Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default compare Carnival to Princess or Norwegian please?

what are the big differences? (for those of you who have been on both)

should we expect less?

the prices on carnival are much much less from nyc and it seems like a great deal, just wondering how the experience is, thanks

Carnival Destiny - 2000
Norwegian Dawn - April 2006
Crown Princess - June 2007
Norwegian Gem - March 2008
Caribbean Princess - July 2008
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've only been on one Carnival cruise, Glory and it was outstanding. The food and production shows are not to be missed. I'm a huge Royal Caribbean fan and I just noticed some small stuff that I liked better with Royal, but Carnival offers a great cruise expierence. Its a more lively atmosphere than you'll find on Princess.

Its all basically what you are looking for in a cruise, I don't think you can go wrong with Carnival.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I sailed Carnival Conquest last summer, my last one had been in 95. I was really impressed with the food and entertainment. I too am an RCI fan, and always made comparisons. Princess gave me 3 enjoyable cruises as well.....Princess and RCI, cruises, will give you a more laid back, and, quieter experience. Carnival is just a livlier cruise, in all areas.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Ditto to all the above. We've done lots and lots of RCI, and Princess cruises, but have done Carnival for 10 out of our last 12 cruises. Carnival has come a long way in the last 5 years, and when compared to RCI and Princess, it's a great cruise for the money. If you are into the rock wall, or ice rink or perhaps the flow rider, then RCI might be worth the extra money. Princess does offer a bit more upscale cruise, but once again,,,,,Carnival gives you a GREAT cruise, and especially considering the price.

Ken
"SKY"
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Familiar Face

Carnival - Motel Six

Princess - Hyatt - well maybe not the Hyatt but you get the point.
3 Holland America cruises
1 Celebrity cruise
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Passenger

Princess caters to a more laid back crowd....although sometimes I find them snobby due to the cost of the sailing. Carnival is a cruiseline to have fun on, although you can do that on Princess as well, but the average Princess cruiser is considerably older.
Any cruise is a good cruise, and you make the vacation what you want to make it.
Caribbean Princess October 2006

Read and post cruise reviews

Old June 3rd, 2008, 02:59 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie
Carnival - Motel Six

wow kinda harsh?? best motel six i've ever been too, and the rooms must be larger than the "hyatt" since mine was.

Basically, if your a couple with no kids (and older) the princess is for you perhaps, with kids, im thinking carnival seems more kid friendly. I've heard the food is about the same (where rci is not as good food wise).....

i dunno, i love carnival it does tend to be more "fun filled" than other cruise lines i believe if you know what i mean. Just avoid summers and holidays and spring break, you'll love it.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Passenger

Motel Six is very insulting to carnival, because I personally LOVE Carnival. I have sailed on all 4 major lines and Carnival is the best bang for my buck.

Princess is for quiter layed back cruise. We enjoyed our trip on the CP, but the passengers age averaged around 65. Their show lounge and shows were quite a disappointment. Their ship is lovely and very grand but way to layed back.

Royal was great, but expensive and the difference wasn't worth the extra $$. The only real difference to me was the adult pool area, which was wonderful, but I won't pay such a difference just for that experience.

I am always ready to book a Carnival cruise because I know I will have a blast. I love their shows and lounge and the idea of paying for a great cruise and still having $$ left over to enjoy. If I want quiet time, trust me I find it somewhere on the ship, just look for it.

Carnival Fan....
Carnival Destiny (2)
Carnival Imagination (2)
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Holiday
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Fantasy (3)
Carnival Ecstasy (4)
Caribbean Princess
NCL Starward
Dolphin Cruise
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: compare Carnival to Princess or Norwegian please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger91
what are the big differences? (for those of you who have been on both)

should we expect less?

the prices on carnival are much much less from nyc and it seems like a great deal, just wondering how the experience is, thanks
One should simply not expect the same experience on different lines. I've sailed these three, plus many others. Each has their own area of strenghts and weaknesses. And even within cruise lines one can find a different experience because they change along with itineraries they're sailing, length of cruise, etc.

Whether one is "better" than the other is totally objective... because it depends what determines that for you.

Those who say 1. cruise line is best, yet try to make their case by putting down 2, 3 or 4 are likely the opinions I'd discard first. They're just trying to validate their choice of what's best, by putting down others, rather than discussing what makes their choice best... in their view.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
First Mate

We did them all for ourselves, were back to CCL. You get the same things on all the cruise lines. The food on CCL we like better and the rooms on CCL were larger and that little difference does make a difference. If other people think its a hotel 8 I think its a dam nice hotel 8. We don't really care, they can throw the extra 4 to 6 hundred per cruise away or think they are getting something different or better on other cruise lines. We paid $800 for a Ice Skateing show on RCI, only thing that we did that was different. NCL food was just not to our taste. Princess just cost to much period. Find out for yourselves, you will just pay more money and go to the same places. We are very happy with CCL
Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

thanks for the advice/insight

i think our next cruise will probably be on carnival, we just got a great deal on princess though, $800 after fees for a 9night inside cabin

also, is it just me, or do all the carnival ships look old and almost vintage from the outside?

