Prices were either equal of more then my local shop so Id say bring your own from home in a rubbermaid conatiner if you want to indulge. For Cubans Id be very wary of seeking them out as there are fakes all over the place. If you must, seek out a Casa de Habano shop (the Cuban Govt oulet). They will be legit and they are not cheap. Plan to shell out close to $20 or more per stick. If you dont know what your doing the whole Cuban thing aint worth getting ripped off over. Of note the letter of the law says you cant buy them even over seas.

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:02 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell in MD
As a cigar smoker I will tell you I have found no deals worth talking about on non-cuban cigars in the islands. Prices were either equal of more then my local shop so Id say bring your own from home in a rubbermaid conatiner if you want to indulge. For Cubans Id be very wary of seeking them out as there are fakes all over the place. If you must, seek out a Casa de Habano shop (the Cuban Govt oulet). They will be legit and they are not cheap. Plan to shell out close to $20 or more per stick. If you dont know what your doing the whole Cuban thing aint worth getting ripped off over. Of note the letter of the law says you cant buy them even over seas.
They are way over priced and then you find out the are way over yukky to. Learned that leasson.
Old June 1st, 2008, 05:55 PM
Familiar Face

Russell is dead on. I am a fellow aficionado and know for a fact that 99% of the "Cuban" cigars sold at every single shop that is not a Casa de Habano are fakes. Assuming that you are looking for a good deal on Honduran or Dominican cigars, forget about it. In the states we pay rediculously low prices that I bet you couldn't beat even if you went to Honduras or the DR. So buy one or two cigars on those islands if you run out, but do as Russell said and bring them with you.