Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
By sneaking booze onboard is the same as keeping employees and the crusieline from making money. Purchasing services makes the economy go round. What if no one chose to purchase what services you provide in your working life? You would not eat. This is what you are doing to them when you sneak it onboard.
I'm with Mehawk
If ya cant' handle paying about 50 bucks for bottles of alcohol provided by the line, cruising ain't for you.

By the way, 50 bucks is the DIFFERENCE between 5 bottles of name brand booze smuggled/seized and buying a bar set up.
Rinker is the one who told me about the bar set up. Thank you Rinker on Carnival it is a well kept secret. I think that want people to buy per drink at $6.95 a pop.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Admiral

I understand where everyone is coming from but can anyone tell me this?
How is right that they can take your order for a drink, charge you regular price and don't add any alcohol??
And they don't tell you?
Now I've heard this from several CMs and I would like to know... is it true? or is this a rumor that hasn't been proven?
Because, if I left my $10 bottle of booze at home, and paid Carnival's price for a drink at the bar, (many drinks) it sure better have alcohol in it, without me having to ask for it, or tip higher...!
But hey, that's just my personal opinion..
By the way, I've already purchased serval drink coupons.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old July 10th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Passenger

Default Bar set up?

Please tell me what the bar set up is???

I have to agree with Ferrangi (sp?)... I don't mind paying for drinks as long as they taste like they have alcohol in them. I think its sort of funny that the first night of the cruise those drinks are so strong and then every night there after it tastes like straight mix. So I am wondering who is cheating who???

As for sneaking liqour on board... I wouldn't do it because it is just a huge hassle probably getting caught and having to mix your own drink. Now, if there is a way to save money and have good drinks I'd like to know about that!!!
Old July 10th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Admiral

A bar set up is when you order bottles of booze from the ship. They will be waiting in your cabin when you arrive. I always have our travel agent arrange this for us but I hear you can do it direct with some of the lines.
This subject has been brought up here about eleventy nine times.
Punch "alcohol" in the search engine and there is a lot of info.

BTW, on HAL you can order bottles from the room service menu while underway.
Old July 10th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

With the cost of taking too many suitcases now, i wonder if it's worth having my suitcase filled up with booze !!! I think i'll save my suitcase room for the clothes i need . It really is more convenient and safer to order a bottle to be sent to your cabin ...Just a thought !!!
Voyager -Nov09
Celebrity Summit - Jan09
Carnival Legend - Sept08
Serenade of the Seas - Feb07,May09
Celebrity Infinity - Aug06
Adventure of the Seas - Feb08,Jan06,Sept06
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Beginner

thank you everyone for your replys. but there is one problem we are only 16 years old therefore there will be no purchasing of alcohol on board for us. hence why i posted about sneaking on board.
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiewelsh
thank you everyone for your replys. but there is one problem we are only 16 years old therefore there will be no purchasing of alcohol on board for us. hence why i posted about sneaking on board.
Yeah, I'd say that makes a difference.

You're still gonna be with parents or guardians, right?

Not much fun getting shnockered up and sitting in your cabin.
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I picked up on your age immediately, but decided not to comment..Better keep your parents away from your suitcase:(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 10th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Captain

Quote:
duh....... get a grip kid, drink lemonade!
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
Quote:
duh....... get a grip kid, drink lemonade!
Agreed!!

Old July 11th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Bar set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany123
Please tell me what the bar set up is???

I have to agree with Ferrangi (sp?)... I don't mind paying for drinks as long as they taste like they have alcohol in them. I think its sort of funny that the first night of the cruise those drinks are so strong and then every night there after it tastes like straight mix. So I am wondering who is cheating who???

As for sneaking liqour on board... I wouldn't do it because it is just a huge hassle probably getting caught and having to mix your own drink. Now, if there is a way to save money and have good drinks I'd like to know about that!!!
Here is the information on order from Carnival BTW you can not order these bottles once underway. That must be a HAL thing.

A lot of people don't know you can buy full sized bottles of rum, vodka, etc from the Bon Voyage Dept. per cruise. I just found out recently. Rum with the Fruit Punch from the buffet is very good. A liter size bottle will rum you about $40 (last time I checked). That is more expensive than on land, but cheaper than having the bottle of rum you tried to sneak on taken away and have to buy full priced drinks the whole trip. From Carnival's website:
"You can reach our BonVoyage/Gifts and Services Department by telephone, toll free, at 1-800-522-7648 during the following hours:

Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:30pm, Eastern Time

Phone orders are accepted up to one week prior to sailing. Visa, MasterCard, Discover® Network and American Express accepted."

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I beleive you have violated the terms of service for cruisemates by posting this topic as though you were over 21 years old. It's up to cruisemates Mods how they want to proceed. I will report this post and let them decide.

