CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Cabins below civilization on Carnival Triumph?? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/352105-cabins-below-civilization-carnival-triumph.html)

bhf108 June 9th, 2008 01:50 PM

Cabins below civilization on Carnival Triumph??

Question:

How are the cabins on Riviera and Main on the Triumph? They're so low, I'm afraid all we'll hear is the engines roaring. The decent looking decks seem to be Empress and Verandah, but they're a bit high and some of my party are prone to motion sickness. Eeny, meeny, miny, moe..

Thanks for any help!

ScurvyDog June 9th, 2008 01:57 PM

Nothing wrong with the Riveria or Main. A midship cabin on Riveria will be a great choice if motion sickness is a concern. Engine noise also will not be a concern with a midship cabin.
p.s.
Yes there is life down there... :shock:

Boston Rob June 9th, 2008 02:16 PM

Hey, bhf108! Believe it or not, the higher you are, the less the center of gravity. I'll give you a prime example. First of all, I work for Carnival as a host. I was recently on the Miracle this past April when we did the relocation cruise from Miami to N.Y.. No guests and no rules for 2 straight days. It was going to be awesome! Non stop partying. Seriously. The dancers were going to perform a show for us, we were to eat in the main dining room with the professional waitstaff waiting on us, crew bingo, crew karaoke, etc... We were also warned about the 20 foot swells we were to encounter in the Atlantic and boy oh boy did we encounter them. When crew members get sick you know it's rough. I, myself, had a cabin on deck A, just below civilization, forward (front of the the ship). It got so bad, I had to move up to deck 4, midship to get any sort of sleep possible. It was still bad, don't get me wrong, but nothing could compare to being down below, forward. So, to make a long story short, if you're worried about motion sickness, the higher the better. Happy cruising!!

Style2k7 June 9th, 2008 06:11 PM

Verandah is right under the Lido deck and can be a little noisy we have chairs being moved at 2:30 am and during the day the lido is full of people and can be noisy as well.

skymaster June 9th, 2008 07:04 PM

Personally, I love Riviera or Main decks, as long as the cabin is at least 10 cabins from the bow, or 10 cabins from the stern. I find these cabins to be the quietest, and the smoothest, and quite frankly, the most affordable! Have no fear with the Riviera or Main deck cabins. :D

Ken
"SkyMaster"

misguidedangel June 9th, 2008 09:04 PM

Boston Rob--I remember you. You were on the Victory in Jan 07..I had a damn good time. You and the other social hosts kept us busy!!!..Whatever happened to Ian, aka Peaches?...

As for deck choices--the higher the better!!!! Deck 8-10 balcony near the central atrium elevators--gotta love those glass elevators!!!! (or the fact there is 10 elevators at the central atrium)...

hurricane girl June 9th, 2008 10:10 PM

Just got off Triumph a week ago...stayed on Rivera deck and loved it..no problems at all!!! Slept like a baby. :wink:

cruisecouple June 10th, 2008 12:58 AM

Triumph is a big ship. Not to worry about the deck plans due to the size of the ship. We were mid ship Upper last October on Triumph and loved it. I slept more soundly than I did on Liberty just a few weeks ago.

bhf108 June 10th, 2008 01:19 AM

cruisecouple - why shouldn't one heed the deck plans if its a large ship? Please enlighten, and which deck were you on? Thanks!

skymaster June 10th, 2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhf108
cruisecouple - why shouldn't one heed the deck plans if its a large ship? Please enlighten, and which deck were you on? Thanks!

He says he was mid ship on Upper deck. I think that's deck 6..

Ken
"SKY"

Paul Motter June 10th, 2008 01:00 PM

Boston Rob...

I also worked on ships, and have traveled on many as a passenger as well. I am sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment that higher is better.

BTW: I also did a Miami to NY cruise in December once on the HAL Statendam. We hit very rough weather.

First we need definitions: pitching & rolling. Pitching is the up & down motion that happens when a ship is perpendicular to the waves, sailing into them. This is the preferred way to sail into rough weather.
Rolling is the side to side motion you get when sailing parallel to the swells. This cause the ship to rock from side to side. This is less-prefered way to sail, but sometimes it is necessary.

Ship stabilizers can only reduce rolling, not pitching, because they are "wings" that come out from the hull and reduce the roll of the ship.

You were experiencing pitching, the feeling of the floor dropping out from under you. You felt better after you moved because you went more mid-ships, not because you went higher. The front of the ship is the worst place for motion because of pitching. Mid-ships is where you feel the least pitching. You feel some at the stern, but not as much.

Rolling is actually minimized the lower you go on a ship, it is simple physics. Picture a ship tipping side to side on its keel. The angle is the same on every floor, but you have more excursion from one side to the other the higher you go. So you spend more time "traveling" from left to right. The lower you go the less you feel the change in angle.

Add stabilizers and a ship in high seas may not roll at all, but it is still going to pitch.

Therefore, the best place on a ship is mid-ships and LOW decks. If you are on A-deck (the lowest crew deck) you will hardly feel a roll at all.

SeaWench June 10th, 2008 01:24 PM

I was about to say the same thing. I think people think "higher" is better because they cost more. But infact the lower decks are the more stable decks to be on. I have stayed on riviera and main and they are perfectly fine. I have also stayed on Empress which was fine too, but we had freakishly calm seas. I had never seen the ocean glassy for a whole week.

