Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Question about Miami vs Fort Lauderdale airports and hotels

I am looking to book our flights, I am finding that flying into F.L. airport is cheaper. I also like the airport better. We cruise out of Miami in Jan. 09. How far is the Miami port from the F.L. airport and if we stay in a hotel do you suggest F.L.??? Do the hotel's in F.L. shuttle to and from the Miami port?? There well be four of us. Thanks for any info or input!!! Peace, Lynn
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=11&year=2011&day=30&hour=16:00[img]Carnaval Freedom
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Lynn - its about a 45 min distance. Where are you cruising out of? Miami airport is absolutely WILD - and I can't say that loud enough. My suggestion if you do get a flight from Miami - on the return trip give you PLENTY of time. Last time, there were like 6 cruise ships that docked that day and ALL those passengers were in the Miami airport! Lines were so long! Thats one reason why I'm glad we are sailing out of FLL. Last time I flew into Miami because it was about 100 cheaper per person. I would much rather fly into FLL now! I have a hotel booked at Hampton Inn in FLL which shuttles to and from the airport and to the terminal.
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Question about Miami vs Fort Lauderdale airports and hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
I am looking to book our flights, I am finding that flying into F.L. airport is cheaper. I also like the airport better. We cruise out of Miami in Jan. 09. How far is the Miami port from the F.L. airport and if we stay in a hotel do you suggest F.L.??? Do the hotel's in F.L. shuttle to and from the Miami port?? There well be four of us. Thanks for any info or input!!! Peace, Lynn
Fort Lauderdale hotels do not shuttle to Miami, or vice versa. You need to weigh if the cost of taking a shuttle or taxi from Fort Lauderdale to Miami (about $50 each way) is worth it depending on how much you save by flying into Fort Lauderdale instead of Miami. If you're cruising out of Miami, unless the flight into Fort Lauderdale is SIGNIFICANTLY less money, it's probably not worth it.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Oh - I agree -- cruising out of Miami? Fly into Miami. Cruising out of FLL, fly into FLL. We took a taxi from Miami to FLL hotel and because of the traffic and delays, it cost us 95.00!! Keep that in mind.
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Passenger

I am flying into FLL day before the cruise and renting a car from Dollar. $44 for the day (+gas ). Drop off will be in Miami. This way I have a car for errands and last minute runs to the grocery.
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:55 AM
First Mate

We fly into Fort Lauderdale because we use Southwest almost exclusively. On 2 of our trips we flew into FTL the day before then took a town car to Newport Beachside Resort on Sunny Isles ($35-$40 plus tip) and spent and evening and morning on the beach. On the morning of the cruise about another $35 plus tip to taxi to the Miami port. Arrived at 11:30 and on the ship by noon.

After the cruise about $50 to taxi back. I think the Carnival bus back is $35 per person but it includes a South Beach tour. We’re doing the same next month with our nieces except we are going back to Newport Beachside Resort and fly back on the next morning.

One trip we rented a car in FTL and stayed near South Beach then returned the car to a rental location in a hotel downtown and they shuttled us to the port. That worked out really well. Enjoyed the beach, hit the shopping area and drove around checking out the sites.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Passenger

Try http://www.floridalimo.com/

I believe Trip posted this some time ago, and I always kept the info.

I, too, have been looking at flights for Jan. '09 either to Fort Lauderdale or Miami. We're looking at a cruise out of Miami also.

Prices are crazy for flights.

Claudia
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Admiral

A word of advice about motels, be careful ! In 2006 I found a great deal in Fort Lauderdale. When I arrived I discovered that I was in ghetto.
Do your research and pay more if you have to.

Last time I used Carnival's air and all transfers were included. No motel needed! Interesting enough I flew into Miami and out of Fort Lauderdale.
FLL seems like an easier airport.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM
First Mate

We try to plan cruises around FLL if we can. Just easier. This past April, we stayed at the Doubletree Galleria in FLL and found it to be wonderful. $139.00 per nite thru hotwire. We could not have been happier. The suite had a great view of the intercoastal and was a short walk to the beach. Really, I could have stayed there for a week. We even loved the hotel restaurant.
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In Fll, I have found the most convenient place to stay is on A1A, right around the port area....In all my years there, I only found one place where I walked in, and walked out once I saw the room...there is a vast price range for all pockets too.