Conduct
CruiseMates encourages active and open debate among our members. All we ask is that it's done in a lawful and civil manner. Accordingly, you agree to use CruiseMates for the terms in this agreement only. You may not use or allow others to use your computer to:

Post or transmit any content that is abusive, vulgar, obscene, hateful, fraudulent, threatening, harassing, defamatory or which discloses private or personal matters concerning any person, company or legal entity. This includes CruiseMates and its Staff.

Post or transmit any material that you don't have the right to transmit under law (such as copyright, or trade secrets) or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as nondisclosure agreements).

Post, transmit or link to sexually explicit material;

Impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It seems to me the poster sufficiently made enough of a fool of himself that no further comment from us is necessary.

He doesn't even appear to be bright enough to have posted this in the teen area where he would have not stood out like a sore thumb. They would have informed him of the rules, but without the embarassment.
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Kat,
I'm glad you brought up the rules.
I just felt deceived.

The lack of puncuation and capitalization was a hint of immaturity but I just assumed the OP was lazy.
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsmom
With the cost of taking too many suitcases now, i wonder if it's worth having my suitcase filled up with booze !!! I think i'll save my suitcase room for the clothes i need . It really is more convenient and safer to order a bottle to be sent to your cabin ...Just a thought !!!
The good thing is that if you have a suitcase full of booze, you won't need to be wearing many clothes anyway

I like to take a plastic travel bottle of rum and/or vodka and some beer with me. I spend plenty at the bars but like to have some handy when in the cabin.

As others have said, when you tip some extra cash you will get stronger drinks. Also, I always order drinks from the bar where I can see them made. The bartender knows you are watching and makes them better. When you get them from a server, the bartender uses this time to skimp a little to make up for the people at the bar that are regulars and tipping better.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Captain

Regarding the 16 year old poster. Get a clue no alcohol for you.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
We just put the bottle in the suitcase... we didn't try to discuise it.(spelling?) we just packed it. and it was there when we got our luggage and so was the beer I packed in the other suitcase...

We still spent plenty on booze.....
I agree with this.....we took booze in our checked luggage. It arrived to our cabin without a problem. This was used for in cabin drinking....not really carried out too much.

If you try to carry it on board ina water bottle, chances are you will get caught with it.

We too spent plenty on the special drinks while on board....they are soooooo good. Monkey head....love it

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old July 19th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

Drink the lemonade or ice tea on board its free!

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old July 19th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I understand what everyone is saying. However, this whole thread was started by a 16 year old who is legally not allowed to drink. She/He attempted to trick us into helping her/him break the law. This is different then budget concerns or the cost of overpriced drinks.

So I want to ask the group how they feel about annoying teens that sneak aclohol on board. They can't handle their liquor and are running at over the ship throwing up in elevators. I would like to hear how people feel about that? I'm I allow to post the question on the teen thread? :evil:

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 19th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro
Times are hard for alot of people now. Some book cruises and up the line lose their jobs or their hours get cut but they still have to pay & go on the cruise they booked. I know of four in my dept alone that cruise all the time and this has just happened to them. If sneaking on alittle liquor takes an edge off their budget so be it. Crusing and vacations are needed to take an edge off of the problems of life and work. I am sure people find they have to do things to make ends meet and there is nothing wrong with it. I guess sneaking liquor on for some is the way to do this. The cruise lines make alot of money. They not only raised their cabin prices by almost double now since last year they also are charging more for the fuel charges from last year. Life is to short let the people enjoy their vacations whether it is cruising or staying at hotels and they do deserve to cruise if they want to. I know alot of people who stay at hotels who take their own bottles of liquor with them. The hotels have bars is that cheating and should they stay home just because they are trying to vacation and save alittle money? Now don't go attacking me on this one I was just replying a thought on this as you were also.
no attacking here... I think you made some very good points! I'll drink to that.

Old July 19th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
I understand what everyone is saying. However, this whole thread was started by a 16 year old who is legally not allowed to drink. She/He attempted to trick us into helping her/him break the law. This is different then budget concerns or the cost of overpriced drinks.

So I want to ask the group how they feel about annoying teens that sneak aclohol on board. They can't handle their liquor and are running at over the ship throwing up in elevators. I would like to hear how people feel about that? I'm I allow to post the question on the teen thread? :evil:
Here's how I feel.... I can't stand adults who can't handle their liquor.
I sure don't want to see a bunch of teens doing it!

Old July 19th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Passenger

We have always taken a small bottle of scotch to enjoy in our cabin. We still buy drinks in the bars because I love the flavored Martinis.

We just wrap the bottle with a t shirt and place in our luggage. By the way, those bottles are plastic.

Carnival Destiny (2)
Carnival Imagination (2)
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Holiday
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Fantasy (3)
Carnival Ecstasy (4)
Caribbean Princess
NCL Starward
Dolphin Cruise
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIACruise Nutt
We have always taken a small bottle of scotch to enjoy in our cabin. We still buy drinks in the bars because I love the flavored Martinis.

We just wrap the bottle with a t shirt and place in our luggage. By the way, those bottles are plastic.

only 5 days left for you... I'm so jealous and very happy for you!! Have a great time. 8) 8)

Old July 19th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Admiral

I just love it when people automatically assume that the cruise lines make big money and therefore shouldn't be concerned with people cheating.