Carnival Destiny - 2000
Norwegian Dawn - April 2006
Crown Princess - June 2007
Norwegian Gem - March 2008
Caribbean Princess - July 2008
Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Admiral

I've sailed on Carnival and I've stayed in Motel 6 ....NO COMPARISON.
If one was to compare these apples and oranges then at least compare to a nicer hotel, not basic motel. Does motel 6 have formal dining ? room service ? chocolate on the pillow ?
The fun ships are a wonderful vacation....especially for the usually reasonable prices. Next year I'm sailing on a 5 day spring cruise for $430, then about $800 for a 7 day New England in the fall.
I've priced Princess and they demand just too much money. 200% for single traveler supplement. Princess wanted darn near twice of what Carnival charged me for a similar New England itinerary.
Are they THAT much better?

/ticker.png">
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Passenger

We've cruised once on Carnival and once on NCL. We had a great time on both but did notice differences. It was funny.. we were on a shuttle after the cruise with people from all different cruiselines and they were really bashing NCL and Carnival so it's all in the cruiser. Carnival definitely has more of a mixed age crowd whereas NCL was more mature couples but we saw families also. Rooms were larger on NCL in my opinion and the entertainment was good but not quite as glitzy as Carnival. The biggest difference was the freestyle dining. At NCL you can eat whenever and wherever you like. We really enjoyed this because with Carnival we always missed the sunset and leaving port because we were eating or getting ready for dinner. On NCL we did both.. some nights we ate earlier so we could go to the show other nights we sat on deck for the sunset and sailing away from the port. YOu can sit with the same people if you like or mix it up and take what you get. You can even eat just your group which with a small group made seating fast...might be a disadvantage with a larger group. Food was a bit better on Carnival but NCL was good also. Might be I think that because Carnival was our first cruise.
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Admiral

I wonder if the cruise-lines are THAT different or is it subtle nuances.
I've sailed on 3 lines ....Commodore( now kaputt ) , Holland America, and Carnival. Holland American and Carnival according to the travel guides are supposed to be polar opposites. I didn't see it that way HAL is supposed to be "premium" cruising with superior service and food. The food were about equal and I prefer the Carnival staff . I found the cruise directers & social host much better as well.

/ticker.png">
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Captain

my idea is this....

cruise with Carnival 3 times or cruise the others 2 for the same money (if your lucky). Me? I prefer to cruise as much as i can, and Carnival is allowing me to do that.

I might find myself on a Princess or Norwegian next year, but only because Carnival doesnt cruise out of Seattle...and airfare is more reasonable to seattle than Vancouver.
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Admiral

I love Carnival, HAL and NCL. Don't care much for Princess. Just my tastes. But, no, the Carnival ships are not old and outdated. Not sure how you got that impression. There are people who sailed on Carnival decades ago, when they were the bottom of the cruise barrel, and got turned off. I was one of them! Now, its the opposite.
Go...have fun!
Marty
Old June 4th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
......., but only because Carnival doesnt cruise out of Seattle...and airfare is more reasonable to seattle than Vancouver.
You know I've sailed the Alaskan cruise once out of Vancouver and once out of Seattle and I found I liked Seattle better....unlike many.
Flying from the Southeastern US I needed an extra day both ways for my Vancouver cruise due to the international flight status, plus it added another leg to my journey. I live 15 minutes from a small airport and left there at 0630 and arrived in Sea-Tac at 1130 for an afternoon ship's departure. Returning home was equally easy.
The cruise itself was every bit as good as the Vancouver trip the previous year.

/ticker.png">
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Admiral

As one who favors RCCL (a bit) the bottom line on Carnival is always you get more bang for your buck as far as cabins go. The food is fine as is service. The only real negative for me is the sometimes garish decor throughout some of their ships (especially the gigantic anatomically correct statue of David !). They attract a younger crowd than Princess or NCL, but they are a good cruise line.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old June 6th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
Quote:
Carnival - Motel Six

wow kinda harsh?? best motel six i've ever been too, and the rooms must be larger than the "hyatt" since mine was.

Basically, if your a couple with no kids (and older) the princess is for you perhaps, with kids, im thinking carnival seems more kid friendly. I've heard the food is about the same (where rci is not as good food wise).....

i dunno, i love carnival it does tend to be more "fun filled" than other cruise lines i believe if you know what i mean. Just avoid summers and holidays and spring break, you'll love it.
I agree! I have been on the Carribean Princess and the Carnival Valor and believe me....I will take Carnival over Princess everyday of the week!
The beds were better, the service is better and the food MMMMuch better!
The entertainment is more variated and of better quality too!
Happy Cruising
Tim
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old June 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Captain

Quote:
Carnival - Motel Six

Actually its an unfair comparsion since the people who stay at a motel 6 are there generally speaking for differen reasons then the people who stay at a Hyatt.

In the same way you can't compare Carnival to other cruise lines who target market is different for this reason comparing Carnival to Princess (which BTW is also owned by Carnival Corp) is unfair as they are marketing to different segment of the cruising popolation. If they were the same Carnival would not own both.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09