If you do stay in this area, you will find reataurants, and a shopping area, with a super market, that you can walk to, and save on renting a car. This market,[Publix] has nice shops and restautrants right there, & is adjacent to Amerisuites.

I also prefer to fly into Fll, price wise it is "usally" less than Miami, but we also like to precruise, & rent a car.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 14th, 2008, 03:56 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
Fort Lauderdale hotels do not shuttle to Miami, or vice versa. You need to weigh if the cost of taking a shuttle or taxi from Fort Lauderdale to Miami (about $50 each way) is worth it depending on how much you save by flying into Fort Lauderdale instead of Miami. If you're cruising out of Miami, unless the flight into Fort Lauderdale is SIGNIFICANTLY less money, it's probably not worth it.
You don't know how to work the system.

1. Fly into Fort Lauderdale and book the transfer from the airport to/from the Miami Cruiseport with Carnival.

2. Take the free shuttle from FLL to your hotel, then take the free shuttle back to the airport the next day (or whenever) to pick up the shuttle.

We stay at the Comfort Inn on Sterling Road. They will even drop us off at the arrivals level so that we do not have to go through the departing herd.

3. Upon return from cruise, take the Carnival transfer to FLL, then either board your flight or go to your hotel.

I have used this mechanism four or five times - the transfer costs $20 or $25 pp one way, so its cheaper than taking a taxi to the Miami Cruiseport.

As for the rule of fly into the airport that is nearest the cruiseport you are leaving from, flights to Miami can cost twice what flights to FLL cost.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSFP
You don't know how to work the system.

1. Fly into Fort Lauderdale and book the transfer from the airport to/from the Miami Cruiseport with Carnival.

2. Take the free shuttle from FLL to your hotel, then take the free shuttle back to the airport the next day (or whenever) to pick up the shuttle.

We stay at the Comfort Inn on Sterling Road. They will even drop us off at the arrivals level so that we do not have to go through the departing herd.

3. Upon return from cruise, take the Carnival transfer to FLL, then either board your flight or go to your hotel.

I have used this mechanism four or five times - the transfer costs $20 or $25 pp one way, so its cheaper than taking a taxi to the Miami Cruiseport.

As for the rule of fly into the airport that is nearest the cruiseport you are leaving from, flights to Miami can cost twice what flights to FLL cost.
Or, you can walk the entire way for free!

Each person has the way they want to do transfers, but it seems to me that they way you have it set up here is multiple shuttle transfers. When I'm on vacation, I'd rather just get to where I'm going. I don't take any cruiseline's shuttle, because I don't want to sit on a shuttle bus for on hour plus waiting for the bus to fill up. I don't see the purpose of going from my hotel BACK to the airport to catch yet another shuttle to my ship, but to each his/her own.

If you read my original post carefully, I told the OP that they need to weigh the costs of the transfers or a taxi verses what they save on the flights. It's up to them if taking multiple shuttles to save money is worth it to them, it wouldn't be to me unless the savings were REALLY significant.

As for the cost of flights into FLL or MIA, depends on where you are flying from. Here in Chicago, flights to FLL and MIA don't usually vary by more than $50. For myself and my vacation, I'd rather pay the little extra money to fly non-stop into the closest airport and go right to my ship or hotel, not shuttle all over the place.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Admiral

I flew into both FLL and MIA. If I can get a cheaper rate to FLL I'll book that. However it has cost me $85. to cab it from FLL to MIA Port.
I prefer to fly into the airport that is close to the ship even it is a few dollars more if it is a big difference in dollars then I'll consider another airport.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 16th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale airport and my sister and her friend are renting a car and driving to a Miami hotel which has a free shuttle to the Port of Miami.
Ecstasy - 2013