Irish Shark June 10th, 2008 03:20 PM

Background: The prevalence of motion sickness approaches 100%on rough seas. Some previous studies have reported a strong association between location on a ship and the risk of motion sickness, whereas other studies found no association. This study was undertaken to determine if there is a statistical association between the location of the passenger cabin on a ship and the risk of motion sickness in unadapted passengers.

Method: Data were collected on 260 passengers on an expedition ship traversing the Drake Passage between South America and Antarctica, during rough sea conditions. A standard scale was employed to record motion sickness severity.

Results: The risk of motion sickness was found to be statistically associated with age and sex. However, no association was found with the location of the passenger cabin.

Conclusions: Previous research reporting a strong association of motion sickness and passenger location on a ship, studied passengers in the seated position. Passengers who are able to lie in a supine position are at considerably reduced risk of motion sickness. Expedition or cruise ships that provide ready access to berths, allow passengers to avoid the most nauseogenic positions. The location of the passenger cabin does not appear to be related to the likelihood of seasickness.

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...060.2000.00042

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/act...42&cookieSet=1

chawana June 15th, 2008 10:32 PM

My DH and I will be sailing on June 22, 2008 on the Triumph and will have the pleasure of being on the Upper Deck Aft S(balcony). How is that deck?
Thanks

chawana June 15th, 2008 10:36 PM

My DH and I will be sailing on June 22, 2008 on the Triumph and will have the pleasure of being on the Upper Deck Aft S(balcony). How is that deck?
Thanks

BunkoBabe June 15th, 2008 11:14 PM

I too am at the very bottom of the ship and toward the back. Sounds like I have a pretty good spot. My sister decided to move up 2 decks. (upper)

nurseypoo5 June 17th, 2008 07:02 AM

i LOVED my riveria ocean view on the Ecstasy in Jan! I was mid ship and the ship was rocking and rolling all cruise, my friends in the pent house got sea sick, while it was very gentle for us. We occassionaly heard a very soothing hum from the engines, but things like cieling fans whirling irritate me and this didnt.

Go for it, plus no disco over you :)

Joe323 June 17th, 2008 12:01 PM

Think of the ship as a lever the top part swings a greater distance then the bottom part.

Paul Motter June 17th, 2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Background: The prevalence of motion sickness approaches 100%on rough seas.

Method: Data were collected on 260 passengers on an expedition ship traversing the Drake Passage between South America and Antarctica, during rough sea conditions. A standard scale was employed to record motion sickness severity.

I don't know what this vessel was, but at 250 passengers it could be as small as 200 feet long and four decks high. Considering a small vessel in one of the most notoriously rough spots in the world I am not surprised at this conclusion. I believe the study, but it implies that once you pass a certain amount of motion almost no one is immune to it. Small boats generally rock about the same no matter where you are because there isn't much distance between the fore & aft or top to bottom.

But we are talking about cruise ships or liners that are 1000 feet long and have stabilizers. And the area they are sailing is rarely as rough as Drake's passage.

Under what is considered rough for usual cruise conditions, I would say location makes a huge difference in a much larger vessel.

KACORPARENTS June 17th, 2008 08:32 PM

Riviera

We stayed on the Riviera deck on the imagination. I am the type of person that if I look at a swingset I get motion sickness. I had no problems whatsoever in the cabin we had. I took the normal sea sickness patch and was fine on our 5 day cruise. Enjoy and you will be fine and money ahead.

bhf108 June 17th, 2008 11:28 PM

So when it comes to combating seasickness on the high seas, it's established that the midship-lower it is, the better.

But what about the situation with the engines? Would that all be solved with the same cabin position as well? Thanks guys.

ScurvyDog June 17th, 2008 11:32 PM

Midship Riveria is probably the quietest place on the ship.

Irish Shark June 18th, 2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter
I don't know what this vessel was, but at 250 passengers it could be as small as 200 feet long and four decks high. Considering a small vessel in one of the most notoriously rough spots in the world I am not surprised at this conclusion. I believe the study, but it implies that once you pass a certain amount of motion almost no one is immune to it. Small boats generally rock about the same no matter where you are because there isn't much distance between the fore & aft or top to bottom.

But we are talking about cruise ships or liners that are 1000 feet long and have stabilizers. And the area they are sailing is rarely as rough as Drake's passage.

Under what is considered rough for usual cruise conditions, I would say location makes a huge difference in a much larger vessel.

I would say that your comments support the study and puts the urban myth of location in an even less creditable position.

If the smaller vessel pitches and rolls much more than a 1000 ft. cruise ship, that would equate to the larger ship sailing in 50ft. waves and 150 mph winds. It would be same as the smaller vessel sailing through Drake's Passage thus negating the length argument.

On the Golden Princess we hit seas out of Stanley with 115 mph winds and 50ft. waves. It did not make any difference where you were on the ship. The pitch and roll was the most that I have ever experienced.

All I can say is that if folks buy the location theory, then book an inside in the belly of the ship and hope for the best.

Joe323 June 18th, 2008 05:10 PM

The newer Carnival ships including the triumph (I believe) all use the azipod propulsion system, which puts the engines in a seperate rotating pod under ship this eliminates most of the noise and vibration.