Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Passenger

Default First time cruiser

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on these boards but after lurking awhile I knew this was the place to get some of my questions answered. I have a ton of questions but I'm going to just start with a few My husband has wanted to go on a cruise for a long time and I've always said no, (I'm a chicken) but for his upcoming 40th birthday I thought well nows the time to put my fears aside and do this! We will have another couple going with us as well and it's their first cruise also. My first question is what level we should be on? I know I want a cabin with a window and an unobstructive view (any specific cabins you can recomend). Second question is for anyone who's been on the Fascination, what's your opion of this ship? Also would you use a TA or just go through Carnival to book? Wow those just are the tip of the ice berg of questions I have I hope that was not to many for a first timer. Thanks for any help you all can offer.
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Admiral

First off, WELCOME. We're glad you're here, and I think I can speak for 99% of us "Cruise Nuts" when I say that we have no doubt you'll enjoy your first cruise, and book another soon.
I'd recommend that your cabin be on either Riviera, or Main deck, mid ship, and in a cabin that doesn't have the bunks available. (This gives you a little bit more space). Perhaps cabin R115, 119, or 123, or perhaps M122, 126 or 130. These will give you a smooth, quiet ride, and won't hurt your budget either.
As far as using an agent, or going directly to the cruise line,,,that's a toss up IMO. I have an agent that I use, but I know her very well, and she knows exactly what I like, and do not like. Why don't you go to Cruisecompete.com, and see what they come up with. If nothing else, this will give you a good idea of what the cruise should cost.
I haven't been on Fascination in a long time, and she is an older ship, but I think it's a GREAT choice for your first cruise. I know the ship is in good shape, and the crew, food, and entertainment will be wonderful.
Any more questions, ask away, and once again, welcome!

Ken
"Sky"
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Captain

What port do you want to leave from and where do you want to go?. We live in Alabama and Mobile and Jacksonville, Fl are within a 4 hour drive for us.

Irish 8)
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old June 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the warm welcome and all of the great advice. Sky do the cabins you mentioned have windows? I do want to be able to look out and not be right down "on" the water or down in it And Irish to answer your question we'll leave out of Jacksonville, it's less then 2 hours for us to drive there. By the way where do we park and what does it cost. I also noticed that the boat sails at 4 do we get there like an hour before or can we board like 2 or 3 hours early? Thanks again everyone.
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Hi
We will be on the Fascination's first run out of Jax on Sept 20. Have been on Fascination several times before and really enjoyed but it's been a couple of years. I'm sure she will be up to par with any needed refit and be ready for her new assignment. There is a parking lot at the JaxPort Cruise Terminal within easy walking distance. Cost is $12 per day (subject to change by port authority). Usually you can start boarding between 11 & 12 P.M. Lunch will be waiting on the Lido Deck. Cabins are usually available about 1:30.
58 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Admiral

I'm a friend of the 11AM boarding. However, sometimes you have to wait getting there that early, if the crew has trouble getting the previous cruisers off the ship. When you look at the Ship chart the lowest cabins are crew cabins. These cabins are on main deck M122, 126 or 130 and a little higher. These are all oceanview cabins and have a window (not a porthole).

Oceanview Cabin

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Admiral

I think the above "Mates" pretty well answered your questions. Yep, these cabins will absolutely be above the water line,,,,and yes, they are cabins with a window. I just picked mid-ship cabins to give you an idea of where on the deck I'd recommend you book. The cabins on Main deck will be a bit better, IMO than those on Riviera, but either would be good.
I'd suggest getting to the port between 11 A.M., and about 2 P.M. I've not sailed out of Jax, but the price to park at all the other ports has just gone up to $15 per day, so prepare for that shock!

Ken
"Sky"

P.S. You might want to log into cruisedeckplans.com to get an idea of how the cabins are positioned on your ship.