It costs roughly one million dollars a day in maintenence costs when one of these big ships is in drydock. And that is a requirement every two years. The intermidiate upkeep is also quite costly

And that endless supply of top quality food ain't cheap either.

And no, the fares for a cruise have not doubled in the last year...or 5 years for that matter.
The insurance we buy not only covers us if we can't get away from work but also if I lose my job. This insurance is roughly 5% of the cost of the cruise.

To compare a cruise to staying in a hotel is ....just silly.

Using your logic...theft from a supermarket is OK, too.

Having your facts straight is always a plus when you post.
Other than that you make good arguments for cheating.
Old July 19th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
I just love it when people automatically assume that the cruise lines make big money and therefore shouldn't be concerned with people cheating.

It costs roughly one million dollars a day in maintenence costs when one of these big ships is in drydock. And that is a requirement every two years. The intermidiate upkeep is also quite costly

And that endless supply of top quality food ain't cheap either.

And no, the fares for a cruise have not doubled in the last year...or 5 years for that matter.
The insurance we buy not only covers us if we can't get away from work but also if I lose my job. This insurance is roughly 5% of the cost of the cruise.

To compare a cruise to staying in a hotel is ....just silly.

Using your logic...theft from a supermarket is OK, too.

Having your facts straight is always a plus when you post.
Other than that you make good arguments for cheating.
kind of reminds me of bringing a can of soda to the movies instead of stealing

Carnival Destiny - 2000
Norwegian Dawn - April 2006
Crown Princess - June 2007
Norwegian Gem - March 2008
Caribbean Princess - July 2008
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Admiral

Yes Rinker the same cruise on the same ship in the same cabin on the same deck we took each year has gone up. It has more than doubled. The same vacation planner we have used over and over has confirmed this as the truth.

If you compare sneaking liquor into a hotel room to sneaking liquor into a cabin of a ship its actually the same. Both sell drinks for a profit don't they and using your logic its stealing?

(Your quote)-Remember having your facts straight is always a plus when you post live by your words you post. I do I checked the receipts from all our past cruises & stand on the words I posted as the truth in reference to us only.

By the way if you read alot of these posts on this site there sure are alot of thieves on board a ship according to your logic of sneaking liquor on board.

Ferrangi your ok in my book thanks for the tip you passed on to me I wrote the letter tonight & time will tell I'll let you know if I receive an answer.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old July 20th, 2008, 02:06 AM
First Mate

You may think $6.95 is resonable for a drnk however where we live this is way above the norm including the better resturants and hotels. My question would be could you sell more drinks during the entire cruise with better pricing and still deliver a better profit to the bottom line.Several years ago Holland offered happy hour at the cruise bar and was doing a bang up business.The wine list at dinner way over priced and I know they could offer several wines in the $15-20 price range and mayben sell a few bottles.From an expert most places have a better mark up in this price range.We would not be having this discussion if they would charge a fair price for all drinks.Am sure that this is a very important contributor to the bottom line however would not volumn drive the same results and make many cruisers happier. Me for one with over 40 cruisers to date and not have to be the smuggler.
Old July 20th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro
Yes Rinker the same cruise on the same ship in the same cabin on the same deck we took each year has gone up. It has more than doubled. The same vacation planner we have used over and over has confirmed this as the truth.
Your original post stated "raised their cabin prices by almost double since last year"

Now you say it gone up each year it has more than doubled. Which is it...doubled since you began cruising or doubled in the last year?
If it is in the last year, get a new TA.

Cruising has not doubled in the last year.

In fact, we paid about 100.00 more for our outside cabin in February of this year than we did for an inside on the same ship in 1997!!!

Yes, I mistakely used the word "theft" one time when I really meant cheating. (Like that's a good thing)
Old July 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
This whole thread was started by a 16 year old who is legally not allowed to drink. She/He attempted to trick us into helping her/him break the law.
From a purely technical standpoint, you're incorrect about it being "illegal". In the USA, laws about liquor purchase and consumption are deferred to States. Federal code is mute on that subject. On the high seas, a drinking teenager might be breaking a rule of the ship, but he isn't breaking any law. Teens holding liquor at a port might or might not be breaking the law -- it depends on the state.

I feel the same way about them as anybody else who breaks a ships rule. If it doesn't affect me, I don't concern myself with it. I lump the lounge-savers, dress-code-ignorers, and teen drinkers in th same category.

Also I don't see any "trick". The OP never claimed to be older and this forum doesn't have any age limit.

Living and letting others live, Aidan
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Rinker I don't know what else I could say to you except we have our receipts to show that the same cruise has gone up year after year to prove what I say and if you can't except my words as the truth pertaining to the cruises we have taken its your problem not mine. We just booked it again and yes it has gone way up since last year. So chill already on the issue and move on. I told the truth and it seems you have a problem with it.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011