CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   'Freedom' stays in Caribbean; won't go to Europe in 2009 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/352005-freedom-stays-caribbean-wont-go-europe-2009-a.html)

jleq June 6th, 2008 04:56 PM

'Freedom' stays in Caribbean; won't go to Europe in 2009

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080606/clf063.html?.v=55

bguppies June 6th, 2008 05:19 PM

Good for Carnival.

They need to move the ships as close to the people as possible.
(I can't even imagine what airfare to Europe will be next year.)

Adding Baltimore year round with the Pride is the first step.

Adding Charleston and Norfolk year round will be next and ships will need to be moved to those ports. (when the Dream moves in Port Canaveral in fall 2009, the Glory or Sensation can move to one of the new ports.)

After they add Charleston and Norfolk, Carnival will have a port of embarkation about every 4-5 hours up the east coast.

Miami/FLL

Port Canaveral

Jacksonville

Charleston

Norfolk

Baltimore

New York

They need to move some of the log jam of ships out of Miami and FLL, as fewer and fewer people will be able to afford airfare (and baggage charges etc.) to fly to those most distant ports anymore.
Driving to a closer port is definitely a smarter move.

Good for Carnival to see the writing on the wall.

Bill

shlameggy79 June 6th, 2008 05:37 PM

my mom just got a call today that her September 30 2009 cruise on Freedom has been cancelled! So now what, they didn't give her anymore info and she is devestated about losing her Europe cruise!

help please

misguidedangel June 6th, 2008 07:20 PM

I hope they add some bigger ships out of New Orleans and Galveston. I'd love to go out of NOLA, but I don't want to do short 3-5 day cruises, I would do a seven day plus!

Trip June 6th, 2008 08:19 PM

Our Cm bloggers cruise is 2/09, and out of Nola, many of us are doing the back to back..5 days + 4 days..check it out.

Luanne Russo June 6th, 2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shlameggy79
my mom just got a call today that her September 30 2009 cruise on Freedom has been cancelled! So now what, they didn't give her anymore info and she is devestated about losing her Europe cruise!

help please

Tell mom to call Carnival and ask about the Liberty that is said to be doing the same route during this time.

Hopefully all won't be lost.

Good luck

mehawk June 7th, 2008 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I hope they add some bigger ships out of New Orleans and Galveston. I'd love to go out of NOLA, but I don't want to do short 3-5 day cruises, I would do a seven day plus!

They don't get much larger than the Conquest herself. :D Remember, she is in Galveston.

cherylroy June 7th, 2008 01:53 AM

Yes, move some different larger ships to NOLA!! And - go to different places!!!

shlameggy79 June 7th, 2008 08:26 AM

yay she is on liberty now a week earlier. She only got a 50 obc but oh well. The TA fought to keep hte same price, carnival wanted to charge 300 more pp.

thanks everyone!

cherylroy June 7th, 2008 12:58 PM

Its only right to keep the same price!!! We are on that first 8 nighter cruise out of FLL on her - Nov 22. ;-)

skymaster June 8th, 2008 04:53 PM

I'd love to see more ships, and sailings out of Tampa too. The only problem there is that they can't accommodate anything larger than Spirit class because of the Skyway Bridge.

Ken
SkyMaster

mteague June 9th, 2008 09:53 AM

More ships out of New Orleans, with maybe an 8 day and different ports......otherwise they will never pick up a lot of business. Everyone who lives around here has done the Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel thing WAY TOO MANY TIMES!

Melody

Thoth June 10th, 2008 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstill
More ships out of New Orleans, with maybe an 8 day and different ports......otherwise they will never pick up a lot of business. Everyone who lives around here has done the Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel thing WAY TOO MANY TIMES!

Melody

Next year the Conquest out of Galveston will do an Eastern Caribbean itinerary to Key West, Freeport and Nassau. 8)
I agree that Jamaica and Grand Cayman gets old. Cozumel can be tiring if one isn't into Mayan ruins. I for one love Mayan stuff.
Maybe someday New Orleans can get 7 day cruises back, this time rotate Western with Eastern itineraries. :idea:
Being from nearby Mississippi, that would be a hit here.

cherylroy June 10th, 2008 02:32 AM

Wow - really? I'm gonna have to find that one to Nassau, Key West and Freeport. Galveston is 4 hrs from where I live - and with airfare - definitely dooable! LOL

Thoth June 11th, 2008 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylroy
Wow - really? I'm gonna have to find that one to Nassau, Key West and Freeport. Galveston is 4 hrs from where I live - and with airfare - definitely dooable! LOL

Always good to hear that I've said something pleasing. 8)
I saw those Bahamas/Key West intineraries on Carnival's website. The prices seem great as well. $529 double occupancy ( + fuel surcharges, taxes, gratuaties, and so on :roll: ) Dates Feb 15 2009, March 15 2009, March 29 2009, May 17 2009, June 14 2009, July 12 2009, Aug 9 2009, Sept. 20 2009, Oct 18 2009, Nov. 15 2009 and Dec 13 2009.

cherylroy June 11th, 2008 09:22 AM

Wow again! Thanks! Your a Gem!!

Nothin but blue skies June 11th, 2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstill

Melody

I agree with your comment. The sailings from Mobile and New Orleans are so limited. We love Cozumel and Costa Maya, but are getting tired of the same old ports and don't want to fly or drive to South Florida or Galveston just to get a different port. I wish we could get an alternate itinerary to the Bahamas or St Thomas/St Marten out of Mobile or New Orleans.

Snoozeman June 11th, 2008 06:06 PM

Good move (or non move) on Carnivals part. Carnivals market is primarily American passengers. IMHO the European market will look to other lines before it looks to CCL. And CCL will still have Europe covered for Americans.

Libragirl June 12th, 2008 02:03 PM

We are booked for a Transatlantic and Med. cruise on the Liberty in Nov. 2009. We haven't heard anything about it being cancelled. Does anyone know anything about it? We have been thinking about changing it to a different European cruise, and now we may have to. :(

Libragirl