CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Minor Traveling without Parent (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/351830-minor-traveling-without-parent.html)

NancyB June 1st, 2008 11:14 AM

Minor Traveling without Parent

I am taking 3 teenageers with me.
2 are my children and 1 is a best friend.
Has anyone had any problems with taking someone elses child with them???
I am trying to get some type of form-like "Permission Slip" to take this child with us. I dont want to have any delays.

Any Suggestions!!!
Thanks,
NancyB

scubapete June 1st, 2008 11:54 AM

I was reading the Carnaval FAQ's. They state if traveling with minors and no parent/legal guardian is present, to obtain a letter from the same giving you permission to do so. If going ashore in Mexico, the letter must be notarized.

Fern June 1st, 2008 09:19 PM

Here's one that's been used for a while:

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

I (we):_____________________________________________ _________________

authorize my/our minor child(ren):_______________________________________ ____

to travel to:_________________________________ on:_________________________

aboard Airline/Flight Number:________________________________________

and/or Cruise Ship:_____________________________________________ with:

__________________________________________________ __________. Their expected

date of return is _______________________.

In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ to consent

to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Address:________________________________________

Telephone:______________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

As scubapete said, have this notarized. Both parents must sign the form!

BobMiller June 2nd, 2008 01:58 PM

We take our nieces on trips every now and then. Carnival does require a consent form like the one in the previous replay and you really should get a notarized release for medical treatment too.

scubapete June 2nd, 2008 05:16 PM

I also noticed that a minor traveling without a parent may not use the parent's credit card, even with written permission.

NancyB June 3rd, 2008 07:24 PM

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!
I will use this one supplied and Thank you again.
July is fast approaching.
I am so excited.
Thank you,
Nancy

Snoozeman June 3rd, 2008 09:29 PM

Carnival has their own form that you should probably use. It spells out some specifics that you as guardian agree to perform to assure the safety of the minor traveling with you. Both the parent and you will need to sign it. They will check it before issuing a ticket. It is somewhere on the Carnival website available for download. I can send you one if you don't find it. Good luck.

mteague June 4th, 2008 05:24 PM

Yea, Carnival has one. Your PVP or TA can get it for you pronto. Also, the parents of the teen can have their bank issue a credit card in the teen's name on their account. You might want to get started on that. We took a group of high school seniors and everything was fine. We used Carnival's permission slip and each unaccompanied teen had their own credit card.

Have fun!

Melody

NancyB June 4th, 2008 10:12 PM

That's a great idea about the credit card. That would keep her from having to carry cash or Pay me back. Thanks for that idea.

Also thanks so much for the form information.

nancy

Snoozeman June 4th, 2008 10:14 PM

Did you get it?

NancyB June 5th, 2008 07:30 PM

Minor Form

Snoozeman,

Yes, thank you. I was able to print part of the one you sent. It only goes down to #9 on the list. However it is very helpful. I will try to get Carnival to send me one. If they don't soon, I will type one up.

Thank you so much for the help.

Nancy

Rev22:17 June 6th, 2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern
Here's one that's been used for a while:

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

I (we):_____________________________________________ _________________

authorize my/our minor child(ren):_______________________________________ ____

to travel to:_________________________________ on:_________________________

aboard Airline/Flight Number:________________________________________

and/or Cruise Ship:_____________________________________________ with:

__________________________________________________ __________. Their expected

date of return is _______________________.

In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ to consent

to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Address:________________________________________

Telephone:______________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

As scubapete said, have this notarized. Both parents must sign the form!

The lawyer who drafted this form should be fired. I'm not a lawyer, yet I can see serious problems. Most significantly, this form fails to allow for deviations in the planned itinerary -- even rerouting to the same city on a later flight on the same day! -- that may become necessary due to weather or other circumstances. It also does not accommodate a situation in which the party must return home unexpectedly due to an emergency at home or some other unforeseen circumstance.

If it were my child (or if I were taking somebody else's child), I would type a letter with the following or similar wording.

Quote:

I/we hereby grant permission for our child(ren), <name(s) of child(ren)> to travel on the attached with <name(s) of resposible adult(s)> on the dates shown, or on any deviation from the attached itinerary that may become necessary or prudent due to weather, outbreak of war or other hostilities, medical situations, or other unforeseeable circumstances that may arise until the party returns home.

I/we also grant permission for the same adult(s) to authorize any medical care that any of the child(ren) named above may require during the said trip.

I/we also grant grant to the same adult(s) power of attorney with regard to proceedings involving the child(ren) named above before any court or government official or any other legal matters that may arise during the trip, including retention of such legal counsel as they deem necessary or appropriate with respect to any situation that may arise during said trip.
I'm sure that a competent lawyer could improve on this wording, but I think that it covers all the bases.

Norm.

hurricane girl June 9th, 2008 09:23 PM

I just came back and we took DS best friend with us...I printed the form out like the one in prev. post, filled it in, the parent signed and notorized it. I never showed the letter to anyone. Not to say that they won't ask. We have taken our DS and DD (both from prev. marriages, one to each of us) on previous cruises. I have never had to show the letter from our ex's to anyone. I have always had them just in case.
One more tip...get a copy of the child's insurance card...just in case. :wink:

NancyB June 9th, 2008 09:54 PM

Thank you again for all the great information.
I will get a copy of the ins. card.
Thanks again,
Nancy