Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Captain

Default why do people use a PVP from carnival??

So many people use the PVP's but i'm not sure i understand why. If you look on line you can almost always find other "agents" that give the cruise to you cheaper WITH paid taxes and port fee's while carnival only shows the price BEFORE taxes and fees. I'm not sure why people think its the same price as, say vacations to go or cruisecompete.

Can someone enlighten me? Is it that carnival advertises higher prices but the PVP lowers it or throws in the taxes/port fees? I'm confoogled.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
First Mate

I believe that might just be the case. I never go by the price that is posted on the web site. It seems that every time I call I can get the cruise at a cheaper rate.

Read and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I haven't had to deal with PVP's for booking a cruise, I will use a local TA instead because of travel insurance reasons. I can't buy the amount of travel insurance I need if I book it through a PVP, but I cna if I go through a TA. I will use a TA for my Sept 09 cruise on the Splendor.

I toyed with the idea of using a PVP for the next, but I found out that it will cost me more to get insurance if I go that way as I will have trip cancellation/medical and then air cancellation on a separate plan! I'd end up paying more....

I heard they are downsizing the PVP's and trying to promote the use of TA's instead....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old June 22nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Passenger

I booked 3 cabins using Carnival's PVP. Not only was the deal he gave me better than the posted one on their website, but he also got a $300 per cabin OBC authorized a week before we sailed due to a price drop. Checked many different TAs in the area and Carnivals own had them beat at the time.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
First Mate

I have always called Carnival to compare prices that are advertised on Expedia etc and then called my TA and booked with her. If she doesn't have the same price she is always able to match it or usually she has a lower price. Plus when we board she always sends us a bottle of wine and we usually get some type of OBC or other offer when we book. Not to mention I have known my TA for 17yrs and trust her advise since we have booked all our travel with her.
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Old June 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Captain

Default Re: why do people use a PVP from carnival??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
So many people use the PVP's but i'm not sure i understand why. If you look on line you can almost always find other "agents" that give the cruise to you cheaper WITH paid taxes and port fee's while carnival only shows the price BEFORE taxes and fees. I'm not sure why people think its the same price as, say vacations to go or cruisecompete.
Iv used VTG 3 times and only once got a better price from them, once they said the price was down $4 pp or something. Iv never gotten a discount from them. Now they are trying to get me back with an offer of a free bottle of wine. The last time the wine never made it and they charged me full price??

Why not just book thru the cruiseline? VTG also has a bad rep for giving back money if the price drops, or at least thats my experience. Iv heard the same thing about booking thru Travelocity, hard to get OBC if the price drops.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

You do NOT have to purchase trip insurance through carnival if you book with a PVP, you can purchase travel insurance on your own and get much better deals.
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

Let's just say we called Carnival and when it comes down to it we have not gotten or seen a better deal anywhere. OV guar 459/pp. I will say that we were EXTREMELY disappointed of our cabin assignments (fact that DH is a past cruiser 5-6 times with CCL, and had 2 other additional couples book after we initally booked). We ended up on the riveria deck just about as far aft as you can go on the side of the ship. When we booked the PVP said that it was a guarantee of the Upper deck and oh yes, you will get the upgrade BLAH BLAH BLAH speech. So low and behold we ended up paying an additional 30/pp to get on the upper deck but now this time it is truly an aft cabin!!!!!!!!!!! Live and Learn!!!

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:55 PM
First Mate

We get 3 prices, just make sure you have all the fees in your price. Then we call our PVP and book the cruise. You may get a bottle of wine or some other item but we don't care about that. We book our insurance after we check out the prices with several insurance co. If anybody has a lower price CCL we give the same price. Nobody has ever beat the military price from CCL. Make sure you are useing apples to apples when you get your prices. I like to play around with some of the different cruise outlets. We did this the last 7 cruises. We book out 1 year and then get our air as soon as we can get it. It does make a difference. Have done very well with prices and can get the cabin we want.
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseNOID
Let's just say we called Carnival and when it comes down to it we have not gotten or seen a better deal anywhere. OV guar 459/pp. I will say that we were EXTREMELY disappointed of our cabin assignments (fact that DH is a past cruiser 5-6 times with CCL, and had 2 other additional couples book after we initally booked). We ended up on the riveria deck just about as far aft as you can go on the side of the ship. When we booked the PVP said that it was a guarantee of the Upper deck and oh yes, you will get the upgrade BLAH BLAH BLAH speech. So low and behold we ended up paying an additional 30/pp to get on the upper deck but now this time it is truly an aft cabin!!!!!!!!!!! Live and Learn!!!
wait, so im confused...did you get the "disappointed cabin" thru carnivals pvp or thru another company. You say you havent gotten a better deal thru anyone else, but then you complained, is the complaint with carnival or another site. sorry, just confused.
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseNOID
I will say that we were EXTREMELY disappointed of our cabin assignments (fact that DH is a past cruiser 5-6 times with CCL, and had 2 other additional couples book after we initally booked).
I suspect that the couples who booked after you did paid more for their guarantees. I think how much you pay goes into the equation more so than the fact that you are past guests.

Sounds like you are saying your friends who booked after you did got better cabins and had cruised less? Even if you are platinum, I dont know that that would have helped. Carnival has also been stingier with their upgrades lately? Maybe PVPs are to blame for encouraging folks to think they will for sure get upgraded at least a few decks for free with a guarantee.
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Admiral

We used a TA for many years.

About the same time she retired, Uncle Bob sent me a letter about an issue we had contacted him about and said HE would have someone calling us.

The PVP called us with a "we are sorry" deal (which we took) and we have been using him every since.

We used to get the Interline rates and our PVP would hook us up with those automatically. And if the price goes down before the final payment, he reduces it automatically. If it goes down after the final payment, he gives us OBC.

He used to send us tshirts and stuff, but I told him not to send us anything that cost him money out of his pocket. I all wanted from him was to do the Price Watch for me....and he has.

We have been very pleased.

The down side to a PVP is if you ever want to cruise ANOTHER cruise line...then of course they can't help you there.

TAs can't advertise a lower price, but they CAN (and do) cut their commission to get your business. Of course, PVP's can't do this.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND