CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Prepaid tips (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/352446-prepaid-tips.html)

I'm on holiday June 18th, 2008 08:16 PM

Prepaid tips

Opting to prepay the tips sounds like a good idea. Convenient for sure. Is it REALLY a good thing, or does it open things up to lousy service?

Your thoughts/experiences are welcomed!

ScurvyDog June 18th, 2008 08:42 PM

I think it will make absolutely no difference. Not sure I see any advantage unless you want your cabin bill to be lower by that amount.

Trip June 18th, 2008 08:56 PM

It's much easier to do this, then, if need, they can be adjusted up or down at your discretion,

cruzaddict June 18th, 2008 11:03 PM

I've done both and found prepaid to be beneficial. I like to prepay the excursions and gratuities, buy drink tickets for alcoholic drinks (since we don't drink much it is easily taken care of before hand), buy photo coupons for a few photos, etc. The more that is paid during the months leading up to the cruise the better - IMO!

As far as opening up things for lousy service, I always just figured that the cabin stewards and waiters are not informed of which guests have prepaid and which haven't - on sailing after sailing that is a lot of unnecessary communication. Besides, they know that we guests can go get tip monies removed if the service is not up to par. Again, just my opinion.

jlauntz June 18th, 2008 11:18 PM

I think that it HAS lead to less than stellar service.

cruzaddict June 18th, 2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlauntz
I think that it HAS lead to less than stellar service.

Oh I agree that the whole concept of "automatic" charges for tips has led to a decrease in level of service. I'm not sure, however, whether it matters if you pre-pay prior to sailing or pay on your sail & sign card - That shouldn't affect your level of service. BUT maybe the staff IS aware of which guests have prepaid and which haven't. :?:

skymaster June 19th, 2008 06:59 AM

I can't see how knowing which guests "pre-pay" and which guests leave the tips on their "sign-n-sail" card would make any difference to the cabin steward, or anyone else??? I can see that leaving you're gratuities on the sign-n-sail, or just handing it over in an envelope WOULD make a difference. In the latter, the cabin steward doesn't know what the amount would be,,,if any,,,and perhaps would work a little harder in hopes of bumping the tip amount up a bit. I always just leave the tips on the sign-n-sail, and hand over a bit extra when it's called for.... Seems to work for me.

Ken
"Sky"

lhp June 19th, 2008 10:43 AM

We prepaid our tips for the first time on the Legend last month.

And we also prepaid them for our upcoming cruise.

We did not see any different in service on the Legend. It simply appears on your Sail and Sign as a credit.

However, I would suggest that if you do this...make sure you take your receipt showing the prepaid tips with you.

After day three, it still was not posted on our Sail and Sign and we had to have the Purser's Desk fax our receipt to the corporate office.

ferrangi June 19th, 2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruzaddict
I've done both and found prepaid to be beneficial. I like to prepay the excursions and gratuities, buy drink tickets for alcoholic drinks (since we don't drink much it is easily taken care of before hand), buy photo coupons for a few photos, etc. The more that is paid during the months leading up to the cruise the better - IMO!

I agree. We are doing the same thing now. We prepaid tips, bought drink/photo coupons etc.... we even applied money to our obc already.
It's going to take a load off my mind during my cruise... :wink:

CruiseNOID June 19th, 2008 02:10 PM

We went ahead and prepaid the tips. For one that is $80 that I have not already racked up on the SnS card. For second, I will tip additional when the service warrants it. It's the little things that make the difference between service and stellar service. I keep the outlook of "do unto others as you would do unto yourself".

dottiel June 19th, 2008 06:16 PM

We have always pre paid excursions and tips. Never have we received less that awesome service by doing this.

How in the world would the stewards know who has paid and who hasn't? Like it's any of their business?

We like knowing that that is one expense we don't have to worry about at the end of the cruise. It's just taken care of!

ferrangi June 20th, 2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruiseNOID
We went ahead and prepaid the tips. For one that is $80 that I have not already racked up on the SnS card. For second, I will tip additional when the service warrants it. It's the little things that make the difference between service and stellar service. I keep the outlook of "do unto others as you would do unto yourself".

Agreed!! :wink: